Replacement wheels

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
meeka
New Zealand

#1 Replacement wheels

Post by meeka » Fri May 18, 2012 12:13 am

Hi,

I am intending to replace the rather tatty 5 1/2" wheels (205 tyres) on my 1968 Series 1.5, and would appreciate some advice. Having researched the many other posts, I have finally decided to revert to the original 5" wheels with 185 15 tyres and now need to settle on the manufacturer and style. Three questions:

1. Can anyone provide an evaluation of the Dunlop Wire Wheels supplied by Motor Wheel Services? The attraction of these is that there is a set currently available in NZ whereas other brands will need to be imported to order. I've seen many references to Daytons and Borranis, but not to Dunlops.

2. Apart from views on the the aesthetics and easier cleaning, is there any technical reason why I should not replace the current flat hub wheels with the earlier curly hub style?

3. Stainless or chromed? Assuming that stainless are stronger and maybe longer lasting than chrome, is there any downside?

Apologies if I have missed the answers on other posts.

Thanks,

Graham Holland
1968 1.5 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Fri May 18, 2012 9:04 am

The Dunlops are probably made in India . There have been some people who have thought that the quality was compromised, but equally there are others who have been perfectly well satisfied . In any event, wire wheels are very susceptible to having their trueness upset by kerbing and similar incidents and thus one never knows whether complaints about lack of trueness are attributable to manufacturing defects or to useage

I have also seen mixed reviews of the Daytons also . Higher priced , but whether there is a commensurate increase in quality I do not know . On balance, if there is a new set of Dunlops at the right price, I would go for them . Borranis are in a different league altogether : peerless quality but a price to match , and their appearance is not to everyone's taste

As far as stainless v chrome is concerned, stainless are more durable from an appearance point of view, but I have some reservations about the use of stainless for dynamic parts such as wheels because it is undoubtedly more brittle than properly chromed mild steel ( although there are endless arguments about hydrogen embrittlement of plated parts so there may not be much to choose in it) . Stainless spokes and chrome rims are probably the best price compromise

There is no reason why you cannot change from flat to curly or vice versa, but make sure the wheels you get have the same offset as the ones currently in use

Finally, have you considered having your existing wheels powder coated ? You can still use 185 15 tyres, and although silver wheels are not quite as glitzy as chrome , they look very nice, very authentic, and are much easier to maintain whilst saving you large sums of money

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

Post by abowie » Sat May 19, 2012 12:46 am

I have some MWS wheels; very happy with them.

WRT import vs local. I bought a set of 5 wheels from the UK for a little over half the price I could buy the same wheels in Australia. Not sure what the Kiwi Customs arrangements are but here no duty or GST is levied if the article plus freight comes in under $1000. I just got the UK seller to send them one at a time.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue May 22, 2012 3:47 pm

The MWS wheels do have a habit of developing loose spokes but as long as you check them once a year (tap each spoke with a spanner - it should ring) they are very good. Personally I would avoid stainless steel because a) they are more likely to discolour than chrome, b) they are not 'period' and c) the colour tint tends to clash with the chrome on the rest of the car. Powder coated wire wheels look superb on any solid colour E-Type but if you have an Opalescent finish the chrome are the better choice.

As for tyres have a look at the video Dougal posted before making a decision. The Vreds are (were!) cheap but are only HR rated which means the carcass is not up to the performance of an E-Type (not top speed but cornering forces) and you should tell your insurance company about the "modification" to original spec. You will find the tyres that give you the most enjoyment are the Michelin XVS followed by the Cinturato's. In fact I have just been to have two new Michelin's fitted up at Longstone and whilst I waited they sent me out in their Fraser-Nash chain drive - you learn the meaning of bump steer very quickly! The guys were bemoaning the fact that, uniquely, E-Type owners were really reluctant to fit "decent quality" tyres to their cars but owners of less exotica (MG's, Healey's) were quite happy to follow their recommendations. :?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
meeka
New Zealand

Post by meeka » Thu May 24, 2012 12:12 am

Many thanks for all the advice.

Will make final decision over weekend once I have all costs and delivery time data.
1968 1.5 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

Post by Mark Gordon » Thu May 24, 2012 11:21 am

David, I suspect that the reason that the MG and Healey owners are more willing to spring for the higher priced tires is that, after paying for parts and repairs on their cars, they have more available cash than we Jag owners do! :wink:
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu May 24, 2012 11:47 am

Very true Mark! However although four Michelin XVS will currently cost ?400 more than a set of Vredestein 185's the difference in handling will easily compensate. But if anyone is wedded to Vred's then buy quickly as their prices are rocketing up. e.g. Vredestein 205/70VR15 are now ?261 each, Vredestein 185HR16 are now ?255 - the price has doubled, so although the 185HR15 is only ?115 at the moment expect it to follow suit with the next batch. It will then be a no brainer to go with Michelin.

Longstone Tyres confirmed the ubiquitous Pirelli P4000 is no longer made so if you have a unrepairable puncture or a worn tyre you are stuffed. Means you will have to buy a pair of something else but mixing tyre makes/sizes on an E-Type will ruin it so budget for a full set :shock: Same applies to the Pirelli P6000 by the way.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic