Fosseway brake upgrade

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#1 Fosseway brake upgrade

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Sun May 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Just thought I’d post some photos and info related to my Fosseway brake upgrade installation. First, kudos to Simon at Fosseway for great communications. He answered all my questions quickly and was pleasant to deal with. I had a very minor issue that he resolved quickly for me over the weekend.

I chose to go with the basic upgrade to larger lightweight calipers only as opposed to vented rotors which I decided would be a bit of overkill since I don’t plan on any track or auto-cross events and I’m not particularly concerned about brake fade from heat buildup. And reverting back to the original setup will be very easy if desired since no hub removal, etc.

I’ve included photos showing the upgrade in process. I forgot to take photos of the kit before I started this install, but you can see the calipers and the brake lines and the pads, etc. I’m quite lucky to have a lift with bridge jacks in my garage, so that made the whole process even simpler.

While I haven’t finished yet, so far it’s been very simple. I was a little worried about removing the dust shield (having not done it before and since none of the manuals say how to do it), but it was very straight forward and simple. Took just a few minutes to take off the shields and then another couple of minutes to remove the old calipers.

Assembly of the brake kit brackets onto the new calipers and loading up the new pads, etc. was quite simple. Routing the new braided line took a bit of a think and some experimentation to make sure there would be no rubbing, but also rather straight forward. I have to say the quality of the materials of the calipers and brackets and braided line is quite nice and the instructions are easy to follow.

Once I’ve finished the install and bled the system and done some road tests, I’ll follow up this posting.

Cheers,
Kevin

1963 3.8L S1 OTS - apparently resurrected from multiple sources because not a single number matches :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#2 Re: Fosseway brake upgrade

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Sun May 13, 2018 7:16 pm

An update. Was able to finish one side this afternoon. Again, an easy installation. Left side is now fully installed and bled. Will do the right side sometime in the next couple of days as I need some brake fluid. Here are the photos of the finished left side.

1963 3.8L S1 OTS - apparently resurrected from multiple sources because not a single number matches :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#3 Re: Fosseway brake upgrade

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Some additional photos. The brakes are finished and are great. Better pedal feel which is what I was after. Still bedding in the pads but very happy with final results. And, again, Simon at Fosseway is great to deal with.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bill B
United States of America

#4 Re: Fosseway brake upgrade

Post by Bill B » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:44 pm

Is your front suspensions plated or painted?

TIA
S1 OTS 4.2 1966
I really go to put this thing back together

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#5 Re: Fosseway brake upgrade

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:52 pm

You know....I have no idea. Plated perhaps. I just went out and scraped it with a metal object and the finish didn’t come off, so I doubt it’s painted unless it’s powder coated, and I don’t think it is. I really never gave it much thought. It was like that when I bought the car. I think I’ll just tell everyone it’s titanium 😁. I can try to take some close up photos if that will help?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bill B
United States of America

#6 Re: Fosseway brake upgrade

Post by Bill B » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:57 pm

very kind offer. But, not necessary. I just painted mine and am having second thoughts about the look.
S1 OTS 4.2 1966
I really go to put this thing back together

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#7 Re: Fosseway brake upgrade

Post by Jeremy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:58 pm

+1 for Simon at Fosseway. Excellent guy, good quality products, very helpful when asked dumb questions.
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#8 Re: Fosseway brake upgrade

Post by christopher storey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:25 am

I am full of admiration for the lockwiring ! Mine always looks scruffy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#9 Re: Fosseway brake upgrade

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks. Here’s the tool I used. Made it very easy. Took a couple of tries, but in the end I’m happy with the results.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#10 Re: Fosseway brake upgrade

Post by Gfhug » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Christopher, can you imagine the skill of those in the RAF (and elsewhere) who were required to learn how to do as neat a job in a part of an aircraft they can't actually see when they are doing the wire locking, all done by feel.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Colin Pearcy
Great Britain

#11 Re: Fosseway brake upgrade

Post by Colin Pearcy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:31 pm

when fitting the Fossway front callipers in this article did you have to change the size / diameter of the brake cylinder as the amount of brake fluid to be moved may be different ?
Colin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic