Series 1 - Dunlop Clutch master cylinder push rod length

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Carajas
Australia

#1 Series 1 - Dunlop Clutch master cylinder push rod length

Post by Carajas » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi all,

I am restoring/doing LH to RHD conversion on my 1961 Flat Floor. I would like inquire if anybody can advise the length of the push rod for an original early 3.8l Dunlop clutch master cylinder ?? The push rod is an aftermarket item and appears to be too long causing the clutch peddle to be situated significantly higher than the brake peddle. I understand later 4,2l cars have a longer push rod ??? So I am wondering if this explains what I have and the problem I am having ??? Assuming this is the case, I plan to reduce the length of my push rod by around 15mm which should bring the clutch and brake peddles into line. However It would be comforting to hear from others on this subject and if possible confirmation of the correct length for the push rod --thanks

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Duckham
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series 1 - Dunlop Clutch master cylinder push rod length

Post by Duckham » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:54 am

I cant tell you the length of the pushrod as my car has a repro master cylinder which may be different, but to get the pedal heights aligned I used a spacer from the later cars which worked very well.
http://classicjaguar.com/cj/spacer.html
Joe
1963 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Carajas
Australia

#3 Re: Series 1 - Dunlop Clutch master cylinder push rod length

Post by Carajas » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:35 pm

thanks for the feedback Joe --- this would be a very flexible and convenient fix. I will probably need fit longer studs and I will investigate this now --- thanks again

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Duckham
Great Britain

#4 Re: Series 1 - Dunlop Clutch master cylinder push rod length

Post by Duckham » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:02 am

Initially I put washers on the studs between master cylinder and pedal box to get to the right pedal height.
When I got the spacer (available from other suppliers btw) it was way too thick so I thinned it to the same thickness as the washers. I did change the studs at the same time although it wasn't really necessary.
Joe
1963 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#5 Re: Series 1 - Dunlop Clutch master cylinder push rod length

Post by Mich7920 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi
I have the same problem.
The spacer is a solution but I don't think it's THE solution.
Looking the "factory fit" There's no spacer for the serie 1 - 3.8l neither for the serie 1- 4.2L. so the solution is elsewhere.
The length of the pushrod is important and also the captive washer on the rod witch is stopped by a clip is also important.
I have a new master cylinder and pushrod, but the captive washer is really too smaller than my original one and it pass throught the stop clip. So I have a very hight clutch pedal with a long "free" travel.
Luckily the pedal is stopped before the pushrod comes out of the master cylinder !
Next job for me will be to re fit the original pushrod and look at what happen.
Mich
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#6 Re: Series 1 - Dunlop Clutch master cylinder push rod length

Post by Mich7920 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:00 am

Hi,
I solved my problem and purhaps it could help you.
I remembered I kept my original master cylinder and changed only the push rod.
The new push rod had a smaller captive washer and it passed throught any retainer clips.
I refit my original push rod with the orginal clip and it stopped at the good height fot the clutch pedal now.
Mich
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#7 Re: Series 1 - Dunlop Clutch master cylinder push rod length

Post by Simonpfhc » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:14 am

Hi Tony,

If it’s any help, here is a picture of my clutch master cylinder from my ‘62. I didn’t measure the pushrod, but hopefully you can get a good estimate from the picture:

Cheers

Simon.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#8 Re: Series 1 - Dunlop Clutch master cylinder push rod length

Post by Mich7920 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:50 pm

Hi,
This is the answer you waited for :
It's an original one with large washer.

The spacer came for the série 2 because of they changed the master cylinder (45°).
For the serie 1- 3.8 and 4.2 the master cylinder ( 90°) and pushrod have both the same reference into the well known provider as well as the pushrod for the serie 2.
Mich
Michel

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic