Headlamp bowl retaining set screw size

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Jeremy66
Great Britain

#1 Headlamp bowl retaining set screw size

Post by Jeremy66 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:50 pm

As per title, I’m finally at the stage to put the bonnet fittings together, can someone tell me what size the set screws that bolt the headlamp bowls to the diaphragm panels are please, after fun and games with the BA nuts that hold the wiring Block in place I’d like to order these only once!

Thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#2 Re: Headlamp bowl retaining set screw size

Post by Durango2k » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:14 am

Have a look at my thread (read from the beginning): it is N10-32 UNF.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11872&p=96288&hilit=Xks#p96288

SNG do not sell them, as far as I could find out. I asked them for the BD number given at XKS, but the first reply was they sell sheet metal screws for this (which are the ones to keep the lamp ring on the silver bowl), second reply was like „sold out never seen“.

IF you find some with the correct head, please tell me, I need about 5, as I have about 4 leftover plus spare.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jeremy66
Great Britain

#3 Re: Headlamp bowl retaining set screw size

Post by Jeremy66 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi Carsten

Thanks very much, I’m not sure what sort of head they should have but I’ve managed to get some stainless pan head set screws from my local fixing supplier which will do the job nicely, just the right length to fix the bowls to the diaphragm with the rubber seal in place and a spring washer underneath without bottoming our in the blind hole in the diaphragm. :drinkingcheers:

If they are what you need let me know and I’ll get you some.

Regards

Jeremy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#4 Re: Headlamp bowl retaining set screw size

Post by Durango2k » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:15 pm

Could you post a picture ?

The XKS - link shows them as their heads should look like. Most others I managed to find have a flatter head.

Look here :

http://xks.com/i-23896652-screw-kit-hea ... -1603.html

If yours are similar, yes I‘d like to have 5 of them. I cannot buy them in germany that easy, I have to mail-order them from somewhere.

Many thanks !

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jeremy66
Great Britain

#5 Re: Headlamp bowl retaining set screw size

Post by Jeremy66 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Ok you have a chocolate car, the shorter screw with the larger head is stainless, I think the length is just about perfect, the longer screw with the more period correct Head is slightly longer and may need a couple of threads cutting off, it is colour zinc passivate plated.

I’ve not decided which I’m going to use, both sit nicely inside the headlamp bowl. Both screws are shown fully screwed in to the diaphragm panel.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#6 Re: Headlamp bowl retaining set screw size

Post by Durango2k » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Chocolate, well, err, no.

I just try to keep it as it came out of Coventry back then, and if I have a choice to go for the correct item or a repro I usually try to go for the repro and repair it.

Same here, I mean a set of them costs 1.31 USD at xks, the problem is getting them here.

I thought I might find similars, but no luck.

Did you manage to find the springs yet (for the adjuster screws ?).

Carsten

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jeremy66
Great Britain

#7 Re: Headlamp bowl retaining set screw size

Post by Jeremy66 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Damn my predictive text on the phone!!!!!

I meant to say you have a choice between the two different pattern screws in the photos, let me know which you would like.

These screws retain the backing bowls to the diaphragm, I won’t use springs on the beam level adjuster screws, I’ve bought a cheap pair of mini headlamp bowls and taken the black nylon adjusters and screws off them, not original but they work and the modern reproduction bowls don’t accept the correct old part!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#8 Re: Headlamp bowl retaining set screw size

Post by Durango2k » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:08 am

Hi Jeremy,

I think the lower screw looks more like the original. I can take a picture of my 4 original ones. The upper one which has a more cylindrical head does nit look original.

Back to the adjuster bolts, I have a set of 4 original ones plus a set I bought at SNG (thought I lost the original ones... and found them, but too late). I‘ll use the original ones, together with restored black bowls.

The springs I mentioned are not of the coil type. They are like a piece of wire, pressing on the side of the hex heads, so they cannot turn.

Carsten

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic