Windscreen shape and width OTS

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
66an
Sweden

#1 Windscreen shape and width OTS

Post by 66an » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:05 pm

I have besides my old scratched windscreen a new one. Well it is not a new windscreen, but it is never used and it is bought by the previous owner probably in the 90´s.
My problem is that my two windscreens are not identical.
The new one is 8mm wider from the left to the right between the lower "edges", and the lower shape towards the scuttle panel is not identical.
The scuttle panel is exchanged by previuos owner so right now I am a little lost what is correct. And I am not sure if the old windscreen is the original one either.
But can this width/shape difference maybe be caused by the wood forms for the glass that have changed shape over the years? I found this thread below regarding windscreen shapes. Applies both FHC and DHC? http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... Pilkington

This is the windscreen marking:

I am measuring 1289mm on the widest outer edge from left to right:

My old windscreen is 1281mm. That is 8mm difference, to much to ignore.

What is the correct dimension? If I order a new one today, what is the width then?

Thanks!
Mats
1966 S1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Duckham
Great Britain

#2 Re: Windscreen shape and width OTS

Post by Duckham » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:21 pm

I can't tell you the dimension but 15y ago had a windscreen fitted to my 1963 OTS by Robey's.
Their technique was to get all the screens out of the store room and select the one that fitted best !

Before you look at buying another, have you tried fitting the newer one? If panels have been changed you may be lucky and find it fits better than the old :fingerscrossed:
Joe
1963 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
66an
Sweden

#3 Re: Windscreen shape and width OTS

Post by 66an » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:29 pm

Before you look at buying another, have you tried fitting the newer one?
I have tried both but no one of them have an acceptable fit, but the old one fits slightly better.
I need to do adjustments in the car but I need to know what is correct. It is still no paint on the car so its doable: :smile:
Mats
1966 S1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sarthe72
Great Britain

#4 Re: Windscreen shape and width OTS

Post by Sarthe72 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:37 am

Yup, had the same problem myself a few years back. I was advised by CKL that they had found that the new Pilkington screens wouldn't fit but that the ones from CMC did. So, I ordered one from CMC and found that it wouldn't fit - but a Pilkington one did! Now I hope I haven't got that the wrong way round because it was five years ago, but whatever, Lee Ridley of Castle Classics will be able to tell you what's what and may still have the other screen kicking around. Hope this helps. You can get him on 07738862969

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andrewh
Great Britain

#5 Re: Windscreen shape and width OTS

Post by andrewh » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:32 pm

there is a long and detailed thread about the Pilkington windscreens and a visit from two members on this site to the factory to look at the patterns. Now I think I am correct in saying that it was predominately about the FHC screens and the fact that the patterns had been damaged over time and the shape was wrong. The patterns were corrected utilising an original factory fit screen as a pattern. Whether the same applied to the OTC screens I am afraid i cannot say for sure. I have fitted two screens to Roadsters and found that in one case the pillars had been knocked somewhere in the process of the body being rebuilt ( by professionals ) . I therefore found it necessary to re set the pillars with a large rubber mallet. You will need to have the doors on the door frames in and the hood able to be fixed to the top of the pillars to ensure it is all correct before altering anything. If the original screen fitted perfectly before and the pillars have not been damaged then I suggest that your new Pilkington screen will be spot on as long as they have not changed the patterns since your screen was manufactured on the OTC as they have on the FHC due to pattern damage/inaaccuracies. pm me if you wish further information.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
66an
Sweden

#6 Re: Windscreen shape and width OTS

Post by 66an » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:16 pm

Yes, the thread mentioned was mainly about FHC windscreens. But I have now contacted Nick Gardiner at Pilkington and he confirms that 1281mm is the nominal width. They have now a width tolerance of +-3mm on new manufactured windscreens to my car.
And my old windscreen is probably the original one, I have found the marking on it, it is almost invisible (sun bleached??), it is up in the middle of the screen, forward of the rear mirror.
I can now probably solve this, I will order a new windscreen and with the hood skeleton and door frames in position I can adjust the fit for the windscreen.
Mats
1966 S1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic