Two different round fluid reservoirs

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Maikel
Germany

#1 Two different round fluid reservoirs

Post by Maikel » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:29 am

I have several of these fluid reservoir brackets with bottles.

Now on assembly I realized the two different shapes and wonder if any of you also has these two shapes and what is the purpose of the different designs.

Many thanks
Attachments
Fluid bottles Kopie.jpg
Fluid bottles Kopie.jpg (223.62 KiB) Viewed 2453 times

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Two different round fluid reservoirs

Post by cactusman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:59 pm

Can't comment on the difference between the one on the left and the other three but I would observe that there is no visible seam on any of the bottles. They appear to be blow moulded in one piece and not as two half sections that are then (badly) joined as seems to be the case with most of the reproduction sovy bottles ( and all the rubbish ones I've bought). Be interested to see one of the three identical ones from several angles to confirm the lack of seam....and if there is no seam then Julian Barratt....over to you and your excellent team to produce a seam free ( and thus leak free free) sovy copy :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

steve3.8
Great Britain

#3 Re: Two different round fluid reservoirs

Post by steve3.8 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:29 pm

I think they would b all one piece blow moulded , only that the ones with a visible seam have a poor tooling split line with flash that is maybe trimmed off at production.
Just a guess Maikel's fluid bottle with the inverted bottom could maybe have been subjected to pressure ?

Steve
Steve3.8

64 3.8 fhc, 67 4.2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#4 Re: Two different round fluid reservoirs

Post by Robbiee » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:45 pm

My S1 has the same bottle as the one on the left for the clutch fluid and the other type for the two brake fluid bottles. They’re a bit yellow but otherwise in good shape so I’m reusing them
I find it hard to imagine that pressure has caused this on his as well as mine, so they were probably manufactured this way
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Maikel
Germany

#5 Re: Two different round fluid reservoirs

Post by Maikel » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:45 am

Upon further investigation at my neighbour who is restoring a mid 62 OTS we found 3 original fluid reservoirs which are all three convex and all do have the filter inside just as all the other originals. He only has one E Type purchased 33 years ago and has nothing to mix.

He bought a new repro clutch reservoir which is concave and has no filter!!!

I do not think that any operating pressure will deform the originals as they are dead solid.

A reason for the concave style might be to gather the residuals at the bottom of the bottles to avoid a broken sieve would let any dirt into the system.
That might have been more relevant to the brake system rather the clutch line.

However, they all do have a solid sieve and there should not be any dirt at all in the system unless the cork is deteriorating and might cause a problem. So the system with the sieve should already be enough and the originals are far better than the repros. As the clutch bottle does not has such a cork the need for the "sump" was not needed.

As my neighbour with his mid 62 car only has the convex type it might be just that Jaguar used up all bottles they had left as shortly after Jaguar introduced the square bottles.

Here are the VIN when the change took place.

My conclusion is:
Both styles could and were used (especially before the change to square bottles) but the concave were more meaningful for the brake system as a broken sieve would lead dirt into the brake line when bleeding which obviously is more of a problem as for the clutch line.

It is one of these things which are not 100% sure just as several other things when it comes to strict originality.

Here is someone offering this type of bottles and also here the seller has pictured both designs. No relation to the seller but surprised how expensive they are.
https://www.ebay.de/i/264354178915?camp ... -Id=100069

It was good to read that some others also had 2 different shapes and there is nothing wrong with it.

Many thanks for the input.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Two different round fluid reservoirs

Post by mgcjag » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:05 pm

And just to add on the original bottles we can clearly see a moulding line...just as in the new bottles....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#7 Re: Two different round fluid reservoirs

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi Steve

There will always be a moulding line on the bottles because, however they are made, the tool will need to open up to get the mouldings out. This is called a "flash line" where the tool sections come together and its how well the tool is made or how much wear is on the tool that determines how much flash you see.

We used to make blow moulding tools for the cosmetics industry and they were very critical of flash lines, for obvious reasons.

Hot plate welding is also used to join mouldings together but isn't ideal for this application. Although we used to successfully weld plastic kettle bodies together back before polypropylene became relatively stable around the boiling point of water.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: Two different round fluid reservoirs

Post by mgcjag » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:17 pm

Hi Stuart...Yes I know all that....I was making a point....its refered to too many times that the new bottles must be made in two halfes and joined together hence why they split....as in post 2 above......So just pointing out that the mould line can be seen on original bottles......SNGB have already confirmed that their bottles are one piece..not joined..Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

steve3.8
Great Britain

#9 Re: Two different round fluid reservoirs

Post by steve3.8 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 pm

Good that the convex and concave are intentional , and the thinking one gives a residue trap ---the concave one's on a rhd would also make slightly more room for the pipe to give a less severe bend next to the spigot --clue repro's :idea: win win- Jaguar were never far wrong.

It's maybe also confusing that on one hand toolmakers refer to the "split line of the dies /tool" -------and on the other moulding factories etc are referring to the "component flash line" ---
Plastic injection and diecast Toolmaking was most of my background up until 2000 ,here's one i made - sorry the photo is poor -- X100 XK8 engine covers.

Steve3.8

64 3.8 fhc, 67 4.2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic