Should dashboard indicator lights flash

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

#1 Should dashboard indicator lights flash

Post by 265bhp » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:44 pm

Hi all

Am currently going through testing the loom and have an issue with the indicators

I have checked and checked and am pretty sure I have connected all the wires correctly on the indicator stalk switch...but

With standard bulb/lamps I get a flashing for the external body mounted indicators..but just a constant illuminated dash light behind the green triangles

With LED’s and the correct flasher unit (all from Better Lighting) I get only a constant illumination from the body indicator units and no lighting of the green triangles at all

First question please is whether the triangles should flash or not

Many thanks
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#2 Re: Should dashboard indicator lights flash

Post by rswaffie » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:56 pm

Hi,
For both bulb types, the green dash lights should flash.
The wiring to the led flasher relay unit may be different to a non led unit, particularly the earth if you are on +ve earth. I had the similar issue and Gil provided the following info “ On your installation, please reinstall my relay and reverse the "+" and the "L" as your car is positive earth.“
I also used bettercarlighting for my leds, and I needed diode bridges fitted at the rear body indicators to prevent issues with other lighting circuits.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

#3 Re: Should dashboard indicator lights flash

Post by 265bhp » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:15 pm

Hi Richard

I had thought as much...I wonder what is wrong then as even with standard bulbs I have no flashing at the dash triangles...?

As for the LED set up...I have reversed the connectors on the flasher unit as I am running -VE earth...as per the advice from Gil..so that should be ok

It is indeed a puzzle

Best
Jonathan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#4 Re: Should dashboard indicator lights flash

Post by MarekH » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:08 am

If you up my fee from last week's half a pastie up to a whole bacon sandwich plus tea, I'll come and sort it out.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#5 Re: Should dashboard indicator lights flash

Post by rswaffie » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:13 am

Hi Jonathan
I would start by taking the led setup out of the equation and get the standard bulb/relay working.
If the direction indicators are flashing, but the dash warning are constant, that suggests either a wiring issue from the indicator flasher relay to the warning bulbs or more likely, an earthing issue at the indicator stalk end. The wiring diagram is pretty clear as to the config from the relay to the warning bulbs and back to the indicator stalk, so if all your connections are in line with the diagram, then my money is on an earthing issue at the stalk.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

#6 Re: Should dashboard indicator lights flash

Post by 265bhp » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:27 pm

Hi Marek
You have a deal..!.. :bigrin:

Hi Richard
I think you are possibly right..the earthing is done via the fixing bolts which is suspect..I have tried extra earths to no available..but I am sensible enough to admit electrics are not my forte....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#7 Re: Should dashboard indicator lights flash

Post by rswaffie » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:54 pm

Mine neither, though I’ve learnt plenty during my restoration. The electrics, whilst ostensibly the most straightforward part of the process (all new looms, lots of diagrams on the forum and the Coventry book) turned out to be the most frustrating part! Nine times out of ten the electrical problems I had were down to a bad earth somewhere. Maybe once or twice I didn’t read the diag correctly!!
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

#8 Re: Should dashboard indicator lights flash

Post by 265bhp » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:10 pm

rswaffie wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:56 pm
Hi,
For both bulb types, the green dash lights should flash.
The wiring to the led flasher relay unit may be different to a non led unit, particularly the earth if you are on +ve earth. I had the similar issue and Gil provided the following info “ On your installation, please reinstall my relay and reverse the "+" and the "L" as your car is positive earth.“
I also used bettercarlighting for my leds, and I needed diode bridges fitted at the rear body indicators to prevent issues with other lighting circuits.
Hi Richard

Just to report the indicators are now working...but in order to get LED dash indicators I needed the same diodes as you had to use....and in order to get LED front and rear indicators Gil also suppliers me with a pair of Load Resistors

For anyone reading this thinking of doing LED it may seem a bit contrived, as the Load Resistors were the only way to simulate the load of a regular incandescent lamp...but for me the benefit was brighter lights ultimately during regular operation....and the resistors are over designed so as to not run hot in operation

All the best
Jonathan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#9 Re: Should dashboard indicator lights flash

Post by rswaffie » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:34 pm

Glad you got it sorted out.
You are right, changing to LED bulbs can be a bit of a faff as we have both found out, it’s not just a case of replacing one for the other. However, the benefits in terms of brighter lights (stop lights much better) and less draw seem to be worth it in the end. I particularly like their blue dash/instrument bulbs - I can actually see my dials now!
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic