Converting an S2 dash board to S1

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Steve1967
Great Britain

#1 Converting an S2 dash board to S1

Post by Steve1967 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:58 pm

Hello, me again! All of a sudden Ive become a regular. I hope thats OK?

You may remember that I am in the process of restoring my S1.5 roadster 4.2 from 1967. It's not a matching numbers car and is not special in any way at all, other than being an E Type of course!

I have already built in quite a few mods as I am building a drivers car, not a trailer queen. It has as standard a S2 dash board, but I have now fitted covered headlights as I prefer the look and it could have come with these, so not too much of a stretch.

I have just been offered a S1 centre dash section and rev counter and am thinking about converting mine to S1 spec, but I can see that its not that simple. My car came with no wiring - so no additional problem there, but I understand that the rev counter will be mechanical rather than my electrical one. I will also need to change the steering cowling/ignition & dip switch and I have been told that the choke mechanisms are different - although I don't understand why. There are probably other things too?

While I would prefer a S1 dash, the car is not a S1 and I can see trouble ahead. Has anyone else done this? Is it worth the trouble do you think? As you can see, I'm not worried about originality but I don't want to end up with a jalopy either. I have plenty to do on this project and additional effort and significant hidden cost I could do with out.

At the moment I am leaning against the idea but what do you think? Am I missing out on an opportunity?

I cant find another thread about this so any advice or experience will be very welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Steve
Steve living in Tewkesbury, UK
1967 E Type 4.2 series 1 OTS
1960 Austin Healey 3000 BT7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#2 Re: Converting an S2 dash board to S1

Post by Robbiee » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi Steve
When you say S1 dash do you mean the vinyl covered OR aluminium type?
If vinyl then it would fit quite well BUT an aluminium one might possibly be a step too far...just my humble view
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Quattrofrank
Norway

#3 Re: Converting an S2 dash board to S1

Post by Quattrofrank » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:23 pm

Have done my self
Not a big job but it depends on how far you would take it.
The best way forward is to purchase a s1 centre dash with switches and move the instrument over from your s2.
Same with tach unless you want to have the s1 tacho generator etc

To be 100% correct you need to change the dash front on both driver and passenger side as well (different handle for choke and heaters)

With regards to wiring the easiest solution in to purchase a dash loom from autospark for series 1 1/2 with series 1 dash

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Steve1967
Great Britain

#4 Re: Converting an S2 dash board to S1

Post by Steve1967 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:54 pm

That sounds really encouraging.....

The dash is NOT the aluminium type but the later covered type. It comes with all the instruments and switches. I guess if I keep my own rev counter I will just lose the clock - which (from this forum) seems pretty problematical anyway?

Is it just the handles for the choke and heaters I need then? That doesn't sound too bad or expensive..... although I think I will check before I commit!

Thank you for that!

Steve
Steve living in Tewkesbury, UK
1967 E Type 4.2 series 1 OTS
1960 Austin Healey 3000 BT7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robsan
Great Britain

#5 Re: Converting an S2 dash board to S1

Post by Robsan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:36 pm

The centre section of the dash will work if you have the correct wiring [suggested above]

If you also change the outer dash sections then the following will need to be included in your scope

Speedo, Rev Counter, light swithes etc, PLUS

Heater controls and Choke control

The actuating mechanism and fixings for Heater controls and choke are differant from S1 to S2

Also you would need to get round the tach gen vs impulse [ from coil wiring] issue of hooking up the rev counter [Tacho]

I am considering same mod on my S1.5. and have all issues sorted apart from Tacho input ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic