rain-water filling the footwells!!

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
wozrig

#1 rain-water filling the footwells!!

Post by wozrig » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:23 am

hi, firSt timer on this forum but looks like a good place to figuring out some issues i have on my 65 series 1 FHC. Just returned from 1500 mile trip which started in the most unimaginable rain we had been having here over some time. dodged landslides, pot-holes road closures over first two days , but could not avoid the driver and passenger footwells filling with water!! 1-2 inches!! probably squeezed 5-7 litres each time we stopped. !! saw a little water coming in over the sills and figured it was not draining from door top drain quick enough and spilling over(being forced over whilst driving) but this was just too much for any rain coming down and thought it had to be more likely forced up from underneath(behind wheels??) as it stood in pouring rain for some time and didn;t let in any water, got to thinkg it was being forced in . can anyone suggest where this problem lies? i wash the car and nothing comes in.. had body restoration couple of years back and had it back to repairer who found nought back then. !!!! thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:05 am

Firstly you need to check the door drains are clear and that the rubber door seals do not cover them or force the water over the sills, although you should notice this happening. Biggest culprit is usually the carpet fixings which are plastic 'sockets' forced into holes in the floor. The carpets are retained by plastic plugs which go through them and into the sockets. It is quite easy for the sockets to be lifted out of place during use so leaving perfect apertures for water ingress. Easy to check!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
wozrig

Post by wozrig » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:43 pm

thanks heuer for your supporting reply. i checked the floor pan for carpet plugs/sockets and none found!(but thought if it came in via them, it would also drain, which it didnt). anyway, i decided to search the data base here and found a thread from 2008 which highlighted the 'door drain ducts'. so when i checked i see my car doesnt have them!! seems that probably panel shop didnt re-install them! anyway thats an arguement i may have to have, but in meantime have emailed SNG for parts and take it from there. so again. thank you, and lets hope this is the cure.. back to lovin my E again
warren

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
wozrig

Post by wozrig » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:49 pm

received message today that SNG Barrett do not stock the Drain ducts for the doors. does anyone have suggestions for other suppliers of e tpye panel parts? thanks
65 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 am

They are easy enough to fabricate - just copy the one in the picture you found. They are supposed to butt up against the door seals which should have cut-outs to accommodate them but they will work without them. When you say you could not find any carpet plugs/sockets do you mean there are no holes in the floor pan to accommodate them or the holes are there and unfilled?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
wozrig

Post by wozrig » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:04 pm

heuer, there was no holes. my carpets have only just sat there(very annoying as they slip). yesterday i called the guy who repaired the body some yrs ago and explained the situation. he has asked me to bring it in and he will fab & fit them(although he questioned that they would allow so much water in) he said the mark 2 had similar ducts and will use one there as template.
by the way, overnight I heard from Martin Robey & Hutsons who have the parts for future reference..
Hopefully i can soon update here on a succesful fix, meanwhile Thanks to all for the support. regardswarren
65 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Larry Wade

#7 rain water filling the footwells

Post by Larry Wade » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:41 am

Hi Warren,

I had the same problem some years back.

First check your doorseals. The front edge seal is particularly important. Does it run the full length of the door?

If it's good (or even if it's not) the most likely problem is that you've got a gap between the bottom of your windshield and the car body. When you wash water sort of runs off. When you drive the wind blows water straight back, up the bonnet, through the gap and onto your feet.

Ever since plugging that gap my feet have been dry.

Best wishes,
Larry
Larry Wade
62 OTS 877842
La Canada, California, USA

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
wozrig

Post by wozrig » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:53 am

Hi Larry, thanks and will now go check those door sill rubbers that they do indeed run the length of the sill... but could you please expand on that area"between wind shield and the car body" in more depth please. without pictures, i,m at a loss to comprehend ..( mis-spent youth is my excuse)
65 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Larry Wade

#9 rainwater filling the footwells

Post by Larry Wade » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi Warren,

Along the bottom edge of the windshield is a chrome molding.

Between the body and that chrome there can be a gap. This is especially true where there is a kind of valley that starts on the inside of the headlights/wheelwell bump. Water gathers in this valley and runs uphill into the base of the windshield.

If the gap is totally plugged the water is then blown away from the sides of the car. However is there is a leak there the water will go straight back into the passenger compartment and run down into the footwell.

I'd attach a picture but I don't know how to. If the above description is not clear feel free to email me at lwade@caltech.edu and I'll send you a couple closeups.

Larry
Larry Wade
62 OTS 877842
La Canada, California, USA

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
wozrig

Post by wozrig » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 am

update.....
got the E back home today from fabricator who made up the drain-ducts and placed them(4 each side) to marry up with drain holes in doors. He tested them prior to fitting and had water running into car from sills at stand-still after some minutes. No water after fitting with same test and was fortunate to have rainy day to test run the car.. still no water. dadaaaa! maybe fixed and seems to have cured a draught that was coming in from front area of si;ll. anyway, roll on a miserable wet day for me to give it a good work-out. i will post the result. thanks to all.
warren
65 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

adam
Great Britain

Post by adam » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi just found where i bought mine from. Thames valley repairs limited Tel 01628 781717 saw them in jaguar world.Perfect fit used self tappers instead of pop rivets easier to remove should you want to.

Adam

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
wozrig

Post by wozrig » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:43 pm

thanks adam, but repairer made some up and only charged minimal to fit . he pop riveted but of course couldn't spot weld so used a silastic to seal the verticals to door. still no rain to test it.....c,mon!!
65 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jongant

#13 Water leaks on FHC

Post by jongant » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi

I too have a FHC and use it in all weather. Tracking down leaks can be tricky but one discovery blew me away. The water was coming in through the two screws that hold down the B post just behind the door.

It was just bleeding in and running onto the carpet behind the seat and soaking into the floor carpet under the seat.

A bit of sealant on the threads of these screws......problem solved.

Jon Gant
Jon Gant

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic