Cold start issue

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Lodgebaker
Great Britain

#1 Cold start issue

Post by Lodgebaker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:27 am

Hello Paul here. Relatively new owner of reconditioned S1 4.2. My issue is starting after 4/5 weeks. I don’t think choke is engaging properly as I try and try and she eventually fires up after numerous turns. It has electric start.

My question is where on the carbs is the interconnection such that perhaps I can manually pull it fully out? I am not sufficiently able to get under dash and things like that but I could lever it open or check if it is working?

I think I need to get it to the garage but is there something I can do simply first.

Runs fine once started. No such trouble in summer.

Hope you can help - thanks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Cold start issue

Post by mgcjag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:27 am

Hi....full details and diagrams in the Carb section of the service manual.....look at your carbs there are rods connecting all 3...the top ones are for the throttle..underneath is anorter set connectin all 3 and operate the choke lever....you should see the operating cable comming through the bulkhead inline with the rods and connecting to them..Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Lodgebaker
Great Britain

#3 Re: Cold start issue

Post by Lodgebaker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:30 am

Thanks Steve.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#4 Re: Cold start issue

Post by chrisfell » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Mine cranks over for several seconds if I’ve left it for a few weeks. If I start it within a week, it fires up almost straight away. Nothing wrong with the choke on my car, it gives a very rich mixture and needs backing off almost immediately. But it doesn’t like being woken from a deep sleep.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Xk38
Great Britain

#5 Re: Cold start issue

Post by Xk38 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi there i too had this problem recently and found the choke cabling fouling the middle mixture lever .
Rebent the cable away out of trouble and the choke lever finally moved up higher and it started first time.

Good luck
Nick Jones
Etype S1 DHC/OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#6 Re: Cold start issue

Post by malcolm » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:06 pm

I found mine needs a firm pull on the last section of the operating lever - doesn't come on quite fully otherwise.
Nonetheless, although it starts immediately when in regular use, it takes a lot of cranking when it's been left for a few weeks or more. I think this is fairly common. Just make sure you've got a good battery!
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bill Michigan
United States of America

#7 Re: Cold start issue

Post by Bill Michigan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:06 pm

Check the thread "Stuck Choke (Enrichment) Mechanism." It may be of help.

Also, unless all the enrichment jets are frozen, you can lift the external enrichment lever on one carb (with a wire or bent rod) while someone cranks the engine and it should start. In addition to starting it when nothing else works, this is also a way to confirm that the hard starting is due to a enrichment problem.

(Note: These comments pertain to 3.8L. I assume the enrichment set-up on the 4.2L is the same, but I'm not sure.)

Bill
1963 S1 3.8L OTS Cotswold Blue
2013 XF
Previous:
2002 XJR Series 100
1996 XJ6

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Granthar
Switzerland

#8 Re: Cold start issue

Post by Granthar » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:39 am

chrisfell wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:58 pm
Mine cranks over for several seconds if I’ve left it for a few weeks. If I start it within a week, it fires up almost straight away. Nothing wrong with the choke on my car, it gives a very rich mixture and needs backing off almost immediately. But it doesn’t like being woken from a deep sleep.
Hi there, this sounds exactly like my 1965 OTS. If left for a week or more it takes 30 secs or more to start (I leave time for the fuel pump to fill the float chambers). Less than a week starts no problem. My carbureted Ducati 900 Monster is the same. Feels as if the cranking is needed to fill the inlet manifold with new fuel vapour.

Did you finally sort the problem?
1965 S1 4.2 OTS. Opalescent silver blue. 1E 10786

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#9 Re: Cold start issue

Post by christopher storey » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:08 am

Granthar : your analysis is quite correct. The inlet tract on E types is particularly long , and of quite large daimeter, and requires filling before the engine wil fire up

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#10 Re: Cold start issue

Post by cactusman » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:43 am

Mine is the same....but my engine is out being rebuilt so maybe it will be better when all is renewed! :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic