Radio console - speaker cover panels for 3.8

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 Radio console - speaker cover panels for 3.8

Post by rswaffie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 am

Hi All,
I an getting ready to start the re-trimming of my 63 FHC. For me, one of the attractions of the 3.8 is the alloy instrument and console panels and the more streamlined look of the speaker grilles with the chrome surrounds. I've noticed on mine, that it seems to have the more 'raised' speaker cover panels (without the chrome surrounds), that appear to be separate to the radio console frame as seen on the 4.2's. The 3.8's I've seen pics of have a much flatter cover panel. When did they change from flat to raised - was it during the 3.8 run, or when they moved to the 4.2? Parts listings suggest that BD26202/3 are the raised panels for a 4.2, but I can't find a panel cover listed for the 3.8. Was it just a vinyl/foam trim panel with a hole to match the radio console frame?
Thanks in advance,

Richard.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Radio console - speaker cover panels for 3.8

Post by Heuer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:31 am

Your car would originally have had the black vinyl dash and centre console so not the alloy dash of the earlier cars. It would also have had the speaker housings you describe - basically the 4.2 style. This change happened in September 1963 from cars 850752, 861254, 879803 and 889030. It would also have had door armrests and the centre console armrest/cubby.

You should put it back the way it was otherwise ou are going to have to change a lot of parts
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: Radio console - speaker cover panels for 3.8

Post by rswaffie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:38 pm

I'm too far along the retro-fit route now to put it back. The trim was too far gone in most places anyway. There were still cars rolling off the line in Jan '64 with either complete or part alloy trim where stock allowed apparently so I look on it as merely replicating the customer options at the time :wink:

Out of interest, you note that I would have to change a lot of parts - can you advise what would need changing? I know the radio frame will need replacing with the earlier 3.8 version, as the raised speaker covers on my later version are integral to it and can't be removed separately. However, the prop/gb cover is the same part number for the 3.8 & 4.2 and SNGB have confirmed that the earlier radio console will fit the later 3.8 cover. The ash-tray assembly is the same part number by the looks of it as well. Not sure about the radio blanking parts though. What else am I missing?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: Radio console - speaker cover panels for 3.8

Post by Heuer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:02 pm

You will need the radio console, speaker grills, ashtray and panel assembly brackets together with the knurled knobs and chrome plated screws to hold it all together. You will need new tapped mounting holes. The cover is the same.

All cars from 850752, 861254, 879803 and 889030 had the later trim. Jaguar would not have sent any cars out of the Factory with all or part alloy trim once the Parts Bulletin had been issued as it would have caused confusion in the dealer service network. Neither where alloy dash items fitted as a 'customer option' for the same reason. The stories of using up old parts are apocryphal I'm afraid - Jaguar were not a fly by night company but a huge and well respected car maker.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

edriver
Germany

#5 Re: Radio console - speaker cover panels for 3.8

Post by edriver » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi Richard,

how is the conversion to aluminium trim coming along? My FHC is 889633 and I will do the same, but keep the PU leather trim from Aldrige for a swap at any time later. I found that the radio console on my car has 2 upper fixing points with screws (for the knurled type BD17589) and two lower fixing points for nuts. My radio console wasn't even attached to these points, but fastened with self tapping screws. I am now replacing the upper brackets with BD19049 (LH) and BD19050 (RH) from SNG. This way I can fit the radio console properly. I will not use the lower mounting points and I hope that the carpet will cover them.

Next mystery is the gear shifter dome (between the centre console topper and the radio console face plate). I thought that the aluminium trim will fit on top of the steel part, that was covered with leather before. Well, it does not fit over it, so I assume the the aluminium part will replace the steel part outright. It is a bit wide and does not fit to the centre console from below.

I do have a problem finding speakers that fit the slim 3.8 radio console. The Sony radio and speakers that I took out were probably from the 90's. The holes to attach the speakers are 120mm apart (measured across) and the depth of the speakers should be no more than 30 or 35mm. I have been looking for weeks already.

Best regards, Klaus
Klaus
1963 FHC 889633, 1979 Porsche 928, 1991 Mazda MX-5

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

64etype
United States of America

#6 Re: Radio console - speaker cover panels for 3.8

Post by 64etype » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Interesting discussion. My car is 889474. The radio console is the early style with chrome speaker bezels. It uses the brackets BD19049/19050. It does not have the lower mounting studs on the chassis tunnel (or evidence that they were removed). It has arm rests. The ash tray is the interim "oval with wings" style and not the rectangular shape. According to Haddock/Porter, the material on the early style front finisher panel changed from aluminum to leather on the dates listed in David's post above. Haddock's book says the radio console itself was changed at 850786, 861388, 880631, and 889525 (attributed to Porter). I used vinyl and not aluminum for the early configuration radio panel.
Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gmaunder
Great Britain

#7 Re: Radio console - speaker cover panels for 3.8

Post by gmaunder » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:16 am

As a new member I just wanted to say how pleased I am with the radio and speakers I have just fitted in my type 1.5 convertible.

I wanted a radio that looked like it was from the correct era but had the advantage of bluetooth and DAB radio.

I eventually opted for the San Diego model from RetroSound who also do very shallow speakers which sound great.

Retro Sound do a large variety of designs and the big advantage is that the actual bulk of the radio behind the facia is a lot slimmer than the normal radios so you can get deeper speakers if needed.

Here are the links for what I got:

Radio: https://www.retrocarstuff.com/shop/clas ... san-diego/

Speakers: https://www.retrocarstuff.com/shop/spea ... 525n-r525n

Hope this helps people with their search! I'll try and post some pics later but fitting was very straightforward with the only issue being trimming the speaker grill to fit inside the leather console - 2 minutes with a jigsaw!

Looking forward to getting lots of help and advice on here!

Graham

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lee-type
Great Britain

#8 Re: Radio console - speaker cover panels for 3.8

Post by lee-type » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:47 pm

gmaunder wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:16 am
As a new member I just wanted to say how pleased I am with the radio and speakers I have just fitted in my type 1.5 convertible.

I wanted a radio that looked like it was from the correct era but had the advantage of bluetooth and DAB radio.

I eventually opted for the San Diego model from RetroSound who also do very shallow speakers which sound great.

Retro Sound do a large variety of designs and the big advantage is that the actual bulk of the radio behind the facia is a lot slimmer than the normal radios so you can get deeper speakers if needed.

Here are the links for what I got:

Radio: https://www.retrocarstuff.com/shop/clas ... san-diego/

Speakers: https://www.retrocarstuff.com/shop/spea ... 525n-r525n

Hope this helps people with their search! I'll try and post some pics later but fitting was very straightforward with the only issue being trimming the speaker grill to fit inside the leather console - 2 minutes with a jigsaw!

Looking forward to getting lots of help and advice on here!

Graham

Good evening Graham

How is you sound system working out?

What type of DAB arial have you fitted?

All the best Lee
Lee
S1 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gmaunder
Great Britain

#9 Re: Radio console - speaker cover panels for 3.8

Post by gmaunder » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:47 am

Hi Lee
The radio comes with an optional 'DAB aerial converter' that fits in-line with the existing aerial and is working well.
Overall I'm extremely pleased with the look, sound and performance of this radio.
Hope this helps.
Graham

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic