Series 1 4.2 Roadster light restoration work in progress - Italy

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Simone
Great Britain

#1 Series 1 4.2 Roadster light restoration work in progress - Italy

Post by Simone » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Here's an update on the restoration work. They found some rust, but not too much to cause any major problems. The rust on the door looks to me like we caught it just in time, eek! I have been using BAS International, SNG and The Jag Shop for replacement parts during the restoration and can say they have all been very helpful and speedy. I had no idea there were so many available parts out there, you could build an entire car from scratch just by ordering off SNG by the looks of it! We're replacing the hood, re-covering the seats, replacing foams, diaphragms, horse hair seat backs, centre console, and all necessary seals on the car. Any questions anyone might have about these parts, happy to answer as I've got to know them intimately over the past months. Most recent purchase was a wooden tracking strip for the hood from SNG. Are Etype hoods difficult to fit? I don't think the guys restoring it in Italy have ever done an Etype...we'll wait and see how it turns out. I think they're doing a wonderful job of the paintwork (Carmen Red) and rust repair, at least I think so, not being an expert. They're keeping me updated with photos (attached) which look promising. Any questions anybody might have, please ask away...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series 1 4.2 Roadster light restoration work in progress - Italy

Post by Gfhug » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:06 pm

Simone, good to see this update. Talk to BAS about fitting the hood. They can be difficult to fit properly and if not done well will leak.

See here for some previous posts on the subject: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13747

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Simone
Great Britain

#3 Re: Series 1 4.2 Roadster light restoration work in progress - Italy

Post by Simone » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Thanks Geoff, I will look into this and see if I can translate it all into Italian for the guys.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic