Fibre washers on fuel banjos

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
JimH
Great Britain

#1 Fibre washers on fuel banjos

Post by JimH » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:19 pm

Hi guys checking parts lists and it mentions fibre washers for the fuel banjos.Having had problems using them on Triumph bonneville fuel taps in the past ,I have used copper and sometimes dowty washers in the past.
Your thoughts much appreciated.
😀Jim
67 series 1 2+2 ,68 MG midget 1st car,70 VW Dormobile type 2,3 BMW Isettas,2 Messerschmidts,
1 Heinkel Ireland,Zundapp Janus,Goggomobil Royal,Goggomobil Coupe & 7 Motorbikes

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#2 Re: Fibre washers on fuel banjos

Post by rfs1957 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:59 pm

Hi Jim,

There is another Topic covering these, I’ll try and find it for you, unless someone else beats me to it, as these washers are surprisingly difficult to get to seal, and have to be made to very tight tolerances if they are to have any chance of working.

The Dowty type, as I understand them, would have no chance of working as their specificity regards the way they grip the bolt shank.

The leaks in the banjo context are from the peripheries.

The ones under the bolt heads are constrained in all four directions, sitting as they do in a rebate, and the dimensions are super critical.

I believe copper would be worse than useless.

Always worth repeating over and over in any context regarding the banjo bolts, the special cutaway washers under the float-chamber cap banjos are a VITAL part of the float-level dynamics, anyone in doubt should take 5 minutes to do the physics.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JimH
Great Britain

#3 Re: Fibre washers on fuel banjos

Post by JimH » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:44 pm

Stick with the original then 😀👍🏻
67 series 1 2+2 ,68 MG midget 1st car,70 VW Dormobile type 2,3 BMW Isettas,2 Messerschmidts,
1 Heinkel Ireland,Zundapp Janus,Goggomobil Royal,Goggomobil Coupe & 7 Motorbikes

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mach2andy
Great Britain

#4 Re: Fibre washers on fuel banjos

Post by mach2andy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:00 pm

Hi Jim
This thread ran last year. One thing you can try is soaking the fibre washers in engine oil for a couple of days. That can help apparently?

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... lt+sealing

Kind regards
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic