63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Ropariva
Australia

#1 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by Ropariva » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:27 am

Hi All,
I’ve had my ‘70 S2 coupe for several years now and it’s pretty much sorted, but then out of the blue the purchase of a late 63 coupe presented itself. It’s a well progressed project, basically a finished rolling shell that has only had door latches and wiring loom installed Apart from that it’s totally bare with many many boxes of new and reconditioned parts. This will be my first “bare shell” rebuild and have been thinking about the best order to tackle the project. It comes with a full upholstery kit, lots of new chrome, rebuilt engine and gearbox etc. basically an IKEA kit.
I know there are a number of members that have done these builds from scratch so am hoping for any tips and pointers that might help me avoid any pitfalls.
I’m collecting the car Saturday and as you can imagine there hasn’t been a lot of sleep has over the last couple of weeks
Thanks in advance. Pics to follow on collection.
Alan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#2 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by tinworm » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:47 pm

Take the parts book with you and spend considerable time looking at what you have. Check the bumpers match the body curvature or they will have to be ground/built up with weld to make them fit (and then re-chromed) Check the parts you have are from a 3.8 and not a s2 2+2 for example as many are different. Check the pedal box is the right one and complete as it would be very expensive to find one now. I once met a guy who had bought an E-type roadster restoration project - which had the back half of a s3 2+2 a 420 gearbox an XJ6 engine etc etc.

Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Ropariva
Australia

#3 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by Ropariva » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi Barrie,
I’ve already done the inspection and spent five hours on site. I’m under no illusion that parts will be needed but have ticked off the big ticket items like pedal box, instruments, heater box, Radiator, Screenjet bottle, fluid bottles, header tank, exhaust system etc There are many double ups, like bumper blades, indicator assemblies etc, but there are lots of smaller items missing like rad hoses and clamps, nuts and bolts etc, but all of this is in the budget.
From here I will spend a couple of weeks cataloging everything and putting a list together of the necessaries before refitting the first item. That will probably be the headlining and dynamat. Then....? What’s next?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#4 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by 265bhp » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:21 pm

Waxoil it.....well before you have any clean bits on ..!

More photos needed....

All the best
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#5 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by 288gto » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:12 am

Ropariva wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:25 pm

. That will probably be the headlining and dynamat. Then....? What’s next?
Pipes inside the bulkhead, wiper rack again inside the bulkhead , fuel tank and then the loom. If you can fit the first three without losing your patience, it's all plain sailing from there. :bigrin: :lol:

I think it's mentioned above, but trial fit all the chrome etc as there is no guarantee this has been done already.
Chroming can take 6 to 8 weeks so plan ahead.
Also get a set of new rubbers from Baines and make sure all the doors close with them on, often this is overlooked by the body shop.

Buy plenty of good quality masking tape that doesn't damage the paint or leave a residue.

All the best with the rebuild
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Ropariva
Australia

#6 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by Ropariva » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:21 am

Thanks guys,
The tank is brand new and is yet to be fitted. On the plus side, the water pipes behind the firewall and the wiper rack are in and secured. I’d had fun with these on my S2. You know how it goes after struggling for several hours and it’s finally done. “Well, that was fun” is the usual comment :bigrin:
Collection tomorrow. Getting a bit excited 👍

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#7 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by Gfhug » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:59 am

Alan, it must get quite warm some months of the year for you. Have you considered air con to make the car more usable throughout the year? There are a few companies doing retrofit kits and they get good reviews. Something to consider before you start putting everything back in place?

Good luck with the new project and it’ll be good to see photos.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#8 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by tinworm » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:21 am

Another thing to go in early is the fuel pipe union in the rear bulkhead and the fuel pipe down the right hand chassis leg - this needs to go in before the axle.
Also the left rear bumper before the fuel tank on a 3.8

Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#9 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by abowie » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:41 am

Where to begin? Sell it to me!!!
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#10 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by Robbiee » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:19 am

I would check fit of the rear lights to the body.. my body/paint shop will not shape the rear lower body without trial fitting the lights first.
I would second the aircon in the coupe..I’ve fitted the Clayton classics system and it’s been great this summer to have cool air coming from he footwell upwards.
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#11 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by rswaffie » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:10 am

As noted in an earlier post, getting the heater pipes and wiper mechanism in place in the bulkhead/ dash void should be done first - particularly the washer jets and their associated nylon hoses. I did those first, followed by the wiper mech, then the s/s heater pipes. If you are doing it on your own (as I was) there is a trick using bungee chord to hold the water pipes In place whilst you pop rivet the flanges in place. But you can only really do that when the engine is out and you can stand in between the frames, facing the windscreen.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Ropariva
Australia

#12 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by Ropariva » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:29 am

265bhp wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:21 pm
Waxoil it.....well before you have any clean bits on ..!

More photos needed....

All the best
Jonathan
Good idea. I’m going to get out the inspection camera and have a good poke around inside to see what’s been done. As someone else started this project, much of what bend done already is a mystery

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Ropariva
Australia

#13 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by Ropariva » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:30 am

abowie wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:41 am
Where to begin? Sell it to me!!!
Hahah...Nope!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Ropariva
Australia

#14 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by Ropariva » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:33 am

Gfhug wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:59 am
Alan, it must get quite warm some months of the year for you. Have you considered air con to make the car more usable throughout the year? There are a few companies doing retrofit kits and they get good reviews. Something to consider before you start putting everything back in place?

Good luck with the new project and it’ll be good to see photos.

Geoff
Yes, it does get quite warm, so driving in summer months can be fairly uncomfortable. An efficient aircon would be awesome. Will see what the budget allows!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Ropariva
Australia

#15 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by Ropariva » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:34 am

Robbiee wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:19 am
I would check fit of the rear lights to the body.. my body/paint shop will not shape the rear lower body without trial fitting the lights first.
I would second the aircon in the coupe..I’ve fitted the Clayton classics system and it’s been great this summer to have cool air coming from he footwell upwards.
Robbie
Too late for trial fitting. I only hope that this was done prior to painting. The rear bumpers are on at least and look like a decent fit.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Ropariva
Australia

#16 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by Ropariva » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:39 am

rswaffie wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:10 am
As noted in an earlier post, getting the heater pipes and wiper mechanism in place in the bulkhead/ dash void should be done first - particularly the washer jets and their associated nylon hoses. I did those first, followed by the wiper mech, then the s/s heater pipes. If you are doing it on your own (as I was) there is a trick using bungee chord to hold the water pipes In place whilst you pop rivet the flanges in place. But you can only really do that when the engine is out and you can stand in between the frames, facing the windscreen.
All that hard work has been done. Phew!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

E600
Great Britain

#17 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by E600 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:41 am

There is a chap in U.K. compiling a register of 3.8 rhd FHC, his name is Gary Oxley and he is on Facebook, I am sure he would love to hear from you. He has stats for about 43% of the cars made.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#18 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by JulianBarratt » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 am

Hi Alan
This looks like a great project car with some of the hard work already done.
Not sure how far you have got in terms of sourcing parts but, for anyone starting out, i always suggest putting a bit of a list together and approaching a supplier with your list - rather than a few parts at a time. This can give you chance to secure a bit of discount on the parts - even if you plan to space the purchases out over time.
Additionally, its worth asking if a supplier can put you in touch with an individual point of contact within their company. While most ordering can be done online these days - we find that customers doing larger projects still benefit from a contact person during the project.
Finally, at this stage its important to consider what upgrades (if any) you plan to do on the car. As you probably know, E-type have a huge number of possible upgrade options so think about whether the car is destined to be a concours winner or you plan to drive extensively once completed.
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Ropariva
Australia

#19 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by Ropariva » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:11 am

Thanks Julian,
The PO has included many $$$$ of brand new items with the car but missing are seats, screen, and lots of interior upholstery bits and bobs. Many upgrades are on my mind including a 5 speed box and brake upgrades as well as a set of new wheels...too many things to think about all at once . A list will be needed once I begin so as to approach suppliers like yourselves to discuss Many thanks Alan.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

64etype
United States of America

#20 Re: 63 Coupe project, Where to begin?

Post by 64etype » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:02 pm

I referenced the following blog a fair amount when resurrecting my '64...the interior installation is in Section III.

http://www.relicrecyclery.com/Jaguar/63EType.htm
Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic