Cold start issue

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Lodgebaker
Great Britain

#1 Cold start issue

Post by Lodgebaker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:27 am

Hello Paul here. Relatively new owner of reconditioned S1 4.2. My issue is starting after 4/5 weeks. I don’t think choke is engaging properly as I try and try and she eventually fires up after numerous turns. It has electric start.

My question is where on the carbs is the interconnection such that perhaps I can manually pull it fully out? I am not sufficiently able to get under dash and things like that but I could lever it open or check if it is working?

I think I need to get it to the garage but is there something I can do simply first.

Runs fine once started. No such trouble in summer.

Hope you can help - thanks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Cold start issue

Post by mgcjag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:27 am

Hi....full details and diagrams in the Carb section of the service manual.....look at your carbs there are rods connecting all 3...the top ones are for the throttle..underneath is anorter set connectin all 3 and operate the choke lever....you should see the operating cable comming through the bulkhead inline with the rods and connecting to them..Steve
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Lodgebaker
Great Britain

#3 Re: Cold start issue

Post by Lodgebaker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:30 am

Thanks Steve.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#4 Re: Cold start issue

Post by chrisfell » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Mine cranks over for several seconds if I’ve left it for a few weeks. If I start it within a week, it fires up almost straight away. Nothing wrong with the choke on my car, it gives a very rich mixture and needs backing off almost immediately. But it doesn’t like being woken from a deep sleep.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic