Wiper park adjustment control

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 Wiper park adjustment control

Post by andrewh » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:37 pm

I cannot find in my various publications any reference to which way to turn the park adjustment control on the bulkhead to fine tune the position the blades stop. Rather annoyingly there appears a little slack in the mechanism, in that when they do stop you can manually move them down to where you would like them to be parked. I am assuming that knob controls this slack, but no information springing out at me. Other than someones comments not to play with it! Which I have now done. I could move the wiper arm down but I would worry that it may decide to park on my painted bulkhead top which would not be good for my paint. Anyway if there are any instructions that others have seen or know please share. thanks Andrew
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Wiper park adjustment control

Post by caveman » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:41 pm

My wipers park position was slightly out after fitting the intermittent wiper upgrade.
I used the under bonnet adjuster (clockwise to tighten cable) to adjust the mechanism and park function was restored. The manuals didn’t explain in depth but if you get someone to turn the under bonnet nut, you can observe the movement on centre spindle (behind centre dash panel). I removed all 3 wiper arms prior to ensure correct operation without dragging wiper blades across dry windscreen.
There’s a picture and more of an explanation here of the scissor action contact breaker attached to the centre spindle;
https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/wiper-p ... /401556/18
Here’s what the cable looks like;
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#3 Re: Wiper park adjustment control

Post by andrewh » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:24 pm

Thanks very much Steve, thats just what I wanted. I have noted that the drivers side spindle has a little free play where as the other two dont move rotationally at all when its switched off. The free play must be in the mechanism somewhere which is causing the drivers side to stop slightly above where it could go to if there was no free play. Its not the end of the world to reach out and drop it down lower on the screen when parked but if I can see the issue now is the time to deal with it. Well actually the time to deal with it was before the wiring was all in and dashboards, but then I was not able to check it all as it wasn't wired in! Funnily enough my XJ12 series 1 does exactly the same doesn't quite park where it should unless you move the blades down.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic