Speedo Angle drive broken

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
david.coan
Great Britain

#1 Speedo Angle drive broken

Post by david.coan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:16 pm

I think i need a new speedo angle drive, the cable is not rotating at the speedo end. I have read other threads, it looks like its a pain to get to and change. But my question is do i need to be concerned about the repacement part from a UK supplier? My car is series 1.5 USA import so diff is a 3.54 ratio, will the speedo read correctly as UK cars are 3.07.
David
1968 S1.5 OTS, ex USA converted to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Speedo Angle drive broken

Post by christopher storey » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:36 pm

David : this may not be the angle drive, but can be the result of a broken cable or one where the squared off end has become rounded. What you need to do is to take off the angle drive and examine it on the bench . If you rotate the gearbox end and the speedo end of the angle drive rotates, then the fault lies either in the cable ( common ) or in the drive dog ( plastic at one end and about 5cms long ) which is uncommon. I have a feeling that the angle drive for any axle ratio is the same with - IIRC - an 11 output/14 input ratio, and that the drive dog is also the same , and it is the speedometer which has different specifications . The angle drive part number is C25547 and the drive dog ( known more correctly as the speedo driven gear ) is C21310 . Sometimes it is possible to prize the cover off the angle drive and repair a fault in the gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
david.coan
Great Britain

#3 Re: Speedo Angle drive broken

Post by david.coan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Thanks for the advice. Its seem obvious now about the different speedo take account of the different ratios, i should have known that was the answer. Hopefully i will find i need a new cable and that will solve my problem.
David
1968 S1.5 OTS, ex USA converted to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sarthe72
Great Britain

#4 Re: Speedo Angle drive broken

Post by Sarthe72 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:36 am

As regards angle drives, I bookmarked this article some years back:-