Remind me please..dash top removal

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 Remind me please..dash top removal

Post by andrewh » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:18 pm

I have to pull the dash top off my 4.2 as the blessed washer pipe has blown off the washer jet, no doubt due to the heat making the pipe soft. Anyway, with the central vent in the way and the bracket for the windscreen stay and the wiper rack, I am grumpy to put it mildly. Anyway, I will have to take off the dash top, can someone remind me where the nuts are located and how many there are to remove please? Could not find it in the manual . thx Andrew
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Turnip
Great Britain

#2 Re: Remind me please..dash top removal

Post by Turnip » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:32 pm

One in the far corner each side - you'll have to take the under-dash panels off.
Two each side of the fuse holder area - brackets are bolted to the side "wings" and the dash top studs stick down through them.
At least, that's how it is on mine.

Good luck.
Simon
1965 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#3 Re: Remind me please..dash top removal

Post by andrewh » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:03 am

thank you Simon. I cannot say I am looking forward to this. Has anyone got any good ideas for avoiding this happening again, namely the pipe being pushed off by the pressure. I mean, its pretty much impossible to reach the nozzle with the wiper rack in position, but I thought I would ask. This is the second E type I have had to carry out this because the pipes had fallen off the jets. I wonder whether anyone does a sort of spring clip for the task?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#4 Re: Remind me please..dash top removal

Post by johnetype » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:47 am

I suggest you use silicone rubber hose for connecting to the washer jets rather than the PVC original. It will push on more easily, be much more difficult to push off and is unaffected by age or temperature.

Whilst it doesn't look quite the same as the original in it's translucent version it's hard to see hidden away inside the bulkhead and if you must you can transition to the PVC hose for the part that's exposed connecting to the washer bottle.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#5 Re: Remind me please..dash top removal

Post by andrewh » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:52 am

thanks John, I shall certainly consider that on my next full restoration, however replacing the hose within the bulkhead is a job I am not going to attempt at the moment. I have now managed, or rather my wife has now managed, to replace the pipe on the underside of the nozzle. I suspect it was over enthusiastic use whilst hot that brought about the issue. I think I may resort to a squeeze bottle out of the window from now on! :bigrin:
thank you for the help chaps. By the way for anyone trying to do the same job, you have to release the dash top and lift it just enough to provide access to the aperture, then disconnect the ball socket to the wiper rack and lay it down on the bulkhead. Then you can move the wiper by hand. As a matter of course I always disconnect the battery when working in there and then reconnect the battery using a jump lead with a 10 or 15 A fuse in line to ensure there are no shorts before connecting up permanently. It can save a wiring loom!
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#6 Re: Remind me please..dash top removal

Post by Series1 Stu » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:29 pm

A small plastic cable tie pulled tight around the tube and spigot might help to keep them together, if you can gain sufficient access.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#7 Re: Remind me please..dash top removal

Post by andrewh » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:43 pm

Good idea! About 3 hours too late as its now all put back together. Never mind, I will be quicker at doing it next time. thx though
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic