Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
MikeE
Great Britain

#1 Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by MikeE » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:37 pm

I've seen a Feb 63 UK delivered OTS that I like the look of but it has black dash and center console. Should th4y both be aluminium on this build month?
62 FHC Restoration Project

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by Gfhug » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:21 pm

Changes seem to be from July 63, however: would it be a deal breaker if you like the rest of the car? Are you after concours or a car to enjoy driving?

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MikeE
Great Britain

#3 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by MikeE » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:19 pm

No not a deal breaker at all, I would rather have the aluminium and if that is indeed the correct spec then I'd just change it back to aluminium at a later date.

I've only just joined so I'm finding my feet on the forum, is there anywhere I can post a link to the advert and ask if people know the car?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#4 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by rswaffie » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:32 pm

Hi
In terms of posting a link to the car, you should be able to cut and paste it into the post.
The alloy dash & console should be cross hatch for this age of car, which you can’t get new. You would have to go for the polka dot if you want new.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ysmalkie
Poland

#5 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by ysmalkie » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:35 pm

James Lawrance does them.
At least he used to:

His phone used to be: 01590 683 288

Tadek
Tadek

e-type S1 3.8 FHC - in restoration phase...
Jaguar XK120 OTS
Austin-Healey 100 BN2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ysmalkie
Poland

#6 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by ysmalkie » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:37 pm

delete the hyphen and the link should work:

https://www.face-book.com/photo/?fbid=1 ... 7347486056
Tadek

e-type S1 3.8 FHC - in restoration phase...
Jaguar XK120 OTS
Austin-Healey 100 BN2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MikeE
Great Britain

#7 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by MikeE » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:03 pm

rswaffie wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:32 pm
Hi
In terms of posting a link to the car, you should be able to cut and paste it into the post.
The alloy dash & console should be cross hatch for this age of car, which you can’t get new. You would have to go for the polka dot if you want new.
Ah yes ok a 63 dash is different to a 61/62 polka dot dash. Did the 63 dash also gain an arm rest while still retaining the alloy centre console too?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MikeE
Great Britain

#8 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by MikeE » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:06 pm

Here’s the car in question, can anyone advise on its condition and price (other than the ride height is ridiculous high!)

http://www.autostorico.co.uk/cars-for-s ... i-roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#9 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by DWW » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:16 am

Have you seen the car in person or indeed test drove it? The ride height does seem to be on the high side for what ever reason. Also take into account that photos sometimes seem to make cars look better than in reality.
The passenger inner seal has some damage and the covering shows white staining, perhaps water ingress?
The manifolds are not original but that could be a good thing, it may have a sports exhaust too.

On Google search for images of 1963 OTS interior it shows most came with the alloy center console and no arm rest but one or two are like that one and do come with arm rest, regretfully the manufacture month or chassis number are not stated on them. It is quite possible that on restoration the previous owner wasn't happy with the state of the alloy parts or wanted to have an arm rest and decided to go with the present option or simply Jaguar ran out of parts that month......

As far as price is concerned it is a difficult one, as it isn't a current restoration my gut feeling, and I don't know whether my fellow owners here would agree, is that the asking price is too high as the car may require some attention to bring it up to standard, all that subject to viewing and having a proper test drive.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#10 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by Allrand » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:56 am

Here's an interesting quststion: did the non arm rest cars have the captive nut fittings in the door frame for arm rests? A check behind the door cards should reveal this.
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#11 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by MarkRado » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:11 am

Quite a lot of other details obviously not correct, maybe nothing serious, but probably not worth the money in this condition.
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#12 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by rswaffie » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:23 am

When you ask about the ‘arm rest’, are you referring to the items fitted to the doors, or the padded box in between the seats? My Nov 63 had the door rests, the centre padded box but the alloy trim beneath the leather covering!
I have also seen late 63, early 64 cars with the alloy trim and a leather centre box but no door arm rests. As the Americans say, ‘go figure’.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MikeE
Great Britain

#13 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by MikeE » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:47 am

No I haven’t seen the car yet I’m just trying to get a feel for what sort of 3.8 OTS or FHC £120k will buy me

The other one is the 64 black and red original IK spec OTS E-type UK have on at £110k. Again just going on the photos you can see corrosion breakthrough in the rear arches!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MikeE
Great Britain

#14 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by MikeE » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:47 am

I was referring to the centre console arm rests ‘box’

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MikeE
Great Britain

#15 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by MikeE » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:49 am

Can anyone point me at a 3.8 that the think is a good buy for £120K-ish to give me a yardstick?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#16 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by Gfhug » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:27 am

Mike, must it be a 3.8 and an OTS?
We have a well respected restorer on here Angus Moss (1954Etype) https://mossjaguar.com/index.html
You could do a lot worse than speak to him for advice or to ask if he would inspect the car for you. Don't just pick his brains for nothing, but he may know of a car that could fit your bill, not necessarily shown on his website.
Get out and look at more than this car and test drive a few before settling on what would suit your budget.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MikeE
Great Britain

#17 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by MikeE » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:04 am

Yes it would definitely have to be a 3.8 but open to both a FHC and some upgrades (5 speed, better brakes, electronic ignition, better cooling etc).

I have so many questions to ask about buying a restored car verses restoring what I can (mechanical and trim) and getting someone like Moss to do the bodywork. Is this a financially viable approach with a £125k budget etc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#18 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by Gfhug » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:20 am

Mike, I question why it must be a 3.8 if you then plan to fit a five speed box. As to what budget you need to get the car you want, I'd talk to Angus.
A 3.8 with the original Moss gearbox will be more expensive than one converted to five speed. Have you driven enough E Types to say why it must be the extra expense and work involved in fitting a five box? High speed cruising in an OTS is windy and noisy and even at 70-80 mph the gearing of a standard box is more than up to the job.
A 4.2 has better brakes, fitting a more modern radiator fan isn't too involved to improve cooling, a 123 tune ignition is easily fitted. All these much more simply done than a five box on a 3.8.

I hope my thoughts may help, others will have their own. It's your budget, often we are told get the best car you can for the price, not just the model you think you want. The biggest restoration cost is bodywork, rust, rust and rust in that order.

Good hunting

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#19 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by rswaffie » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:34 am

Mike,
£125k is a healthy budget but as you are finding out from looking around, that may get you an older restoration that could need some body/paint/mechanical work to get it to where you want it. You could look at something that is a restoration project at around the £40k mark and if you can do most of the donkey work yourself, (stripping it all down & reassembly) and get the pros to do the skilled stuff, you may be able to get a restored car within budget. It depends on your capabilities and you would be taking a chance. Similarly, you could chance your arm at an auction - prices will be lower there than retail?
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#20 Re: Feb 63 build with no Aluminum Dash

Post by Mich7920 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:30 pm

Hy,

On XKE DATA # 850657 with more details

Mich
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic