Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
cactusman
Great Britain

#1 Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by cactusman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:29 pm

I ordered the two front to rear looms for my car as what is there is bodge city and I had to run an extra lead for the reverse light when I bought the car as there was no wire present.

So Dec 15th I ordered from Autosparks.
Got an immediate reply saying it would take 8-9 weeks which was fine....perishing cold in January I thought.

Got them last weekend so about five/six weeks...incl Xmas too...

Today I looked carefully at them. Not only does the off side loom have the missing lead for the reverse light but so, as far as i can tell, does the near side loom too...so I have a spare wire...fab.

In spite of the cold i have fitted the offside loom.

Beautifully finished in woven sleeve. All wires colour coded as per original diagram. Length perfect. Terminations exactly right.

So a big thumbs up to Autosparks for a top job....and i have no connection to them what ever other than as a happy customer. :bigrin: :bigrin:

If you need wiring looms then I would recommend them...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#2 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi
I’ve got the complete set of 3.8 looms from them. Coincidentally, I opened up the engine bay loom this afternoon to start labelling up all the connections. I agree with you 100% - they appear to be superb quality and match the wiring diags perfectly. I’m hoping to get the engine bay loom laid out on the frames later this week.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bobb
Eritrea

#3 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by Bobb » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Does 'superb quality' mean the exact same bullet ends that are soldered in place as opposed to different style bullets just crimped on?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by cactusman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:01 pm

They are crimped on with a heavy duty press tool I presume...just as the original ones were. They look almost identical. They are not the sort one can easily crimp at home and they are NOT the naff quality amateur crimped bullets you fit with a hand crimper either. Rest assured they seem excellent.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#5 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:13 pm

In my experience, soldered or crimped, done correctly each is just as effective. Similarly, they can both be botched. I have only inspected one of the several loom sets, but having made some up in the past I am happy with what I have seen. Whether they would pass muster with the originality squad - don’t know (don’t care).
Have you had issues with their products before Bobb?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by christopher storey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:25 am

Their products are superb in my experience . On the subject of soldered connections, the problem with solder which eventually arises is dry joints as the solder ages with vibration, heating/cooling cycles etc.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#7 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by rswaffie » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:58 am

Christopher- very true regarding dry joints. Since they removed the lead I believe. Had loads of problems with that on a Panasonic TV - the circuit board was next to the psu and the heating/cooling cycle caused the solder to crack.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bobb
Eritrea

#8 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by Bobb » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:12 pm

"Have you had issues with their products before Bobb?"

Yes Richard. I bought an engine compartment harness from SNG and had several wires pull out of the bullets when unplugging them to rearrange the harness routing. I removed the effing harness and went around and soldered all connections. I also replaced some of the lugs that I thought...knew to be excrement quality. Having 41 years experience working on aircraft wiring in the RCAF makes me pretty cocky about this. If I'm ever in the same position, I'll buy brass bullets, new wiring, and make my own harness. I can live without the fancy cloth covering.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#9 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by christopher storey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:34 pm

Bobb : you have said this before, and as far as I know you have no evidence that this was an Autosparks loom at all . All I can say is that those of us who have dealt with Autosparks as such ( instead of guessing who had manufactured the loom ) have as far as I know had great satisfaction from their products

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#10 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by Series1 Stu » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:13 pm

Whilst the information above is mostly accurate I would like to make one point of order and that is that dry solder joints are made dry at the point they are made, they don't become dry joints with age, vibration or anything else that might in some way cause a solder joint to fail. I'm not saying they don't fail I'm saying that a dry joint has always been a dry joint from the moment the solder cooled down after making it.

Some interesting (yawn) data for you. This shows just how reliable electrical connections are if made correctly.

Solder joints failure frequency 0.0026 times per million hours of use. Crimped joint failure frequency is 0.00026 times per million hours. This is official data from thorough (proper) research and maintenance records over decades of gathering by government agencies and defence contractors.

Notable is that crimped joints are an order of magnitude more reliable than soldered joints. Although soldered joints aren't exactly troublesome. Obviously, the joints need to be properly made in the first place.

As for wiring looms, I believe mine came from Hutsons and are great quality with proper turned bullet connectors rather than those crappy thin walled drawn items that seem to be favoured these days. No complaints on that score.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Turnip
Great Britain

#11 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by Turnip » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:37 am

I also have had bullets pull off when separating connectors for re-routing. Definitely Autosparks looms, as they were bought directly from them. Mind you, I did buy them a few years ago and maybe things have changed since then.

Simon
1965 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#12 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by 1954Etype » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:18 am

I have had bullets pull off as well. Mainly where it is a heavy load wire. Still happy with the product overall though and the one in my OTS has been in place for 7 years with no issues.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#13 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by ralphr1780 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:58 pm

cactusman wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:29 pm
Today I looked carefully at them. Not only does the off side loom have the missing lead for the reverse light but so, as far as i can tell, does the near side loom too...so I have a spare wire...fab.
You can use it for a rear fog lamp.
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
cactusman
Great Britain

#14 Re: Wiring looms...an Autospsrks fan.

Post by cactusman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:17 pm

that is the cunning plan Ralph.

Just to comment on the bullets issue. The ones fitted are cylindrical with the crimp entirely surrounding the wire...essentially they have crimped a copper tube doen onto the wire with, presumably, some heavy duty tool as far as I can see. These are a world away from the hand crimped crap red/blue/yellow things where two tangs are bent to grip the wires. These crimps are a waste of time and pull out with ease no matter how well they appear to be crimped.

If I make my own wires I will always use soldered brass bullets as these to me are far better than the hand crimped blue/red/yellow rubbish terminals.

As someone else says, dry joints are dry from day one. Thermal cycling or vibration can destroy soldered joints although this is very unlikely in a well soldered brass bullet.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic