Complete interior

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
No Quarter
Denmark

#1 Complete interior

Post by No Quarter » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:31 pm

It's early days on this, but it's something I think a lot about :smile:

This bought-in-boxes car, yes the entire interior is in two moving boxes. Some look ok'ish, some look bad. I know for sure the seats need to fixed, and I have a local guy for that, and I need new carpets, best to buy a set I assume. But I'm looking for ideas on what to do about all the rest. I have several options in my head, and I'd like your input on what to maybe do, what for sure not to do, or any idea I haven't thought of. Myself, I have reasonable skills in most things on a car, but working with leather, crinkle free and all that, I'm not good at that.

The interior in the boxes looks very original and is red

Brainstorming with myself, in sequence of cost and quality:
1. Use as is. No bigger tears or anything, but compared to my paint, chrome and soon wheels, it will bring the car down
2. Buy a set(?) of red interior, as long as it is to be glued on the parts I have, with some friends, I must be able to do it. But won't be top class
3. Send it all to Poland, some US car friends have had great work done there
4. Send it all to local guy I've used before
5. ?

I guess one question is how good a job can the upholsterer do without having the car? I refuse to leave it anywhere, at least that's my thoughts right now.

If the buy-a-set option, where should I shop?
--
An old friend, that built an E-Type 30 years ago, had his interior done by an English guy that travelled to Denmark for a few weeks, did 4 E-Types on that trip, had all the material with him. I don't know the cost, I saw the result, fantastic. I think he's retired though :-). The old craftsmen disappear :sad:
--
Not my car but similar
Mikael
63 E-Type, 81 XJ6, 03 X-Type, 07 XKR
09 CTS-V
78 Longchamp
Author of "Tuning Made Easy"
https://www.amazon.com/Tuning-Made-Easy ... 373&sr=8-1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Complete interior

Post by caveman » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:52 pm

Hi Mikael,
Go with option 1. That’s exactly what I did post restoration and as suggested by my restorer at the time. The body, wheels and engine were perfect and the interior cleaned up nicely with leather cleaner, food and wax. It was well worn but didn’t detract from the overall appearance. I had the funds to complete but did like a bit of originality, something that’s missing from a lot of restorations imho. A good few years later, when the seat bases started to split and the foams disintegrated further, I bought a leather kit and did it all myself. Just time and good quality foams & wadding ensures a near crease free look, (remember the secret is a bin bag/seat plastic cover over the foams before sliding the leather covers over. Reach in and pull out once leather covers are in place). My radio console is the only item untouched as it was in such good condition. Good luck with your choice. :fingerscrossed:
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Complete interior

Post by abowie » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:35 am

One of my E types has had a full ground up resto but we reused the original interior, with new carpets and careful repairs.

It looks great. The patina adds to the car, rather than detracting from it.

I prefer it to my 2 other cars with brand new interiors.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#4 Re: Complete interior

Post by bitsobrits » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:35 am

Patina in interiors can be a wonderful thing if there are no split seams or major abrasions, even if the rest of the car is pristine. Adds emotion and time depth to the machine. It's only original once. Why not keep it original for awhile, just cleaned and hydrated. You can always do it later if you feel the need for new.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
No Quarter
Denmark

#5 Re: Complete interior

Post by No Quarter » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:25 am

Thanks Steve, Andrew and Steve.
I hadn't thought there would be many for option 1. I'll have a good long look at what I have before I buy anything else...
Mikael
63 E-Type, 81 XJ6, 03 X-Type, 07 XKR
09 CTS-V
78 Longchamp
Author of "Tuning Made Easy"
https://www.amazon.com/Tuning-Made-Easy ... 373&sr=8-1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#6 Re: Complete interior

Post by Jeremy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:50 pm

What I would say is that some new leathers on restored interiors (matt, grainy, no creases) look like a brand new Audi. Probably because they are using the same leather supply. Original leather with wear, creases and scuffs (but cleaned up) would look far better IMO. When GB Classic Trim retrimmed my car - the interior was shot - I opted for the (more pricey) Vaumol and I am so glad I did. It looks just right... It sort of gleams, is developing creases where they are supposed to be, and smells wonderful.
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic