Airbox or Ram Pipes

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
JRB
Great Britain

#1 Airbox or Ram Pipes

Post by JRB » Tue May 29, 2018 9:35 pm

Dear all,

My apologies if this is the millionth times this has been covered.. I’m debating taking off my plenum/filter drum and running with open mesh covered ram pipes - possibly with ITG socks? Anyone have any thoughts on ie is it asking for dirt ingress or with socks it might be ok? Anyone else tried anything else they’re happy with? Personally I prefer the look and it sounds better too!

James

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#2 Re: Airbox or Ram Pipes

Post by Tony » Wed May 30, 2018 8:38 am

Depends if you want a quiet or a noisy E Type. Induction noise cAn become very tiring on a long journey. I like my E Type quiet. The air box has to be better than a mesh or a sock and the car runs better when it is receiving cool air rather than hot engine air. I suppose if you have a highly tuned engine then the mesh or socks may make sense.
Tony (E typed)

1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JRB
Great Britain

#3 Re: Airbox or Ram Pipes

Post by JRB » Wed May 30, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks Tony, comments gratefully received. Engine certainly NOT tuned.. (I wish) v.standard. But I don't often tour/do long runs so its something I could live with but appreciate the hot air is not ideal. Will ponder!
james

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#4 Re: Airbox or Ram Pipes

Post by politeperson » Wed May 30, 2018 9:05 am

James, The ITG sausage is the most effective method of filtering the air. The ITG "socks" look better but give slightly worse results according to those that know at Emerald.

Doubt you would notice though on the road.

As far as noise goes, I find that you only get a significnt induction roar when the car is used in anger. Otherwise it is much the same as with the original barrel and plenum.

So on the motorway, the ITG sausage filter does not produce significantly more noise than the original set up, as long as the throttle is less than half way down (which it is on my car below a ton).

I have used it on a +40bhp .39 lift, ported, big valve tuned engine (above) and a standard 4.2 engine (below).

The big valve engine makes slightly more of a roar.

When you floor it of course it sounds like Thunderbirds are taking off. Which I like.

Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JRB
Great Britain

#5 Re: Airbox or Ram Pipes

Post by JRB » Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 am

Thank you and photos looks great! I'm sticking to my SU's so individual 'socks' may be best - always keen for some Thunderbird noise - considering removing the baffle off the exhaust so that should liven things up a little! James

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: Airbox or Ram Pipes

Post by Heuer » Wed May 30, 2018 11:53 am

If you are using SU's the fitting of most style of ram pipes will reduce power. This is because they cause turbulence in the intake air. All well documented on the Forum: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3394

So you will end up with more noise and less power. If you want to increase power then keep the Jaguar inlet pipes and fit the Mangoletsi ITG 'silver' filter from SNGB. You will need to change the SU needles to match (to UE) but expect a 6% increase in power (Jaguar's quoted figure) along with more noise under hard acceleration. The filter also looks good: https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Englis ... 00fcfac643

If you are wedded to ram pipes the only ones that will work correctly are those supplied by BCCP in the Netherlands which are shaped like donuts. However the only air filters which will fit with these are the K&N filters and you can't use them on a RHD car without modification. The BCCP ram pipes are also quite expensive.

Suggest you go with the Mangoletsi filter and dump the plenum or fit the £70 ITG Maxogen filter and push it into the plenum neck: viewtopic.php?p=22953#p22953

I use the Maxogen on my OTS and it is superb. Looks almost stock, only slightly more induction noise and more power.

As regards exhaust noise you can fit straight through silencers in place of the baffled stock ones. You can expect 10% power increase (Jaguar's quoted figure) but under no circumstances fit tubular manifolds or a big bore system as you will loose torque between 2,250 and 2,750rpm. Jaguar knew what they were doing with their XK engine and it is very easy to screw things up by changing things without understanding the consequences!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JRB
Great Britain

#7 Re: Airbox or Ram Pipes

Post by JRB » Wed May 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi David, that’s superb! Thank you and I think achieves the best of both worlds. With regards to the exhaust - definitely not going off standard, but considering taking out the main baffle/exhaust boxes under the car and just having straight through pipes to the existing tailpipes. What do you think? James

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#8 Re: Airbox or Ram Pipes

Post by Tom W » Wed May 30, 2018 3:42 pm

If you mean substituting the main silencers for plain pipe, as per Jaguar’s period race handbook. I tried that, it’s very, very loud.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#9 Re: Airbox or Ram Pipes

Post by Heuer » Wed May 30, 2018 5:18 pm

As Tom says it would be very loud and also probably illegal as you are not silencing the exhaust which is a Construction and Use requirement. The standard silencers are baffled with sound deadening material surrounding them in the box. Straight through silencers consist of a perforated tube surrounded by sound deadening material. The resonators are already straight through with perforated tubes.

Suggest you try the air filter modification and see how you get on with the noise and then consider what you want to do with the silencers. I have straight through silencers on my OTS and stock mild steel silencers on my FHC. They both sound great but for different reasons - the FHC is as Jaguar intended with a gorgeous snarl under throttle but stealthy during normal driving; the OTS is very vocal under throttle but tolerable under normal conditions.

When you are driving an E-Type you do not need to shout "look at me" as the design already takes care of that!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JRB
Great Britain

#10 Re: Airbox or Ram Pipes

Post by JRB » Wed May 30, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks David, good points and all well presented. I was a little under whelmed with the exhaust note so thought some minor mods. may make it sound faster than its usually driven! Will check adherence to decibels etc. and I think follow the suggested path and sort plenum first with the Mangoletsi filter option first. James

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#11 Re: Airbox or Ram Pipes

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Wow....lots of great info. Great forum!
1963 3.8L S1 OTS - apparently resurrected from multiple sources because not a single number matches :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic