Face Panel

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
dale bowman
Great Britain

#1 Face Panel

Post by dale bowman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:26 pm

Gents …

1. there maybe an obvious answer to this, but how do I remove the face panel to get at my fuse box. I've unscrewed the two retaining screws but didn't want to force the panel by pulling too hard as I'm new to E type and unsure if there's anything else need doing first.
2. I've noticed on tick over the lights are quite dim and then brighten under throttle. Is this normal for a dynamo system or does something need looking at?

Also any guidance on which good workshop manuals to buy would be appreciated

Cheers Dale
Last edited by dale bowman on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 series 1 3.8 fhc

There are three types of people in this world.
Those who can count and those who can't.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stuart Exelby
Great Britain

#2 Re: Face Panel

Post by Stuart Exelby » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Dale - if you have removed the two thumbscrews from the instrument panel in the dash, you are almost certainly going to need to remove the screws which hold the "legend strip" - the plastic trim which tells you which switch does what - before trying to rotate the instrument panel forwards and down. If you don't the strip will foul the centre console and probably snap. The screws are accessed from "below" and there will be the plastic strip, a metal section and likely the thin film of green plastic.

Removal allows you to swing the instrument panel downwards.

I'll let others who are more knowledgeable than I explain what is going on with the dynamo and lights..... and the handbook.
1967 Series 1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gerry
Canada

#3 Re: Face Panel

Post by Gerry » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi Dale,yes the lights will dim at idle,more so if you have a weak battery,on my 3.8 I found that the dynamo would keep the battery charged ok as long as I did not get stuck in a traffic jam on a hot day with the lights on,my aftermarket radiator fan would slow down noticeably the longer I was stuck.I changed over to an alternator about 15yrs ago as per Ray Livingstones Hitachi conversion,never looked back,car runs much cooler in heavy traffic and no dead battery anxiety. ymmv.

Regards Gerry 62 Ots.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic