Simon Bolton

#1 excessive heat

Post by Simon Bolton » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi Guys Series 1 2+2 1966
Nearly finished sorting out initial priorities such as
New exhaust
new rear shocks and springs
new petrol tank
new u/j on steering column(what a pain!)
new header tank
No more now until next year(cost soon racks up)and I want to enjoy it.The only problem areas that I would like to address at some point are;
New Hi-torque starter. Any problems to anticipate?
Whining gearbox in 1,2 and 3 gears and rattling idler.I was thinking of going for a 5speed in the future (is this huge cost and problems?) so do I just ignore for the time being?
Heat build up in the cabin.Talked to the tech at SCparts and he said that there is only 1 heat shield above the silencers on a 2+2 but not one in front of that as in the standard car.Correct or not?Is there anything I can do-maybe fabricate my own or treat the problem on the inside with insulating blanket?
I would really appreciate your thoughts/experiences and guidance.Many thanks Simon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:55 pm

Simon

1. I bought a high torque starter from Rob Beere as it already has the dowels in place and does not need the spacer plate. Not an easy job to do with the engine in place but doable and worthwhile - no more heart stopping 'will it won't it' catch before flattening the battery. I can recommend Rob's starter verses others based on my extensive research.

2. A 5 speed box is very worthwhile but avoid the Getrag (slow and clunky) and go for the JT5 (Borg Warner T5) or equivalent. Cost of kit is about ?2500. Gear change is fast, gear lever is in the same place and you do not need to hack the transmission tunnel. All you want to know here: http://www.5speeds.com/ I have a T5 and a 2.88 diff and it makes for a great touring machine. E-Type Fabs are making their own 5 speed box and it looks good but none of been delivered yet. Derek Watson sells a T5 kit, CMC sell the JT5 in the UK. Fifth gear is an overdrive 0.8.

3. Heat build up can be easily sorted using Kool-Mat on the inside of the car. Helps with noise insulation also. Works incredibly well and should be on everyone's list of upgrades. My experiences here: http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181
If you have the engine out you can line the transmission tunnel with Reflect-a-cool or one of the other reflective barriers but unlikely you will need it with Koolmat installed. Cheaper to buy a roll rather than the "pre-cut" kit which needs cutting anyway! Buy yourself one of the Woolies glue brushes to make the job easy.
Last edited by Heuer on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

daverawle
Great Britain

Post by daverawle » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:22 pm

I agree with David, do not fit a Getrag if going to a 5 speed box. I did that and regret it so am going to do it all over again with a JT5.

Dave
1963 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:19 am

Simon, getting back to your problem of cockpit heat, make sure every hole between the inside and outside of the car is plugged, including the oft-forgotten handbrake cable grommet. I've seen them missing on some cars, and this will allow heat from the exhaust, final-drive and rear brakes to enter the car via the handbrake area.

In addition to using Kool-Mat in strategic areas, consider lagging the exhaust downpipes with Thermo-Tec or one of the other fibreglass exhaust wraps.

I once experimented with replacing the steel-pack silencers under the floor with straight-through pipes, per the factory tuning manual, leaving only the chrome resonators to deal with the noise. It did seem to mitigate some of the interior heat, but the sound above 3,000 RPM was incredible. Tunnels were great fun.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Simon Bolton

#5 cool interiors

Post by Simon Bolton » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks Guys great info.Too much cost for this year but next year these are my projects.Whilst I think of it, where to go for a good Webasto installation-I'm worried about cowboy installers.Many thanks Simon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andyp

Post by andyp » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:39 pm

Simon

http://www.tudorwebasto.com/

The only place to get a Webasto fitted. I've thought about it as I think it improves the looks of the 2+2 but my car came with a metal electric sunroof from new so I ought to keep that or take her off the road for a bit and cut the roof off completely.

Andy
1966 2+2 MOD Conversion

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Simon Bolton

#7 webasto

Post by Simon Bolton » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:14 am

Many Thanks Andy, Another 'next year' project

Simon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BevanIMP

Post by BevanIMP » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:42 pm

[quote="Heuer"]Simon

"E-Type Fabs are making their own 5 speed box and it looks good but none of been delivered yet"

If you speak to Harry at E-type UK, he is about to have the above gearbox fitted in his demonstrator. I took the time to take a look at the gearbox at the XK60 event, and was impressed by the overaul quality of the box with an extremley short shift. It is built from billet ally and apparantley fits straight onto the e-type bell housing.

Hope this helps.........

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Simon Bolton

#9 5-speed

Post by Simon Bolton » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks for that Bevan.?3000+vat is too dear at the moment so I will let the dust settle and have a look next year-looks good though. Simon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:58 pm

Thanks, interesting information. I saw the ETF 5 speed at Stoneleigh and was very impressed with the build quality. Although their reputation is second to none I cannot understand the commercial logic of developing yet another 5 speed box. The Borg Warner Mediatronics JT5 and T5 variants are a direct fit to the E-Type bell housing and have been installed in countless cars with great success (mine for a start). The Getrag 5 speed box is indeed clunky and best avoided; Eagle will not sell their 5 speed box outside the company (I tried!).

If ETF can make the box at a competitive price and ensure reliability then it will be a worthwhile option. Trust Harry will give it a good hammering and give us a balanced report comparing it to the T5, in due course.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andyp

Post by andyp » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:14 pm

I cannot understand the commercial logic of developing yet another 5 speed box

Now that is exactly what I was thinking David. What is wrong with the T5 as an E Type box? It might not be the latest in gearbox thinking but on a 40+ year old car it's cutting edge.

There is no way the new box can be built cheaper and why would you want to play with a new design when the T5 has been proved itself over millions of miles.

ETF produce beautiful kit but why re-invent the wheel. Even in a very nicely milled billet case.

Andy
1966 2+2 MOD Conversion

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:50 am

andyp wrote: Even in a very nicely milled billet case.
If there is one thing that really gets me started is anyone who say their product is "made from solid billet alloy" as if it is a badge of honour. Basically it just means they can't afford to cast it and do the job properly. Billet = CMP (cynical marketing ploy).

I wish ETF all luck and it is good to see a small plucky British company take on the might of the Borg Warner Corporation. I suppose almost everything else E-Type has been developed - frames (ETF), manifolds/silencers (Classic Fabs), brakes (Zeus et al), radiators (Cambridge Motor Sports), wheels (MWS/Dayton/Borrani), ally bonnets (CMC) etc, etc so there is not much left. I have to admire JD Classics though who have gone off-piste with carbon fibre prop shafts, transmission handbrakes, ABS, electric power steering and a lot more creative thinking. Never had any dealings with them but I really must arrange to drop in and see them when I am in the area.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic