VIN number

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Bernie2015
Great Britain

#1 VIN number

Post by Bernie2015 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:22 am

Hi All,

I have just purchased a Series 1 OTS from the USA. The VIN number on the vehicle data plate and the VIN number stamped on the engine frame next to the front right wheel dont match. Does anyone know if this will be a problem when applying for a V5?

Many thanks

Bernie
Bernie 1966 S1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: VIN number

Post by mgcjag » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:48 am

Hi Brenie...what about all the paperwork...whats on that.....what have you actually purchased the vin on the chassis or the one on the data plate...what about the other numbers on the data plate do they match the car....check out both Vins on http://www.xkedata.com What number will you register it with the dvla....if they ask for an inspection it will definatly cause problems......data plates and picture frames with the number on can be changed..Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bernie2015
Great Britain

#3 Re: VIN number

Post by Bernie2015 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi Steve,

thanks for your input. The paperwork from the US shows the VIN number as being what is on the data plate and I will endeavour to register it on that number but the number on the engine frame is not the same.

Do you think this may cause a problem getting a V5?
Bernie 1966 S1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bernie2015
Great Britain

#4 Re: VIN number

Post by Bernie2015 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:51 pm

PS Engine numbers do not match the plate but I guess its been replaced at some stage.

Could the differing VIN Nos mean that the engine frame has been replaced with one from another car which is why the numbers stamped on it are not the same as the data plate?
Bernie 1966 S1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: VIN number

Post by mgcjag » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi Bernie...you need to tread very carerfully....have you checked both vin numbers on xke data.....if either come up as belonging to another car or as stolen you have problems.....does the engine frame look original or like its been replaced....does the data plate look original..is there a heritage certificate with the car.....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bernie2015
Great Britain

#6 Re: VIN number

Post by Bernie2015 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:08 pm

The number on the data plate and on the paperwork with the car comes up as being correct for the vehicle on the XKE data website.
The number on the frame doesn't bring anything up at all so not sure where that number came from or why itis stamped into the frame. My obvious concerm is that the DVLA wont register the car without both numbers ie plate and engine frame being the same. Any thoughts on that much appreciated
Bernie 1966 S1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bernie2015
Great Britain

#7 Re: VIN number

Post by Bernie2015 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:11 pm

Sorry I didn't answer your questioms - there is no heritage certificate with the car, the engine frame and plate look to be about right in age for the car.
Bernie 1966 S1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#8 Re: VIN number

Post by malcolm » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Could it be the car had an accident, and a frame was replaced with one from a written off/scrapped car?
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#9 Re: VIN number

Post by mgcjag » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi Bernie...you will need a Heritage certificate to register......others have also had to send photos of the vin stamped on the chassis....either way you have a mis match....personaly i would not contact the dvla untill i have all the correct paperwork and numbers matching....you also need to account for the engine numbers not matching the data plate....the heritage certificate will give tbe details of what the numbers should be....have you checked your body number.......also identify what type of engine you actually have....ps there is info on the forum on how to check if a dataplate is an original or replica... Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bernie2015
Great Britain

#10 Re: VIN number

Post by Bernie2015 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks Steve have sent a PM to you.
Bernie 1966 S1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#11 Re: VIN number

Post by mgcjag » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi Bernie...i havent imported a car and registered it....there is lots of info on the forum about whats needed if you search....will be good to hear others opinions of the mismatch numbers and how best for you to proceed.. Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#12 Re: VIN number

Post by Robbiee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi Bernie
This is a little tricky so be careful
The plate can be changed at any time, by anyone.
The front frame can be swapped/stamped etc

However the Body Number (not the VIN) is very handy for confirming identity because OTS often written by hand on various components in the factory
It is 4 figures and mine was on the reverse side of the dashboard written upside down along with the body colour and interior trim colour just above the speedo as well as the other side above the glove compartment
Jag heritage certainly found it valuable when I contacted them
Also check for original paint etc under a grommet if it’s been changed

I suggest you make sure everything fits and matches before the DVLA is contacted

Happy hunting

Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#13 Re: VIN number

Post by tim wood » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:25 pm

i have found the body number on my US import in 2 places. Written by hand in a wax crayon on the front frame central on the frame . The stamped number on the frame tied in with the data plate and heritage certificate . I had to be careful here when cleaning off 50 years of grease!
Plus neatly written on a tag tied to the supporting bar for the screen just under the dash top.

I think as everyone has said caution is the word here.

Good luck
Tim
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#14 Re: VIN number

Post by Robbiee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Good advice everyone

Just to note : Jaguar heritage will not tell you an engine number unless you tell them first! If the engine number on your car is not the original then they will put it on the certificate but add “non original engine number supplied by present owner “ or words to that effect!
It , however , will not affect the identification of the chassis/body anyway...there are plenty of cars with replacement engines out there.

Interestingly...jag heritage were able to tell me my lost chassis number based on the body number I gave them!

Engine-wise..have a look for the block casting date on the side of the iron block ..gives you a clue as to its age for a start

find as many numbers as possible, get a certificate from jag heritage, this means you can get a new picture frame with the number corrected and only then consider the DVLA

BW Robbie

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bernie2015
Great Britain

#15 Re: VIN number

Post by Bernie2015 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks for the comments. Just to clarify - the car came with a USA title which matches the data plate, the engine block has been changed but is still correct for the period.
Bernie 1966 S1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#16 Re: VIN number

Post by Robbiee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:12 pm

That’s great BUT getting the frame stamped correctly by the frame supplier requires a copy of the heritage certificate as proof so this needs sorting before the DVLA getinvolved otherwise a different stamped VIN could cause problems
BW
Robbie

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bernie2015
Great Britain

#17 Re: VIN number

Post by Bernie2015 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks Robbie - it does seem a bit ridiculous on a 52 year old car that could have had the engine and frame changed at any point in that time with one from a written off vehicle. I presume they dont want me to try and locate the original engine somewhere in th US as well?
Bernie 1966 S1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#18 Re: VIN number

Post by Herzeg » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:36 pm

Isn't there also a body number behind the rear number plate?

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#19 Re: VIN number

Post by angelw » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:04 pm

Steve Wrote:
will be good to hear others opinions of the mismatch numbers and how best for you to proceed.. Steve
Hello Steve,
As BW Robbie points out, if the incorrect numbers are submitted for a Heritage Certificate, the correct numbers are not supplied, and the Certificate marked accordingly. If the numbers are unknown, but you can supply a Title or some proof of previous registration, the correct numbers will be supplied and the Certificate marked that the numbers were not supplied (words to that effect).

Cars in Australia do not have Title documents, but cars in the US do. Accordingly, if the car is imported from the US, the original Title should be supplied and can be used to get a Heritage Certificate with all the correct numbers, albeit marked that the numbers were not supplied by the applicant (if they were not supplied).

If I were Bernie, I would proceed by making an application for a Heritage Certificate and not muddy the water by stating that the numbers don't match, but simply omit the questionable numbers and supply a copy of the car's original Title. This way he should get a Certificate with all the correct numbers.

John Wrote:
Yes, on an aluminum tag pop riveted to the rear beaver panel. Often this is missing if the car has been restored, or had repairs carried out to the rear end.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Duckham
Great Britain

#20 Re: VIN number

Post by Duckham » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:04 am

angelw wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:04 pm
John Wrote:
Yes, on an aluminum tag pop riveted to the rear beaver panel. Often this is missing if the car has been restored, or had repairs carried out to the rear end.
Was there a changeover point for the location?
I have seen that tag behind the number plate and inside the boot / trunk on the vertical left-hand panel (is that the beaver panel??).

Joe
1963 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic