S1 Seats

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Javelin
Great Britain

#1 S1 Seats

Post by Javelin » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Hi Folks, as I said in my intro, I will have questions! So first one is regarding that the Drivers O/S seat has gone missing in action at some stage. So I have been looking all over the net and they would appear to be as rare as rocking horse poo!

Are the seat frames (The frame that fastens to the floor) the same for offside and nearside?
Are there any restorers manufacturing these or the seats or any parts of?
If I had two passenger seats, would I be able to get one of them to fit the drivers side by changing the seat base foam and flipping the solid base?

I have yet to see the seat we have and have been going off photos and diagrams so I may be talking rubbish ha ha!

Regards Steve
Steve
Technical Adviser to a :bigrin:
S1 2+2 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: S1 Seats

Post by Gfhug » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:23 pm

Fit MX5 seats:
http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16695

Read the upgrade on them, well worth doing and cheaper than a new original seat

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Javelin
Great Britain

#3 Re: S1 Seats

Post by Javelin » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Yeah, I am aware of the MX option, they were a popular fit on Mokes .. we have new covers so I am guessing Barrie wants to go down the keeping it original route but I will mention that for sure when I can get over there and see just exactly what he has.
Steve
S1 2+2 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#4 Re: S1 Seats

Post by paulsco » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi Steve,

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the seat frames in the 2+2 are the same as the FHC; the trim is different however.

The frames are not sided, but there is a piece of hardboard trimming to support the foam on the underside of the seat base that makes it sided.

Note the 1.5 and Series Two seat frames are not the same as the Series One.

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Javelin
Great Britain

#5 Re: S1 Seats

Post by Javelin » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Wooo hoooo Thats just the info I was looking for Paul .. And the photos will be a great help too! Can I be cheeky and ask if you have photos of the backrest as well, I am assuming that they are constructed using some sort of sterling board? as opposed to a metal frame.

Edit,k I just looked properly at the bottom photo, is that the backrest?
Steve
S1 2+2 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: S1 Seats

Post by mgcjag » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:11 pm

Hi Steve.....as i see you are looking for a seat then be aware that the reclining mechanism are handed and there are different hinges so have a good look at the one you already have...the seats also mount onto runners...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#7 Re: S1 Seats

Post by paulsco » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:26 pm

Yes the bottom photo is the backrest.

The backrest is as you see it; no boards. The rubber rings are the support for horsehair, which covers the rubber rings and is folded over at the top.

There are two further pieces added to the outer part of the front to create a curved effect.

Over the edge is some wadding to pad it out where necessary.

By the way, I had trouble getting enough clearence on the passenger side by the centre console on mine, but I am assured they are not sided.

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#8 Re: S1 Seats

Post by paulsco » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi Steve,

There is no reclining mechanism as such on the Series One, but it does have rising blocks to change the angle of the seat back.

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Javelin
Great Britain

#9 Re: S1 Seats

Post by Javelin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:30 pm

We may be able to get another passenger seat which would solve most of the problem, the seat leathers, back and front are in fairly good condition and he would prefare to keep them as is, so anyone got an old seat base cover in Black (Drivers side) they would be willing to part with? or even enough old material to re-manufacture a base cover?
Steve
S1 2+2 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Javelin
Great Britain

#10 Re: S1 Seats

Post by Javelin » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:02 pm

Well we managed to get hold of another passenger seat complete with the frame. bit rough but we should be able to sort it and get it into the drivers side without much hassle, still looking for an age related drivers seat base cover or even a piece of any make/model material that I could cut and sew into the cover. From what Barrie has said, we have all the bits and pieces to put the trim back in, I can't remember but, when we stripped it down, everything was saved and boxed right down to the self tappers! We both have a few other things to do at the moment, but should start working early December (Also after a garage sort out)

I have spent hours reading this forum, so we are feeling quite confident and motivated!
Steve
S1 2+2 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Javelin
Great Britain

#11 Re: S1 Seats

Post by Javelin » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 am

We have come up with a solution for the seat base cover, and also to match the rear of the backrests to match the original spec, so they should be done by January, only thing holding us back is, it's bloody cold in his garage! Also been digging around in my garage and found loads of AF/UNF nuts, bolts, washers etc and a couple of rolls of vinyl & hooding so we should have enough bits and bobs to recover anything that needs doing.
Steve
S1 2+2 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Javelin
Great Britain

#12 Re: S1 Seats

Post by Javelin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:12 pm

Quick update on the seats.

Converted the 2nd passenger seat into a drivers seat, sewn in new panels on the base and had a very quick wipe over with restorer, re-newed the back of the backrests to match and very pleased how they look now. The side chrome or should I say rusty seat hinges will soon be away at the chromers. Doors are in the process of being built up, vinyl door tops re-covered, going to see how the doors fit before I re-cover the panels as I have read somewhere that they can be a tight fit to the sill flange area. (See my question re door locks)
Steve
S1 2+2 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic