New ashtray panel fitting problem.

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 New ashtray panel fitting problem.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 am

Hi All,
With my 3.8 away having engine & gearbox fitted, I’ve been working on the interior. Centre console and radio console re-trims to be precise. All was going swimmingly until I came to fit the ashtray panel. Both the radio console and the ashtray assembly are new from SNGB but the ashtray panel is too wide (between brackets) for the console. 10mm in fact. The panel itself is also not centred on the mounting bracket- about 4mm out. I’ve dropped an email to SNGB but was wondering if there had been similar issues encountered before?

Inside console width between mounting holes 240mm, width between mounting points on bracket 250mm.

Flush on one side, 4mm out on the other.

Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

edriver
Germany

#2 Re: New ashtray panel fitting problem.

Post by edriver » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi Richard,
the problem is the ashtray bracket. I just measured mine (old) and it is 240mm wide between the mounting flanges, both sides centred. The distance between flanges (240mm) is shorter than the width of the front panel by about 4mm (incl. vinyl). Otherwise you would see gaps.
I had my fun today with the chrome on the cantrails. The gap of the chromed profile had to be widened from 1.9mm to 2.8mm to fit over my vinyl covering. But it's done.
Best regards,
Klaus
Klaus
1963 FHC 889633, 1979 Porsche 928, 1991 Mazda MX-5

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: New ashtray panel fitting problem.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Great, thanks Klaus.
I’ve not started the cantrails yet. I need to build up my trimming skills (and courage) before I tackle them!
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#4 Re: New ashtray panel fitting problem.

Post by rswaffie » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:25 pm

An update on the ashtray holder part - I got an email this evening from SNGB:

We have frozen our stock on this part as it seems they have been made incorrectly. We will be reworking them as quickly as possible and then once they have been corrected we will send you a replacement.

Just in case anyone was considering ordering one.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic