Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
paujo123
Great Britain

#1 Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by paujo123 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:54 pm

I know this is a difficult question to answer, but I really would like to buy a S1 E-Type 4.2 LHD Roadster 1967.
The car I have seen needs a total restoration but the body looks ok but still needs alot of work, plus there are parts missing. Would anybody be able to give a ball park figure of how much this would cost to buy?

I know that its difficult to judge.

K r

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paujo123
Great Britain

#2 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by paujo123 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:56 pm

I should have also send 6 cylinders.

Thanks

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vikla
Great Britain

#3 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by vikla » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:14 pm

According to Practical Classics price guide of August 2018 this sounds like a Condition 3 car which is defined as 'cars usually need a complete rebuild, but might be driveable and MoT’d– candidates for restorations.

For a 4.2 OTS this says £60k is the average for cars sold in the UK. However I imagine it would be lower for a LHD car and with parts missing.
Also it would be lower again for a car being imported from the USA.

Steve
S1 4.2 FHC 1966

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by mgcjag » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi Paul....just link us to the car...or photos.....you will then get a much better assesment of value....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robsan
Great Britain

#5 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by Robsan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:14 pm

"Also it would be lower again for a car being imported from the USA."

What is the thinking behind this statement, were the USA spec cars significantly differant enough to lower their prices ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vikla
Great Britain

#6 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by vikla » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:24 pm

"Also it would be lower again for a car being imported from the USA."

Because of the import costs....
Steve
S1 4.2 FHC 1966

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#7 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by cactusman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:24 pm

Certainly S2 US specification cars have federal emission equipment and Stromberg carburetors so tend to be less valuable than their UK spec equivalent. Not sure if a 1967 series one would be federalised or be a triple SU car though. David will know... :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#8 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by Philk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:23 pm

As a representative example, the following car is for sale at the Beverly Hills Car Club.

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/196 ... c-9106.htm

It fits the bill as a 1967 4.2 OTS. It is heavily corroded underneath and would definitely need considerable work doing on it. It is $72,500.

I also note it has treble carbs which answers one of the points above.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gerry
Canada

#9 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by Gerry » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:15 am

Hi Paul,if you want to get a good idea of what cars are actually selling for in America,Bring a Trailer is very good.A lot of detailed photos plus sometimes a video.
Best of luck.
Regards Gerry 62 Ots,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paujo123
Great Britain

#10 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by paujo123 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:54 am

Thank you to everyone that replied. Really very helpful.

I think what you have said makes a lot of sense and my soul is now more prepared to part with the right amount if money!

I will try and get some photos and send to you.

Take care

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paujo123
Great Britain

#11 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by paujo123 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 am

sorry, of money

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Wilder
Great Britain

#12 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by Wilder » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:52 pm

As an importation and sourcing agent I can offer advice on how to pay the minimum of costs to import a classic car.
First off, the earlier cars (S1) I think were the same EU/UK or USA with the diff ratios and speedo mph/kph being the main difference.
Now as to importation you pay 5% historic car tax and no VAT as the car is over 30 years old, and as a private individual , your shiping agent will submit the relevent paperwork for you (NOVA) so that when your car arrives, they will pay your import duty on your behalf, or provide details for you to do so through HMRC.
You need to get all documents including title from the shipping company to your agent, and you must specify before sailing agent details, if you want to use your prefered agent in the UK.
If you do not, then whoever the shipping line has a contract with will automatically take custody of your car, and handle charges payments through their disbursement account and bill you 2.5% to do so ( this is normal).
I would always find a UK agent for the port you want to use, and check their charges against the competition.
The difference can be hundreds of pounds so never allow the shipping company to "appoint" their agent for you, which they wiull unless you nominate your own..
Again, charges can vary so check around
I use John Goode shipping at Felixtowe, and these guys are slick, professional and do not charge like a wounded rhino...
Now a couple of important points:
Never ever arrange a UK company to to ship the car
You will on average pay double the cost of engaging a USA shipping company to handle your car.
When i brought my last E type in from the US, a certain UK company was asking for £2800 to ship it (ex ins), and I ended up booking with a US company which cost me $1600, and it would have been $1300 had they not screwed up the booking requiring me to go with a last minute replacement ....
John Good were actually about the same as the USA company I went with as it turned out, so I would definately speak to them ( James Smith).
It is a simple process to E mail shipping companies in the location near to your car, and if you buy from a reputable car dealership, they will likely help you to find a company for this and a transport company to get it there.
Secondly, insurance is normally 1-2.5% of the value of your car.
Ensure photos are taken by the seller when it gets loaded onto the truck ,and ask the shipping company to tkae many photos and E mail them so you can provide the insurance company covering the shipping process with detailed photos of the car, along with a condition report ( whhich is standard but ask them to confirm both will be E mailed to you before the ship sails).. The insurance company may need these if you subsequesntly lodge a claim.
A condition report is also standard when the car is unloaded, but again, make sure you get in writing that they will do this, and supply you with photos... It is no use claiming damage once it has left their care. and property.
Again, do NOT use the marine insurance offered by the shipping company... I shipped a car from New york that would have cost nearly $5k in insurance...I went to Hagertys classic car insurance ( parent company is in the USA) in the UK and they charged me £320 for a vehicle valued at $220k for shipping ins...I shipped 5 cars using them now, and they have always provided excellent customer service.
One last point, the selling dealer will usually have a tow truck company they use regularly who can transport it to the shipping companies warehouse at the docks...Ask the selling dealer to wrap and strap the bonnet and trunk ( shrink wrap), as this stops anyone opening the bonnet and helping themselves to your lovely triple SUs opr taking your tools and jack.....You can go with a shared container ( 6 cars and yours is stacked in a 40ft container), or you can take a single 20ft container.
Again, shop around and compare costs/services ..Most shipping companies use Maersk, MSC and these are the worlds largest shipping companies , though you cannot book with them direct.
You can specify Liverpool if you live in the North of England but they do not receive shared occupancy containers, or if sharing or nearer, you can specify using London port,. Felixtowe or Southampton. Felixtowe is by far the busiest UK container port, so odds on you will get a better deal, and more options choosing to devan there.
Hope this helps for anyone thinking of buying from the USA or anywhere else overseas.
Jonathan K
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paujo123
Great Britain

#13 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by paujo123 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:25 am

OMG, Thank you all for help and support. Very kind of you.

I have found some pictures of the 2 cars I'm interested in, please see the links below.

Car 1
https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic ... ollection/

Car 2
https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic ... ollection/

How much do you think these cars are worth?

Thank you

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paujo123
Great Britain

#14 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by paujo123 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:27 am

This is in a UK car auction house.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#15 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by Philk » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 pm

paujo123 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:25 am

How much do you think these cars are worth?

Thank you

Paul
Being a S1 4.2, the first car will be worth more after restoration than the second car. However, the restoration job will be very painful given it is part stripped down (with the engine innards exposed to the elements). A key challenge in a situation such as this is the question of what parts will be missing once everything is itemised. That is therefore a separate task over and above a standard restoration.

The second car looks more straightforward but, like the first car, until you get under the car the degree of bodywork repair required will not be apparent.

Neither description on the auction website highlights if the cars are "matching numbers". Whilst a car may have a heritage certificate it may simply state that the numbers are not as supplied. This could make a considerable difference to the end value of the car and, therefore, what should be paid for them in th first place. If I was considering bidding on these, I would try and establish the details on this with the auction house.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paujo123
Great Britain

#16 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by paujo123 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Hi Phil

Very helpful tips.

Many thanks

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#17 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Note the first car was dispatched to Peter Lindner (Lindner Nocker).....so could be very desirable and hence fetch a higher price...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paujo123
Great Britain

#18 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by paujo123 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Hi Phil

Can I assume that what you mean by "matching numbers" is that the engine and chassis numbers agree
with plate on the car i.e. Are they the original engine and chassis?

Am I correct.

K r

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#19 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi Paul....Numbers actually stamped on the engine, gearbox and chassis match the Heritage Certificate.....and match the data plate...also the body number but much harder to find it on the car...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paujo123
Great Britain

#20 Re: Value S1 Jag e-type 4.2 LHD Roadster

Post by paujo123 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm