RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

ralphr1780
Belgium

#21 Re: RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Post by ralphr1780 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Richard, here is a snapshot of mine (LHD) where you see the 3 purple wires on fuse 8 (one is braided):

And if you go with the wiring diagram, you will find that there are only 3 purple wires converging on fuse 8:
cigar lighter
map light
flasher and turn signal
url=https://postimages.org/]Image[/url]
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#22 Re: RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Post by rswaffie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks Ralph. Yes, the diagram I am using is the same as yours, and when I trace through the 3 non braided purples, they go to the Cigar lighter, map light and flasher/turn connectors. The braided does not trace through to anything as far as I can tell. That's why I've connected the 3 non braided to F8. You have a fourth purple wire in your photo (non-braided) that leaves the loom with the others - where is that connected to?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#23 Re: RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Post by ralphr1780 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:51 am

Richard the "4th" which you see in the photo is simply one of the 2 non-braided folded before entering the loom. There is no 4th purple to be connected to the fuses. You certainly are looking at the other side of the purples, most likely the one which should go to the map switch. Using your multimeter you will find out it is one end of one of the other 3.
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#24 Re: RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Post by rswaffie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks for the update. It looks like we have different looms then - my braided 4th purple cable isn’t the other end of any other purple wire as already proven. I used my multimeter and identified every other wire in the panel and dash looms via continuity testing. I’ve emailed Autosparks to see what they can tell me.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

TonyA
Australia

#25 Re: RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Post by TonyA » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Pretty sure the purple wire your looking at is power to the clock usually goes to the fused side but have seen it on the other. Originally it was brown but changed on later cars. The confusion on voltage stabiliser wires one feeds from the fuse box the other three connectors (in one loom) two spade and one eyelet are feed from the fused green wire at the stabiliser junction. Hope this helps

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#26 Re: RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Thanks Tony. I did think it might be the clock feed, but the brown feed from fuse 8 which goes to the clock is already traced through from the existing 3 purple connections at fuse 8. It's almost as if it has been put in the loom by mistake. I'm half tempted to see if it will pull out!
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

TonyA
Australia

#27 Re: RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Post by TonyA » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:05 pm

How many brown wires do you have connected at Fuse box 8? I have a new auto sparks harness I'm currently fitting and there is only one brown to F8 and its a fed from F3. I have four purple wires they are as follows
1 Goes to indicator / flasher switch
2 Goes to bulb map light
3 Goes to cigar lighter and interior light
4 Clock feed changed on later cars mostly 4.2.

Clock feed changed on S1 4.2 cars. It changes to brown at bullet connector
wire feed to clock and you should get this in the sub harness kit.
I have no spare brown wire in my harness to feed the clock.
The purple comes out of the harness with indicator tell tales, low fuel, brake warning and
tacho wires.
If you have doubts give Autosparks a call I'm sure they can assist.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#28 Re: RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi Tony,

I have a brown connected to the right side of F8 and currently 3 non braided purple cables to the left side of F8, which match the connections you describe for 1,2 &3 in your loom. The brown, as you say, linked to f3. I appear to be missing the clock cable as well from the sundries pack, although it is listed in their sheet (which should be brown from the clock to the f8 fuse according to the wiring diag for the 3.8). However, the diag suggests the clock cable is a single loom cable - i.e. no bullet connections in the run. The cable you have exiting with the indicator tell tales - is that braided? I will double check this part of my loom.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

TonyA
Australia

#29 Re: RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Post by TonyA » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:08 pm

Yes it is the cotton braided wire. The brown wire in the sub harness kit for the clock is only 2'' or so long.
If you look at the wiring diagram someone posted in this thread it shows the purple wire changing to brown at the clock connection point.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#30 Re: RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:40 pm

Great, thanks.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#31 Re: RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Post by rswaffie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:43 pm

So, having had an email from AutoSparks, they have advised that the braided purple in my loom terminates with a bunch of wires near the indicator bulbs. So, as all the other purple wires have been connected, it only leaves the clock connection that the diags suggest should be brown, but was changed later to purple. So that’s what I’m going with!
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

poofacio
Great Britain

#32 Re: RHD 3.8 Instrument panel wiring.

Post by poofacio » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:44 pm

An RF toner ( as used by telephone engineers) is really good for tracing wires
61 RHD OBL DHC
61 flat floor DHC
61 FHC
63 FHC
66 FHC (QUAD LIGHTS)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links