Refurbishing door handles/locks

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Robbiee

#21 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Robbiee » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks Tony
I’ll prob have the springs done in a couple of weeks so I’ll let you know
Are you saying it’s possible to swap the barrel LTA Bemba and springs to fit different keys??
If so how do you get the tabs free? Is there some special method/tool?
I have visions of searching my garage floor for springs that have pinged off!!
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tonyabacus
Great Britain

#22 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by tonyabacus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:01 pm

Robbie

Inside the lock are the tumblers that are set to give you the code for your key, it is possible to change the tumblers to another sequence, but then you have to find the key that fits that code.

To do this you need to put the key into the barrel first which will stop the tumblers from falling or springing out. once the barrel is out if you very gently start to withdraw the key the tumblers will be forced up or down(they come out from alternate sides)by the tiny springs underneath each tumbler. As you draw the key out therefore, hold your fingers over the tumbler which will enable you to control how quickly the tumbler is exposed and therefore stop the springs from shooting everywhere. Lay each tumbler down in sequence so they don't get mixed up. You will then be able to clean each component and examine for wear.

You can then reassemble and use the key to prevent those in place from springing out, finally lightly oil the assembly. I cannot remember now as it was a long time ago, but I seem to remember the tumblers were marked in some way. These tumblers are no longer available as far as I know, so the only way over overcoming wear is to buy a NOS lock that uses the same key code, i.e FS/FR/MRN etc and replacing your worn tumblers, however that will mean you need to then find an appropriate key. But as each series of keys was not particularly large, it is possible. You may have seen such boards of the old keys at autojumbles and that is the best way of trying keys till you find the correct one for your newly rebuilt lock.

So the short answer is that it is possible to strip and rebuild the lock without any difficulty if you need to.
Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#23 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Gfhug » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:53 am

As for keying alike, the barrels can be removed from door locks and with a bit of swapping around of leaves with spares from other locks of the same type you can make up new barrels with the same key. Not difficult, but an easier solution could be to drop by an old locksmith and let him do the work for a few pounds/dollars.
There are several posts on here of people doing this work.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15008#p122484

I made the above comment to the post in that thread. You can refurbish old locks using leaves from other locks. It isn't difficult and doesn't need you to find NOS locks of the same key number.
And before anyone contradicts me :banghead: I know it can be done this way as I’ve done it to my car and a good friend on the forum had a locksmith do it for him.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Robbiee

#24 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Robbiee » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:56 am

Thank you
That’s v helpful
I have some differing old locks barrels and 3 original keys for the ignition lock which are correct for the car
I should hopefully have enough tumblers to alter/swap around to fit this key to the door locks so they match
I might try and find a good locksmith(I guess an old guy would be best or can a modern locksmith manage??)
Robbie

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#25 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Gfhug » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:34 am

Robbie, it very much depends on how hands on your locksmith is, whether oldtimer or youngtimer. It is easy to lose the tiny springs in removing the leaves and using good leaves/springs will make for a better refurbished lock. I should see what they say and if they start suggesting it'll be expensive then find someone else, or a friend who is able to do this sort of work if you're not confident.

Good luck

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tonyabacus
Great Britain

#26 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by tonyabacus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:52 pm

Robbie
This job is not very difficult at all and probably well within your own expertise. The only thing you need to do is be careful as you remove the tumblers. By using the method I described earlier you can withdraw each of the tumblers one by one and therefore control the little springs. If you are still concerned use one of those clear plastic bags your wife uses in the kitchen and by putting your hands and the barrel inside, you can draw the key out of the barrel one tumbler at a time and if the springs do let go then you will catch them in the bag.
Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tonyabacus
Great Britain

#27 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by tonyabacus » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Robbie
Just spotted this on eBay, although this is a barrel for the ignition, you might use the contact facility to check if they do the door barrels, this item is new and at the price makes it logical to buy rather than refurb.
Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Robbiee

#28 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Robbiee » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:20 pm

hi
Got the springs made and they work perfectly
If anyone wants one then let me know

robbie

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

TheMadBadger
United States of America

#29 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by TheMadBadger » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:35 am

Hello,
I stumbled across your question whilst looking into trunk lock information about my car, which is a ‘68 OTS. The right and left door lock keys are different from one another and are sequential in the lock codes. I have the two original keys for the door locks.

Nice to see my car is not alone in this.

Regards,
Mark

Robbiee wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:56 pm
Hi
I’d like to refurbish my door handles (March 1962 OTS RHD)
Yeah ...I know you can buy new but they are original with keys. They have that “to lock” with an arrow on them that the replacement parts don’t have.

Questions..1. Has anyone got any advice or knowledge please?

2. I have 3 ignition keys which are the same serial number FP*** The door handle locks each have a key that turns the barrel FS~~~ and FS^^^ (different each side).
Is it normal to have different keys for each side that also differ from the ignition key?

Thanks in anticipation of a deluge of knowledge!

Robbie
Mark Badger
1968 Series 2 E-type convertible
1971 Series 2 E-type coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#30 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Philk » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:34 am

Normally, the door keys would be the same on each side. For a fee, you can contact Jaguar Heritage and ask for a photocopy of the build ledger (which shows the key numbers the car left the factory with). They are likely to ask you to verify your ownership of the car as well as asking you for the key numbers you have. They will redact that part of the ledger if the key numbers do not match what you supplied them with.

I did the above and now have a copy of the ledger to go alongside the "standard" JDHT heritage certificate. It is nice having something that validates that my car still has the original locks fitted to it.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

skiracer
United States of America

#31 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by skiracer » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:47 pm

Question....what are the flat spring and ?circlip-like parts in your photo at the far left and right of the photo?
I don’t seem to have these

The flat washers with the two internal "ears" separate the two springs so they don't get intertwined. As I understand it they are no longer available, but I suspect they could be fairly easily reproduced.
Doug
1968 Series 1.5 E-Type OTS (Early production)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemikon
United States of America

#32 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Nemikon » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:26 pm

From my perspective, there is no need to refurbish your door. You can easily replace the locks on your door. Just hire a locksmith that will help you with that. Personally, I had a similar problem with my car. Luckily, a friend of mine working as a locksmith helped me solve this problem. So I will recommend you to check out your Local Mobile Locksmith service. I am sure you will find one that will help you with your problem. Hope you will be able to solve your problem. Wish you the best of luck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#33 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by caveman » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:18 pm

Philk wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:34 am
For a fee, you can contact Jaguar Heritage and ask for a photocopy of the build ledger (which shows the key numbers the car left the factory with).
As of Jan 2023, this service is now £80 + £16 taxes total £96. Previous owner names are not provided (since 2018).

Whilst trying to find a procedure for dismantling the door lock components, I came across the following document if you are tackling the ignition switch barrels:

https://www.jrcengineering.com/wp-conte ... cement.pdf

Last edited by caveman on Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paydase
Belgium

#34 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by paydase » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:20 pm

Philk wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:34 am
Normally, the door keys would be the same on each side. For a fee, you can contact Jaguar Heritage and ask for a photocopy of the build ledger (which shows the key numbers the car left the factory with). They are likely to ask you to verify your ownership of the car as well as asking you for the key numbers you have. They will redact that part of the ledger if the key numbers do not match what you supplied them with.

I did the above and now have a copy of the ledger to go alongside the "standard" JDHT heritage certificate. It is nice having something that validates that my car still has the original locks fitted to it.
Hi Phil,
If you don't mind, could you please post a photo of the copy of the ledger that JDHT supplied you with (possibly redacting your key numbers) to see what kind of information they supply?
I would be interested to know what kind of info they deliver concerning the cars close to the one we own.
Serge
1964 (3.8) FHC
1961 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#35 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Philk » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:49 pm

Fortunately, mine was at the top of the page so you can see the headings where information can be added under. Whilst I've blanked out my car's information, please note that some of these fields may be blank anyway given there is a dependency on information being passed back to Jaguar from the supplying dealer whom, in the case of LHD cars, would all be abroad. As such, information would be added to the build ledger in different handwriting/pen colours.

Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paydase
Belgium

#36 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by paydase » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:56 am

Thank you Phil.
So apparently they blank everything apart what concerns your own car, no possibility to see infos on the cars just before and just after.
Not surprising though...
Serge
1964 (3.8) FHC
1961 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jeffpcrooke
Great Britain

#37 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by jeffpcrooke » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:33 am

Hi
Referring to a past post by Robbie: Did you ever get any lock barrel key return springs made or can you advise where I might get a couple please?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Robbiee

#38 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Robbiee » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:39 am

I have a few made up if you want a couple
DM me
Robbie