Correct position of Aerial

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
wild one
Great Britain

#1 Correct position of Aerial

Post by wild one » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:23 pm

Hi there,

Perhaps this has been answered somewhere in the vast collective of info on this great forum but here goes :

I've recently bought a1968 Series 1.5 LHD Canadian Roadster.

From what I can find it seems unlike the USA market, the Canadian spec was virtually identical to the current UK market spec at the time.

What I'd like to ask about are the aerials.

On mine it is positioned on the RHF scuttle area behind the bonnet.
Were aerials fitted here by the factory or were they fitted by dealers wherever they wanted ?

I will be converting it to RHD so if its factory fitted where is the correct spot to fit an aerial ?

Thank you

8-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Correct position of Aerial

Post by Heuer » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:17 pm

The aerial on the E-Type was typically fitted to the scuttle near the drivers door. There is a hole in the inner strengthening panel to accommodate it. If you want to fit an electrically operated aerial it will need to be on the rear wing allowing access from the boot. If you don't want to drill holes in the body search out a powered 'hidden' aerial which work quite well when attached to the windscreen.

View of the bulkhead showing internal hole for aerial shaft (LHD in this case) and access hole on side that will accommodate the speaker:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andrewh
Great Britain

#3 Re: Correct position of Aerial

Post by andrewh » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:18 am

I have just been through all this and filled the front hole as I wanted to for an electric aerial. You have to be careful to make sure you locate the aerial where it will not be fouled by the spare wheel and is clear of the fuel pump if still fitted inside rear wing. I have photos of where I put mine if it helps but you would need to source your electric unit first to check clearances as above.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
wild one
Great Britain

#4 Re: Correct position of Aerial

Post by wild one » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:05 pm

Thank you for your replies. It's a strong argument that a hole in the scuttle is an invitation for more corrosion possibilities.
As you suggest if there is a good enough hidden aerial that can use the windscreen that'll be good enough.
Unless it's sacrilegious. I'll weld up the hole.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philippe-J.
France

#5 Re: Correct position of Aerial

Post by Philippe-J. » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:40 pm

David,

I am at the same stage as WildOne with the aerial position (use it or refill it?).
I am wondering about your statement that it "was typically fitted to the scuttle near the drivers door", because mine is on the right hand side of the scuttle, when it is supposed to be a LHD car (sold in the US in 1967). Admittedly this is not that convenient for a manual aerial...

Another question BTW: is there any modern electrical aerial mechanism that would fit in the small cavity of the scuttle? I am thinking e.g. of that one sold by Limora:

because of the flexible cable between the motor and the aerial. But that scheme does not indicate any dimension nor the scale. So your experience is welcome if you have ever tried.

Regards.
Philippe-J

1967 S1(.25) OTS (well, bits of, so far...)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#6 Re: Correct position of Aerial

Post by ralphr1780 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:28 am

Philippe, indeed on a LHD car it would be on the passenger side.
This is the case on my S1, and I had scoured hundreds of pics to decide whether to fill-in the hole or keep.
Decided to keep it, as the hole was quite well done and I was worried the fill-in job might be troublesome.
As for an electrical aerial: could not find any that would fit in the cavity. Opted finally for an old simple manual one that is retracted most of the time. In practice, the few times I turn the radio on is when parked or in a traffic jam. The engine noise remains my preferred soundtrack.
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philippe-J.
France

#7 Re: Correct position of Aerial

Post by Philippe-J. » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:07 am

Ralph,

thank you for your advice/experience. I think I will follow it, although a manual aerial will indeed be much less convenient when situated on the wrong side as in my 67' OTS. But I will not try and weld the existing hole neither drill another one in fear of ruining the scuttle (in a place just under my eyes when driving the car :bigrin: ).

Philippe
Philippe-J

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#8 Re: Correct position of Aerial

Post by Heuer » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:19 pm

Philippe

The aerial was typically fitted to the scuttle near the drivers door - both LHD and RHD - as the panels are mirror imaged with the same access holes. In fact the SPC diagram shows the position for a LHD fitment. Basically you can choose which side you want the aerial on. On my RHD FHC the aerial is on the drivers side and was quite easy to extend literally as you opened the door to get in. Mine has a small key to pull it out (security feature) although I never pressed it in that far, always leaving the head exposed. Can't see the point of an electric aerial in an E-Type!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#9 Re: Correct position of Aerial

Post by ralphr1780 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:55 pm

And you can scroll the various pics in the factory fit S1 3.8 + 4.2, vast majority has the aerial on the right side scuttle.
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philippe-J.
France

#10 Re: Correct position of Aerial

Post by Philippe-J. » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:22 am

Thanks again for your experience stories. They confirm my decision to remain with a manual aerial on the existing RH side of the scuttle, albeit the car being LHD. As Ralph says it is not uncommon even if not convenient. The most recent example can be found on BAT today (maybe this was the (illogical) choice of the local dealer at the time?)
Philippe-J

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic