Engine mounting

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Chrisx
Germany

#1 Engine mounting

Post by Chrisx » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:10 am

Hi, the disassembly of my FHC is ongoing. Next is coming the rear axle and Engine. In the moment in the car there is installed a 4.2l engine instead of the original 3.8l Engine. As you can see on the picture there is a cutout on the reactionplate for the supporting bracket of the clutch housing. The Gearbox is the original one.

Does anybody know the reason? Is the length of the 4.2l Engine different from the 3.8l engine? Are there different kind of reactionplate or brackets?

BR Chris

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dawnpatrol
Great Britain

#2 Re: Engine mounting

Post by Dawnpatrol » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:54 am

Hi Chris,
The problem is the two 90 deg corner brackets that brace the bell-housing to the block. They are not E-type, could be MK2 or MK X.
On the E-type they have a dog leg in the long side to clear the reaction plate.
4.2 block or 3.8 does not make a difference here.
I would modify the two brackets to E-type spec, easy to do, then you have some clearance.
The reaction plates are, IMO, over designed, there is scope to dress out the sharp edges on yours and reuse, they are same 3.8 and 4.2.

ATB
Mike
Michael
1961 OTS LWE, 1965 OTS, 1966 FHC.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Chrisx
Germany

#3 Re: Engine mounting

Post by Chrisx » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:03 am

Thanks, i found the right one at SNG they look different to my one. The installed engine is not from an E Type but came with the original one beside. The installed engine is newer than the car maybe from an xj.

Chris

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic