Header Tank overflow

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
dale bowman
Great Britain

#1 Header Tank overflow

Post by dale bowman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:13 am

So .... Sunday gone was my first real drive out in the car. I didn't go too far (only about 20 miles or so) but when I returned home I found that water was coming from the overflow pipe. Whilst driving the temp was around the 75-80 mark (it was quite a cool day) but when I returned home and idled ready to reverse into the garage water came out of the header tank. The fan was working ok and the temps rose slightly. I also noticed that when I turned the engine off I could hear the water draining around the system.
Any ideas what could cause this (there is a 7 bar cap fitted)

Cheers D
1964 series 1 3.8 fhc

There are three types of people in this world.
Those who can count and those who can't.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#2 Re: Header Tank overflow

Post by chrisfell » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:46 am

If I top the header tank up to the base of the cap, radiator fluid will come out. I only worry if the water level drops to more than 2" below the pressure cap. I check the water level before each journey (as well as tyre pressures, brakes, oil level, lights and horn. But then, I'm also a biker and not paying attention to such things on a motorcycle can result in a 'sky-tarmac-sky-tarmac-hospital' moment.)

The sound you heard when the engine stopped is oil returning to the sump, not water. It is normal.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Rteyp
Great Britain

#3 Re: Header Tank overflow

Post by Rteyp » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi

Useful post and reply thank you.

I am also a new owner and have exactly the same symptoms - I thought it was water too. Good to know its all quite normal.

John
John
1965 E-Type Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic