Gearbox upgrade

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
drichards
Australia

#1 Gearbox upgrade

Post by drichards » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:55 am

I appreciate this is an old topic but I am at my wits end with regard to installing a 5 speed gearbox on my ‘62 3.8 OTS. I initially had the original Moss box restored when I was living in NZ but even after that found it an awful box to use , especially changing down through the gears, (not just between first and second). Maybe the company didn’t do a good job, but I had moved back to Australia shortly afterwards and so had no real recourse. Having looked around and taken advice from a trustworthy friend who is much more of a guru than me I bought a 5 speed box from Uryk while he was still connected to E Type Fabs. The box has turned out to be a nightmare and in less than a few hundred Ks has now broken down twice, where it just decides not to budge an inch when trying to change gear. I think both times it has got stuck in fourth. I’m loathe to have it repaired again as clearly there is a fundamental issue with the way the box was made. The guy who repaired it knows the Tremec T5 really well and is at a loss why this has happened again. I’m tempted to get him to look at my old Moss box, but naturally am interested in current views on the “go to” 5 speed replacement. Many thanks for reading this long tirade!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#2 Re: Gearbox upgrade

Post by angelw » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:55 am

Where abouts in Australia are you?
Which Bell Housing was used? With one car that was brought to me to fix a T5 gearbox issue, the problem turned out that the face of the Bell Housing that attached to the engine wasn't parallel to the face that the gearbox attached to.

It was the third time the gearbox had failed before I got to look at it. I put it up on the table of a Machining Centre and clocked the face and it ran out by 1.5mm in the width of the face the Gearbox interfaced with.

A Toyota Supra W58 is a good combination with the XK engine and correct Bell Housings that don't require an adapter plate are available.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Gearbox upgrade

Post by mgcjag » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:31 am

Hi Bill...could you fit a w58 in a 3.8 ots?.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
drichards
Australia

#4 Re: Gearbox upgrade

Post by drichards » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:20 am

Thanks Bill, an interesting response!! As far as I am aware it should still have the original bell housing but I can’t say 100% it does. Uryk has been in touch and has been very helpful in trying to understand what is going wrong, I am based in Bayside, South East Melbourne about 1:45 hours drive from you. Can you PM me please?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#5 Re: Gearbox upgrade

Post by Series1 Stu » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:24 pm

drichards wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:20 am
I am based in Bayside, South East Melbourne about 1:45 hours drive from you. Can you PM me please?
Nice! 30 years ago I lived in Elwood and loved it.

Had some good friends that lived in Black Rock too.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#6 Re: Gearbox upgrade

Post by MarekH » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:50 pm

angelw wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:55 am
...the problem turned out that the face of the Bell Housing that attached to the engine wasn't parallel to the face that the gearbox attached to.
Interesting.

So does that mean it was never pointing into the crank in the right direction or that the mainshaft/flywheel changed orientation as it all heated up and cooled down?

Sorry for the thread drift, but it's an interesting problem and it must have created wear somewhere.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#7 Re: Gearbox upgrade

Post by angelw » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:52 pm

Marek Wrote:
So does that mean it was never pointing into the crank in the right direction or that the mainshaft/flywheel changed orientation as it all heated up and cooled down?
Hello Marek,
It never naturally aligned with the Crank Shaft and the Main Shaft was never perpendicular with the Flywheel irrespective of the temperature.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#8 Re: Gearbox upgrade

Post by abowie » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:33 am

mgcjag wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:31 am
Hi Bill...could you fit a w58 in a 3.8 ots?.....Steve
You can, and my mate Ron did just that. It did involve some panel work underneath.

I have a W58 in my MK2. It is good if a little long on the throw for my taste.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#9 Re: Gearbox upgrade

Post by mgcjag » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:27 am

Hi Andrew....i have a W58 in my C replica.....you can get a short shifter for them.......its a long gearbox.....often also used in the XK,s.....iv heard of them being fitted into the 2+2 E types. ....didnt think you could fit them in the short wheelbase E,s without floor pan and crossmember cutting.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#10 Re: Gearbox upgrade

Post by AussieEtype » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:16 am

Hi - my neighbour had a 66 Etype and replaced the 4 speed in it with a 5 speed kit from V&A Spiteri in Blackburn in Melbourne - right near you. http://www.vicspiteri.com.au/

My neighbour installed the T5 kit http://www.vicspiteri.com.au/products_gearbox.html

The kit went in easily and worked exceptionally well and having the supplier in Australia was a definite advantage.

I believe, but dont quote me, that the kits are put together by Spiteri with the boxes T5/Tremics being supplied by the Australian expert on these boxes - Mal Woods in Queensland https://malwoodauto.com.au/ . He does short extensions and gear changes that are suitable for e-types.

So give Spiteri a call to discuss or even Mal Wood.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#11 Re: Gearbox upgrade

Post by abowie » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:49 am

mgcjag wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:27 am
Hi Andrew....i have a W58 in my C replica.....you can get a short shifter for them.......its a long gearbox.....often also used in the XK,s.....iv heard of them being fitted into the 2+2 E types. ....didnt think you could fit them in the short wheelbase E,s without floor pan and crossmember cutting.....Steve
I did buy an admittedly cheap EBay short shift kit, but it wouldn't select reverse.

I think that Ron's car needed a fair bit of butchery to fit the box in.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic