creak in the steering column

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Polse7317
France

#1 creak in the steering column

Post by Polse7317 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:02 pm

I have a squeak noise when i turn my steering Wheel almost when i begin to drive, the noise almost disappear when i have driven some miles…. Are the parts arrowed below the suspects ? :scratchheadyellow:
If i am right where is the best part to replace ?
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#2 Re: creak in the steering column

Post by Robbiee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi Yves
Could be the felt bushes that you point to, however they don't usually squeak! More commonly the compress and leave the column feeling a little wobbly (great english word).
If the bushes have been replaced by the slimmer plastic ones then these can squeak when cold ...try a little squirt of silicone lubricant
Alternatively it could be the indicator mechanism surround rubbing

Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: creak in the steering column

Post by abowie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:37 pm

The culprit is often the little rubber boot in the housing on the firewall that the column goes through into the engine bay.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#4 Re: creak in the steering column

Post by MarkRado » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:02 am

:yeahthat:
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Polse7317
France

#5 Re: creak in the steering column

Post by Polse7317 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:17 am

I have already lubricate the rubber …..without succes , so i'll dismantle the upper column and replace the two felt bearings and see…. ! ( silicone lubricate was also tried…)
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#6 Re: creak in the steering column

Post by ralphr1780 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:14 am

Polse7317 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:17 am
I have already lubricate the rubber …..without succes , so i'll dismantle the upper column and replace the two felt bearings and see…. ! ( silicone lubricate was also tried…)
Yves, I wouldn't go that fast as could end up disturbing other stuff... I would drive it some time and see whether things get better. Temperature is also a factor, park it in the sun and see whether this makes any change or not. With such a car, you also have to get your ears used to various creaks and other noises :bigrin:
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#7 Re: creak in the steering column

Post by Heuer » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:51 am

Firstly it depends whether you have the felt bushes or the Elastollan ones. The felt reproduction ones are very thick and you need to soak them in a jar of oil for a couple of weeks before using. The Elastollan (plastic) are better but you need to modify them to fit your car. With the column on the bench insert the bushes and then the inner column. Usually it will be very stiff to turn by hand so you need to remove the inner column and gently ream the the bushes with a Dremel and drum sander bit. Re-insert and retest. Repeat this until you can turn it smoothly - remember with the steering wheel on you will be exerting a lot more force so go carefully. Test again with the steering wheel on the column. I do two quick orbits on each bush with the sander between testing.

What you are looking for when the wheel is in place is to have a slight movement of the column up/down/left/right to the point where you think you need new bushes. Worry not because as the car gets hot the inner column expands and takes up the slack. If you just try for no movement in the wheel before startup you will lose self centring and the column will squeak.

Allow a couple of hours for the whole process and be prepared to take the column apart again if you have not got it right. Do not use oil or grease between the column and bush. Personally I would avoid the felt bushes fitted to the earlier cars because you can't fettle them to fit and they are not the right size. On my FHC there were no squeaks with the felt but self centring was lost so I moved over to the Elastollan. Get it right and the steering is a dream.
:swerve:

Hint: buy a couple of sets of the Elastollan bushes because you will probably over sand the first set! On the positive side the Elastollan is very tough so they don't sand easily.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Polse7317
France

#8 Re: creak in the steering column

Post by Polse7317 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:35 am

Thank's everyone, i'll order 2 sets of elastolan and try what David says…. :hammerdrill:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#9 Re: creak in the steering column

Post by MarkRado » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 pm

In the end I had bronze bushes made, installed and reamed, steering was a little stiff at the beginning, but is still wonderfully tight with zero play after many years now, something Id really recommend.
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PhilBell
Great Britain

#10 Re: creak in the steering column

Post by PhilBell » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:38 pm

Mine has started making this noise recently, approx 20,000 miles after the car was comprehensively restored. No idea which bushing material is in there. Mine is a Feb 62 car, so would it have had felt originally? Question for the experts - what are the downsides of trying to lube the bushings in-situ?
Phil
1962 FHC 885626

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#11 Re: creak in the steering column

Post by Heuer » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:22 am

Would have been felt initially but replaced by Elastollan, a polyurethane bush in period. The felt bushes need to be soaked in oil for about 6 weeks before fitting, the Elastollan require no lube at all. but modern repro's need to relieved with a dremel to get them squeak free. You need to dismantle the column to resolve the problem.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ysmalkie
Poland

#12 Re: creak in the steering column

Post by ysmalkie » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:12 pm

I installed needle bearings. I will see how they work once I get the car finally on its wheels...

Tadek
Tadek

e-type S1 3.8 FHC - in restoration phase...
Jaguar XK120 OTS
Austin-Healey 100 BN2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic