Relative newcomer, first driving impressions.

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
H7OB
Great Britain

#1 Relative newcomer, first driving impressions.

Post by H7OB » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Well, despite owning my car for just over a year Ive only recently had some real time driving it. Ive been in the process of a retrim and an engine rebuild so now the engines' back in Im trying to get as many running-in miles on it as I can before winter sets in. At the risk of stating the obvious to some seasoned, long time E-type types I thought Id jot down a few first impressions. Ive previously owned a mix of cars and bikes, old and new, and do enjoy the different driving characters of different cars so thought Id put down the first impressions..

Engine - still running in so keeping below 3000 rpm ish. Whats immediately obvious is both the lovely smooth nature of that leggy, torquey power. Its so tractable from tickover to where Im trying to not rev it past! You can feel it starting to get a sniff of the cams at the upper end but Ill just have to wait a bit longer for that! I remember before the rebuild how strongly it continued to pull, accompanied by that addictive bark, but the beauty is that it doesnt need to be revved to make progress. It does have such a great soundtrack, which is a big part of the fun for me!

Gearbox - nice positive change, long ratios, feels like a 'proper' gearbox. It does feel like it would benefit from a 5th gear or OD on the motorway but that probably isnt helped by the fact that theres no interior in it, with the exception of a drivers seat and carpet, gentleman's NASCAR style!

Handling - initially feels softish with a certain amount of body roll but once you get used to that its got a really nice fluidity. Through some nice country lanes near me its actually very impressive, particularly considering its age. Its on Michelin XVS, 32 psi all round and really predictable. It has a really comfortable, yet communicative ride and really does feel like you could cover some distance in it, as well has have some fun. Id imagine the FHC, shorter wheelbase to be fun. One day maybe, but not while the kids are young!

Brakes - has had the Coopercraft upgrade so powerful enough for modern driving.

Steering - communicative in that pre-PAS way and loads better since I changed the column bushes!

Jobs to do - interior to put back in which will obviously help the current, slightly noisy character! The throttle action is a bit on the sticky side so doesnt help smooth getaways! It seems to be carburating pretty well but Id like to get it on a rolling road once Ive got a few miles under the belt first. Its idling a little high today as its loosening up but all part of the job list!

So, obviously Im loving it, but knew I would. I had a great little Elan +2 before this but do prefer the torque and 6 cylinder soundtrack. As I say, Im sure its preaching to the converted but its all good, Im more than happy! Cheers!
:bigrin:
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#2 Re: Relative newcomer, first driving impressions.

Post by chrisfell » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:28 am

Yup, that’s what driving a 2+2 is like.

Once you’ve run the engine in you’ll find you won’t want or ever need to rev it over 3,000 rpm.

The best bit is not the way the car drives or its torque or the visceral level of feedback through the controls, which is quite unlike the electronically managed, computer controlled, fly by long distance wire of a modern car.

The best bit isn’t the satisfaction of driving the ultimate in a recycled repurposed rescued example of a disposable consumer product.

The best bit isn’t the realisation that if held for long enough, ownership and running the car could Result in free motoring, including all running costs.

No, the best bit is seeing the reaction of other knowledgeable road users, who suddenly realise you are driving an Icon of British Motoring History. You will put smiles on other peoples’ faces. You will raise their spirits, you will make their day. That’s the best bit. That’s why I’ve driven my 2+2 over 60,000 miles in the last 15 years.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#3 Re: Relative newcomer, first driving impressions.

Post by Heuer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:36 am

:yeahthat: :swerve:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: Relative newcomer, first driving impressions.

Post by cactusman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:07 am

Refuelling (which happens quite often i find) usually attracts attention too :bigrin: :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#5 Re: Relative newcomer, first driving impressions.

Post by chrisfell » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:35 pm

:yeahthat: Almost everytime. Other drivers and staff.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#6 Re: Relative newcomer, first driving impressions.

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Nice post, some good insights.

Don't baby it too much, especially if you've got chrome top rings. Some short blasts up to 4-4.5, as you go up through first and second, will stop it becoming an oil drinker. The issue is not to overload it, not revs per se.

A tension spring at a couple of points of the linkage helps consistent return. With regular lube and correct adjustment it may settle down.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
H7OB
Great Britain

#7 Re: Relative newcomer, first driving impressions.

Post by H7OB » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks chaps, agreed on all points. I do know what you mean on the positive reaction front. The first time I drove it to the local petrol station I’d had compliments from 3 or 4 other customers plus one moved his away from the pump to make room for me! It felt like being mistaken for a celebrity!

Peter, I value your opinion, particularly when it includes such good advice which I’ll be happy to follow! Agreed it shouldn’t be nursed. I’m just really enjoying driving it! The beauty of running in such an engine is that you’re never really short of performance! Happy days!
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Brucey
Great Britain

#8 Re: Relative newcomer, first driving impressions.

Post by Brucey » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:22 pm

I am lucky to have owned (and always enjoyed!) quite a few S1s over the years - including 10 years of racing a 3.8 fhc. I bought my first one well over 40 years ago and was never without one until 3 years ago when I thought I could move on. I was wrong! Thus 18 months ago I purchased another one albeit as the values had moved so quickly I could only afford a 2 + 2. The first 2 + 2 I had ever owned.

I have to say that despite my initial concerns about "driving a greenhouse" I have been mightily impressed.

Performance variations to a swb are academic, the handling is very similar and I can actually get in and out of the car easier! Others have commented that visibility is also better.
The general populous has no knowledge of 'E' Type variants, to them an 'E' is an 'E' :P

So well chosen and good luck!

[One suggestion, 28psi front, 32psi rears - Lofty England told me many years ago to run 4psi more in the rears]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic