Water Leaks

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
S12+2

#1 Water Leaks

Post by S12+2 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:53 am

I recently took my S1 2+2 on a very enjoyable trip to Classic Le Mans. As anyone who went will recall, we passed through torrential rain both on Wednesday and Thursday before the event.

Hardly surprisingly, I discovered that the old girl leaks - a lot! Both front and rear underlays were sodden and the boot was also wet.

Although I've been told that 'all E types leak - live with it' I would like to try to solve this problem before the dreaded tinworm has his way!

Has anyone successfully found a solution and if so, where is the best place to start?

Nick

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:35 am

Nick, you should be able to get the Coupe and 2+2 completely watertight?the main reason that they survived a lot better than convertibles.

Assuming that the door and tailgate gaps are correct, I would suspect that it?s simply old and hard rubber seals that are causing the problem. Take the carpets out and sit inside whilst somebody else is hosing the car in various places?you?ll soon see where the problem is.

The glass seals are also prone to leaking, and may need replacing or new sealant applied if the seals are still pliable. At the bulkhead, check all covers / bungs / grommets that could let water in, including the windscreen wiper shaft rubber seals.

It?s time consuming, but you should get there!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:45 am

Nick

Leaks are a pain to solve as even a thimble full of water can spread to appear as a flood. First thing to check are the front carpet fasteners. The plastic 'sockets' press into the floor and the plastic plugs go through the carpet and into them. Unfortunately the sockets have a habit of lifting out of the hole in the floor because of pressure on the carpet. This leaves an open invitation for water to enter. Try a new set of carpet fittings (plugs and sockets) and make sure the sockets are fully seated adding a dab of silicone to be sure they seal against the floor metal. You can see the ends of the sockets under the car so you could try running a bead of silicone around them as well. Not personally found a totally reliable way of keeping them in place.

On my OTS I found the Jaguar script on the boot lid allowed water in so I again dabbed silicone on the underside fixings and it cured the leak. Your rear hatch may have a similar problem.

Rear carpets are at the mercy of the door seals so check the sill seals carefully for fit and make sure they are attached the right way around for your car. Some models require the rubber lip to be facing upwards, others downwards and many cars have them done badly.

Final check is to get in the car and get someone to play a high pressure hose on various panels and seals to see what happens.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:03 pm

Both of my FHCs suffered from water leaks around the "dog leg" portion of the door front. Those seals need to be fresh and compliant, and of good quality. Over the years some of the aftermarket seals had the density of fuel hose and would not compress propery. Some were so bad the door wouldn't close without a good slam.

Another area worth a look is the door drainage. These have small passages and fill up with debris quickly. I've also seen them missing from some cars and this will allow any water that finds its way into the door past the window squeegees, to empty over the sills into the cockpit. The drain ducts are secured with alloy pop rivets and chemical stripping during restoration usually leaves them at the bottom of the tank. Please don't ask me how I know this!
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
S12+2

Post by S12+2 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:18 am

Many thanks for the suggestions everyone - I guess I'll be able to get another chance to see where the water's getting in on my way to Goodwood if the forecast's right!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Car-Nut

Post by Car-Nut » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Nick,

With the mixed bag of weather we had you should now where your leaks are now :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
S12+2

Post by S12+2 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:59 pm

Well, I certainly found water in the car but I did find one way to prevent the water soaking into the underfelt - I left it at home!!
There was a considerable amount in the front wells - about a quarter of a pint each side. However I also discovered that I don't have any of the water drain cover brackets referred to in another thread and my bottom rubber seal is fitted upside down. Also, the drivers door hinge sags badly so I breathed deeply and bought a new one. Once all the above are attended to then maybe the outlook will be drier!
I doubt I'll get much done before the Norwich Union run so if it rains that day, I'll be the one in the cream 2+2 doing the backstroke!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic