Side light lens

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
vaf123
Great Britain

#1 Side light lens

Post by vaf123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:59 pm

Hi
I am completing the bonnet wiring on my 1967 fhc. The car has been off the road since 1978 andhad nearside accident damage about that time. During the repairs a non U.K. sidelight seems to have been fitted. My question is has anyone seen this pattern, which is a Lucas item with all the small part numbers moulded into the edge. If anyone needs this pattern please pm me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

E600
Great Britain

#2 Re: Side light lens

Post by E600 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:19 am

The font of knowledge on lenses is Marek, who is on both this and Jag Lovers. He remanufactures lens for S1 and S3 and is very knowledgable, if you need anything in this area I would contact him.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#3 Re: Side light lens

Post by 44DHR » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:50 am

Just wondered what the outcome of this request was.
I have been looking through my spares and also found one lens with the “raised front” orange section.
The ones as fitted on my car are the flatter type, but just wondered if the “raised front” type were a later version or an Export version ?
Regards,
Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: Side light lens

Post by Heuer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:12 am

This is what we know about these fat-boy lenses: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?p=85644#p85644
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
vaf123
Great Britain

#5 Re: Side light lens

Post by vaf123 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:15 pm

I was at Jag Spares Day yesterday and managed to buy a fat sidelight lens in unused perfect condition for £10. I now have a pair of both patterns. I must say I like the look of the fat version but of course will fit the set of correct flat ones to my rapidly nearing completion fhc. I showed the lens to the fountain of all knowledge on the RH&J Smith stand whilst buying all the small unobtainable items which only he makes that I needed, and he said without hesitation it was fitted to the 2+2. Not having a spare parts book for that model I have been unable to check. I am sure we will hear more about this from owners.
As an aside I was encouraged to find that Jag Spares Day was much nearer to what it used to be with some real bargains to be had. Lots of interesting people to talk to and not only on the trade stands. I spent quite a lot of money but am very pleased with everything I managed to buy. My Series 1 will be all the better because of it.
Terry.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#6 Re: Side light lens

Post by MarekH » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:11 am

Dear Terry,

I wouldn't take "it's a 2+2"" as the final word on the topic. You've described your car as a fhc, not a 2+2 for starters. There are also for more 2+2 cars out there than reports of these lenses.

What I find curious is that in most (all?) cases, only one lens of the pair appears to be fat type. This suggests that they may have retrofitted as replacements. They certainly aren't "early", as they don't seem to appear on any marketing literature or with any regularity on pre1965 cars as seen compared to post 1965 cars.

Next fact is that they exist in both clear and amber. This means it isn't a single market specific thing, but had to apply to more than one market.

It is important to look at the substance of what they achieve and why someone would spend money altering a design. From a functionality point of view, all they appear to want to address is making the front flasher more visible at the front (and opposite side) of the car from where someone is turning to. Given that the series 2 cars mounted their indicators much further forward on the bonnet, I would speculate that this design came in possibly when draft regulations will have wanted the indicators to be more easily visible from the front and opposite side of the car and they were superceded by events - the s2 was introduced but there was no mandate to backdate the change. I'd look at draft US legislation for 1968-70 or to Technical Service Bulletins issued late in the s1 production timeline, addressing turn signal visibility.

Since orange bulbs are a relatively new innovation and having a "standard" slim clear indicator operating whilst sidelights are on (standard in the US market at the time), it may have been felt that not enough evidence of the intention to turn into the traffic flow was being presented and this was an attempt to remedy that, or the subsequent (far more costly) litigation that may have followed.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#7 Re: Side light lens

Post by MarekH » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:15 am

Dear Pat,

I have a set of very very pale amber s1 front lenses that would go well on your lightweight, given its silver paint. Just pop round some time and I'll dig them out.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JCrosby
United States of America

#8 Re: Side light lens

Post by JCrosby » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:57 am

I'd like to follow up in this thread with some kudos for Marek's lenses. I recently ordered a set of the clear for my US-spec S1 4.2, and found the price to be very reasonable, the quality excellent, and his service was exceptional and fast. I entered my car in a JCNA Concours and ended up taking 1st in class, and I'm sure it was the lenses! Thanks @MarekH !

1965 S1 4.2 OTS 1E10425

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic