Roadster windscreen rubbers

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 Roadster windscreen rubbers

Post by andrewh » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:31 pm

I am having the devils own job of fitting the Hockey sticks back to the car they came off. It’s all the stuff that came off the car except the rubber. The rubber almost feels too thick and keeping the chromes from fitting on nicely. Question is has anyone had this problem and put it down to bad windscreen rubbers ? Someone mentioned using a FHC rubber and cutting it down but I cannot see the advantage in that tbh Are there different manufacturers of windscreen rubbers out there ? Knowing my luck I have bought the wrong one !
Last edited by andrewh on Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#2 Re: Roadster windscreen rubbers

Post by Simonpfhc » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:35 am

Hi Andrew,

I didn’t have any problems when I refitted a set recently - in fact they went on easily. The OTS screen rubber came from COH Baines. The chrome trim along the lower front however, was a whole different story! The new screen rubber was indeed very soft and pliable.

Presume your hockey sticks have been re-chromed? Maybe lost some of their curvature??
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#3 Re: Roadster windscreen rubbers

Post by andrewh » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:42 am

Thanks Simon. Yes they are re chromed. My rubber came from SNGB as Baines told me they don’t do a series 1 roadster rubber. My lower chrome went in easily !! Did you have any photos of your installation ? It’s almost as if the rubber is sticking out too far and stopping the chromes from sitting back where they should be. Maybe the rubbers are different ?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#4 Re: Roadster windscreen rubbers

Post by Simonpfhc » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:02 am

Hi Andrew,

I’ll see if I can dig out the receipt.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#6 Re: Roadster windscreen rubbers

Post by abowie » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:43 pm

andrewh wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:31 pm
I am having the devils own job of fitting the Hockey sticks back to the car they came off.
This is a perennial problem. Lots of glue and swearing seems to help. You could use a flap disc to profile the seal if you were brave.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#7 Re: Roadster windscreen rubbers

Post by andrewh » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:51 am

I think the COH rubbers are for a series 3. Or at least thats what they chap on the telephone told me. Thank you .
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#8 Re: Roadster windscreen rubbers

Post by andrewh » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:56 am

Lots of glue and swearing! Yes I think you are going to be correct. It must be the rubbers being thicker than original rubbers. Its just odd that my last restoration I fitted these quite easily, made me wonder if there were different manufacturers of rubbers. I cannot recall where I got the rubber last time though. I think I will have to shave down the rubber here and there and see if that can get the chromes closer to the original location. I would have thought if rubbers were being manufactured they would make them the same as the originals. I dont suppose anyone has an old rubber offset I could scrounge to compare with the new screen rubber I have? Mine was thrown away stupidly.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#9 Re: Roadster windscreen rubbers

Post by andrewh » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:58 am

ImageOk so I was lucky and found a section of my original windscreen rubber. There is considerable difference between the original and replacement. Not least that the channel for the body location is not the same and when the new rubber is placed on the body it has the effect of thickening the rubber overall. It’s no wonder the chromes won’t fit. Usual problem of reverse engineering a product and not doing it to engineering drawings. So the question is are there any other suppliers of windscreen rubbers who have got it more exact ? I had heard that some restorers chose to fit FHC rubbers and cut them down. Perhaps that because they are accurate in the pattern ? Original on the right
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#10 Re: Roadster windscreen rubbers

Post by tim wood » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:18 am

I used a FHC rubber and cut to size. As with you I couldn’t locate one for an open car.
I fitted it ( with help from my wife and plenty of bad language - mine , not hers) I had to use a new screen which didn’t help the issue. Took about 3 hours. The side trims fit “OK” but definitely not as good as original. Held them in place with the black mastic and those blue plastic sucker things.

I sourced the rubber from Baines it seemed ok, but not a job I want to repeat.

Long and the short of it; either the screen or rubber wasn’t quite right - I guess this is similar to. Issues reported by others.
Sorry but probably not a lot of help !

Tim
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#11 Re: Roadster windscreen rubbers

Post by andrewh » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:08 pm

Well it’s solidarity at least ! They are known to be a pita but they need not be if the rubber was correct to standard. I may get a FHC rubber to compare. One may think for a car as collectible as an E type that original pattern seals would be available. Hey ho.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic