gearbox woe

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
stevex75
Great Britain

#1 gearbox woe

Post by stevex75 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:48 pm

Well thats it! After 11 years,a house move,an extention nearly as big as the original house,fishing,shooting,motorcycles and and and oh yes,I knew there was something else,work, the car is finished. After a few tweeks at the mot station (both rubber mounts for the steering rack had come apart,and a leaking clutch slave cylinder) it was awarded its first mot ever. The car in question is a 1963 fhc which came from Ohio in 2001 and has been stripped and totally rebuilt. After the mot came "the first drive". This was the moment Id been thinking about for nearly as long as Id owned the car. First of all Im just about 6ft tall and the wrong side of 16stone but I managed to get in the car without embarassing myself. So far so good. Then the car was started and put into gear. As I went to pull away I realised I was in reverse so back to neutral into 2nd then into 1st. Up with the clutch and were away. My first ever drive of an E Type.
However once we got going it became apparent that 3rd wasnt going to join in the fun. Try as I might without being too brutal I just could not get 3rd. I just had to go from 2nd to 4th. So now I have to find out why.
Before I start stripping out the interior to get at the gearbox has anyone any ideas as to what Im looking for? All the other gears work ok-just no 3rd. Other than that it was brilliant. Driving along at 530pm when everyones on their way home from work and I was in an E Type felt tremendous. Cant wait till Ive got the full set of gears to play with-hopefully in time for the Goodwood Revival

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisC
Great Britain

Post by ChrisC » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:49 am

Congrats on passing the MOT and for having your first drive... I cant answer your question but wanted to recognise the significant event.

My knowledge of gearbox internals is severely limited so I will leave others to suggest reasons for the fault.

Cheers
1964 FHC 4.2
My Etype restoration progress www.connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul Buckley
Great Britain

#3 Re: gearbox woe

Post by Paul Buckley » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:27 pm

However once we got going it became apparent that 3rd wasnt going to join in the fun. Try as I might without being too brutal I just could not get 3rd. I just had to go from 2nd to 4th.

What was the problem with that third gear?
Paul

1972 S3 OTS, 32k mls, a survivor.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Allam
Canada

#4 Re: gearbox woe

Post by Geoff Allam » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:15 am

Congratulations on the first drive. Are you able to downshift from 4th tp 3rd gear. If so then it is likely that the shift linkages are worn or poorly adjusted causing the difficulty going from second to third.
Geoff Allam
67 series1 ots under restoration
64 series 1 fhc burning lots of oil
53 xk 120 fhc sitting in garage waiting for attention

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#5 Re: gearbox woe

Post by christopher storey » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:43 am

I doubt there will be any reply . This thread is 7 years old !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul Buckley
Great Britain

#6 Re: gearbox woe

Post by Paul Buckley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:34 pm

:questionmarks: I realised that Chris, but I can always live in hope!

I find it somewhat disappointing when someone posts a problem and then doesn't follow up with how it was resolved.

Cheers
Paul

1972 S3 OTS, 32k mls, a survivor.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic