Struggling with headlight assemblies, what’s wrong?

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Jeremy66
Great Britain

#1 Struggling with headlight assemblies, what’s wrong?

Post by Jeremy66 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:48 pm

I’m having a lot of trouble assembling the headlights on my s1 4.2, the old bowls and indeed the entire old bonnet was fit only for the bin.

The new bowls are Martin Robey items and after some faffing about I’ve got the near side unit in, in order to have the sealed beam unit orientated in the right direction the two adjuster screws are at 12 o’clock and 9 o’clock as you look at the headlamp.

I’m now doing the drivers side (rhd car) and the diaphragm panel is only drilled in two places which would put the adjuster screws at 6 o’clock and 3 o’clock. I don’t know the history of the bonnet having bought it as a repairable newish bonnet (i replaced the near side diaphragm panel which was damaged and the new panel has four adjuster holes drilled in it).

To confuse me further an original bowl I have looks to have had the adjusters at 6 o’clock and 3 o’clock which would tally with the bonnet but put the sealed beam unit upside down.

Before I go completely mad or resort to drilling another two holes in the diaphragm panel on the off side to enable me to fit the adjusters at 12 o’clock and 9 o’clock can someone tell me what’s going on please!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jeremy66
Great Britain

#2 Re: Struggling with headlight assemblies, what’s wrong?

Post by Jeremy66 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Just found these photos of the old bonnet, I guess this means the repro bowls I have or the fittings in them are wrong

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Struggling with headlight assemblies, what’s wrong?

Post by cactusman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:25 am

Pretty sure both sides should have them at 12 and 9 O@Clock as you look at them. I had to do a bit of drillingto get things to fit. It is, ahem, hard to tell what your oiriginal bowls were as they have a little "surface corrosion" :bigrin: The bowls should have flats at the backs so the wheels do not rub on them...the std round back bowls as used on numerous 1960's cars....around £13. Ones with a slice removed and a flat bit welded in specific to an e type....loadsamoney!
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jeremy66
Great Britain

#4 Re: Struggling with headlight assemblies, what’s wrong?

Post by Jeremy66 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:23 pm

It looks like the inner bowl may be series 1 e type specific which makes sense, the e type has the bowls upside down compared to other cars so the wiring exits from the top rather than the bottom hence why ‘standard’ inner bowls / build retainers make the bulb fix upside down, I fear another wallet bashing at SNG tomorrow.

You’d be amazed how much of the car looked like that bonnet but has been resurrected😊

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic