Lucas Helmet Battery Terminal

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#1 Lucas Helmet Battery Terminal

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:40 pm

Hi Everyone

I’m in the process of disguising a modern battery inside a Lincoln battery case. It’s a long story and something that Rory (rfs1957) has done already.
Anyway I’ve decided to use the original style Lucas helmets to connect the cables. I was fortunate enough to have a positive earth helmet complete with braided strap which I think fits a Mini. As a first step I needed to remove the strap which seemed to be a simple matter of applying heat to the helmet neck, melt thei solder inside and remove the strap. Unfortunately as soon as I applied heat the neck melted. It appears to have been made completely of solder-is this normal practice?
I’ve ordered a set from SNGB but now wonder if I will face the same problem again. I thought it would be a case of just melting solder inside the neck and inserting the bared cable end. If not what is the correct procedure?

Cheers

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Lucas Helmet Battery Terminal

Post by cactusman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 am

You may need to check with SNGB. I know that helmet style terminals are available (mostly in the U.S.) and they are brass. You fit your cable, solder it and tin the rest of the top to get the silvered appearance. I guess your old mini one was simply lead cast onto the braid....maybe that was how they were made. If you get another pre-wired one then get a file and gently scrape the bottom a bit. If it reveals brass below then you can un solder it. If not you might wind up with just another molten mess.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#3 Re: Lucas Helmet Battery Terminal

Post by Heuer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 am

The SNGB ones are (or were) lead cast onto the braided wire.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#4 Re: Lucas Helmet Battery Terminal

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I've checked with SNGB and they confirmed that the terminals are made of lead but do not melt with the application of heat.
The ones I have ordered do not have the cables prefitted, they have a different part number apparently. In any case I doubt they'ed be long enough because my battery sits with the terminals facing out towards the bonnet. In the end you must be able to solder the cable into these helmets somehow so what SNGB have said makes sense-time will tell.

Cheers

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#5 Re: Lucas Helmet Battery Terminal

Post by cactusman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 pm

Pure lead melts at 327.5 Deg C. Get it to this temp and it will soften...assuming it is pur elead and not an alloy with something else with a higher melting point. Your standard Sn/Pb 60/40 alloy melts at about 185 Deg C give or take so you would be safe using a 50 watt (or more) soldering iron at 300 Deg C or so tip temp but dont use a huge blow lamp!
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic