Driver's Side Door won't open

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
joer308
United States of America

#1 Driver's Side Door won't open

Post by joer308 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:58 am

Well, My Series 1 OTS driver's door won't open from either the inside or out. What can I do? I don't think I can take the interior panel off with the door closed?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#2 Re: Driver's Side Door won't open

Post by angelw » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:22 am

Hello Joe,
With a tool you will have to make; I've made it using a 1" wide paint scraper for the purpose of removing the door card from a closed door, you will be able to remove the door card. If you use a paint scraper as the base donor, heat will be required to bend the blade the 90degs. The tool has circa 11mm folded to 90degs and in use, the folded section slips under the bottom of the door card, with the main part of the tool nearly vertical, then moved in such a manner that has the folded section slip between the door frame and the door card. Once in this position, slid the tool sideways until it contacts a clip securing the door card to the door frame, then pull towards the centre of the car to remove the clip from it's corresponding hole in the door frame. Repeat until all clips along the bottom are free of the door frame.

In most cases the same procedure is used for the rear edge of the door card, but in those cases where this is not possible, the door card can be distorted enough from the front and bottom edge, without damage, to be able to dislodge most of the top edge from the chrome moulding to allow other, longer levers to be used to dislodge the rear edge of the door card.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
joer308
United States of America

#3 Re: Driver's Side Door won't open

Post by joer308 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:50 pm

Bill,
Holy Crap!! That worked like a charm!

Now I have to figure out how to open the door!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic