Starter motor fixing

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
jagpeter

#1 Starter motor fixing

Post by jagpeter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:44 pm

I thought that I was quite handy with the spanners but the wretched top bolt on the starter motor is troublesome nd keeps working loose. I find that a socket with a raft of extensions can almost fit the nut ( at the front) but there is so little room next to the solenoid that my socket will not fit sufficently well to apply any turning moment !. Similarly at the bolt end I have yet to find a long enougth 1/2 '' spanner to fit !
Am I just incompetent or is there a technique that does not involve dismantling half the engine ?
Peter
557 EXK FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charles Russell

Post by Charles Russell » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:24 am

Did you take the go through the access plate on the passanger side of the transmission tunnel to get to the starter top bolt?

Charlie

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andyp

Post by andyp » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:27 pm

Or the drivers side if you are in the UK.

You can just do it from underneath but it is tight and you do need to be right under it.

The factory workshop manual suggests removing the distrubtor to make room to get it out but I managed without.

Andy
1966 2+2 MOD Conversion

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:46 am

I used an Allen bolt to replace the hex bolt and the Allen key allowed me enough room to apply some torque (with the aid of a Mole grip I seem to recall).
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:05 pm

I know this is citing the obvious, but since I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, here goes:

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND REMOVE WATCHES AND JEWELRY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELECTRICAL!

Some years back a friend allowed the gold bracelet he was wearing to complete the circuit between battery and ground. He now has a scar showing a very nice imprint of the chain's pattern around his wrist.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

stradman

Post by stradman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:06 pm

Moeregaard wrote: Some years back a friend allowed the gold bracelet he was wearing to complete the circuit between battery and ground. He now has a scar showing a very nice imprint of the chain's pattern around his wrist.

Nice one! :roll:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic