Wire Wheels Interchange

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
64OTS
Australia

#1 Wire Wheels Interchange

Post by 64OTS » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:33 am

I have been offered a good set of wire wheels from a Series 2. Will they fit my Series 1 as they have different part numbers? thanks
Tim 1964 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Wire Wheels Interchange

Post by abowie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:27 am

Yes but they will not be curly hub.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dougal
Great Britain

#3 Re: Wire Wheels Interchange

Post by dougal » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:10 pm

I have got to say i am very skeptical of second hand wire wheels.

The question is - "why are they being taken off"

the main reason to take your wheels off is because you have loose spokes. remember if you have one loose spoke that wheel is goosed and needs a full re spoke. and if there is one failed wheel the chances are they are all the same age and the whole set is probably on the way out. So if that is the reason you don't want them.

Don't be the numpty on the side of the road with failed wheel because you saved a few quid. there are some really good value wire wheels available.

these aren't what you would call cheep wheels. but they are the best https://www.borrani.com/jaguar-wheels/e-type.html

the other answer will be to fit tubeless wire wheels - to which the answer is there is absolutely no need to fit wire tubeless wheels on an e-type, because there is no tyre that suits an e type that cannot fit an inner tube. + sometimes tubeless systems failing like we have in this film here
I have seen too many failed tubeless wire wheels to be able to recommend them. and there is no benefit to them.
Chain Gang for ever

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#4 Re: Wire Wheels Interchange

Post by Mark Gordon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:49 pm

" I have seen too many failed tubeless wire wheels to be able to recommend them. and there is no benefit to them."
Other than, at least here in the States, finding a shop that still knows how to properly installed a tubed tire and if you get a tread puncture on a tubeless tire, any shop can fix it good as new with a plug and for a fraction of the cost of installing a new tube and then rebalancing the mounted tire.

Flame retardant suit fully zipped up.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dougal
Great Britain

#5 Re: Wire Wheels Interchange

Post by dougal » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:15 pm

It's not right though. have you seen how they are sealed.

you might be able to get the tyre plugged. but every time that tyre comes on and off the more likelihood there is of that black gunk being pulled out of the spoke holes.

I supplied a set of tyres that we posted to famous E type owner who had them fitted and went back to the car later to flat tyres. I shipped a set to a DB5 owner who had them fitted and 3 of go down in pressure, having had a blow out on the road of one tyre because it was too low pressure, got hot and failed. I have had a new Morgan that had had a tyre plugged, then while fitting the tyre the tyre fitter scraped the black sealant with his tyre leaver so it almost immediately went flat again.

I don't disagree that on a modern wheel rim a modern low profile tyre works better on a modern car. However when driving on old technology use the technology that suits it. So if you have pressed steel wheels or Minilites or the WolfRace wheels my Auntie had on here e-type. then yep. if you have a tubeless tyre then run tubeless. but if you have wire wheels, then you don't want anything lower than 70% profile for 2 reasons
1/ it won't drive as nicely
2/ you should not run tyres of less than 70% profile with an inner tube and you should fit an inner tube in a wire wheel
Chain Gang for ever

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dougal
Great Britain

#6 Re: Wire Wheels Interchange

Post by dougal » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:15 pm

Oh yeah.

i also recommend Michelin tubes
Chain Gang for ever

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#7 Re: Wire Wheels Interchange

Post by Mark Gordon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:37 pm

I know that you're adamant about using tubed tires with tubes for wire wheels, Dougal, but I've had Dayton wireless wheels, tubeless tires and no tubes on my E for 3-4 years and I've never had any more leaking problems with them than I do with my modern cars, i.e., no leaks. I've driven the car aggressively on twisty roads and run JCNA slaloms with them without leaks or the tires popping off of the beads. I know that some have had problems with wire wheel/tubeless tire combinations, but I know of several of us that have had no problems what so ever. I personally would never go back to tubes.

I wonder if some of the anecdotal problems that you cite might be due to putting tubeless tire without tubes on wheels that weren't designed for tubeless use?
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jag68
Canada

#8 Re: Wire Wheels Interchange

Post by jag68 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:41 am

Me too! I ran Dayton 15 X 7" wires with tubeless tires (Hoosier) on my vintage race car for years. Many off track excursions over curbs, through gravel, often at very high speeds. Never bent a wheel or a rim, never a tire problem, or flat. Now run 16 X 7" steel and 17 X 7" alum Dayton's with tubeless tires (Ultra high performance Summer Tires - Dunlop, and Bridgestone) and autocross with those. Utterly no issues. I've had other Daytons for 20 plus years, all tubeless. They just go and go.
1967 E Type coupe
1968 E Type OTS
2007 XKR

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Davidsmith
South Africa

#9 Re: Wire Wheels Interchange

Post by Davidsmith » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:47 pm

fitting new tyres to my '69 series 2 this weekend ( 185/80/15R) on wire wheels and putting tubes in. However I cannot get linings locally ( South Africa). Is there an alternative/DIY solution?

thx

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#10 Re: Wire Wheels Interchange

Post by Heuer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:29 pm

Ray Livingston used a method using plastic insulating tape and silicone adhesive. Basically smear the wheel with silicone (optional) and the wrap with insulating tape. Seems to work. Check J-L for more information.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic