How 3.8 Brake Master Cylinders Work (Without the Smoke and Mirrors)

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
rfs1957
France

#1 How 3.8 Brake Master Cylinders Work (Without the Smoke and Mirrors)

Post by rfs1957 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:30 pm

OVERVIEW

For those that don't want to wade through this rather turgid stuff, and cut to the chase, here are the facts, drawn together after the various exchanges and study of parts that various Forum members were kind enough to supply or measure themselves. If you don't agree with these, please read and understand the Physics and the Arithmetics before you comment.

The 3.8 Front and Rear brake master-cylinders are not the same, but they have the same 5/8" bore ; the differences are down to the piston travel available which should be 1" for the Rear (top) and 1-3/8" for the Front (lower). This longer front travel is to take account of bigger front-pad push-back and bigger front-caliper pistons. Under normal operating circumstances this difference is irrelevant and using the "wrong" cylinders (ie two 'shorts') makes no difference whatsoever to braking split or power.

In extreme circumstances (slack front wheel-bearings ?) it just means you'll have to pump one more time to get the fronts hardened up. Essentially, the components within each (identical) cylinder form a combined length of about 101-102mm.

This is what the parts should look like :

The Front (lower) cylinder has a "Short" 50mm piston (so it can move further)

and a "Long" 52mm valve. Combined length 102mm.

The Rear (upper) cylinder has a "Long" 59mm piston (it has a shorter travel)

and a "Short" 42mm valve. Combined length 101mm.

These are not Jaguar drawings but my own, based on the parts I measured ; many of the dimensional details and variations are actually irrelevant to the way the parts function and some are likely to be due to wear and manufacturing vagiaries - but the drawings will hopefully help identification.

NOW FOR THE HISTORY OF HOW WE GOT THERE ...........

There is an abundance of appalling bad-science and voodoo written about the brakes on the 3.8's. I therefore thought some readers might find light relief in discussing them in the hard light of physics and arithmetic. We don't even have to use mathematics. Here is my sixpence-worth, and whilst I'd be delighted to modify the text as a result of polite corrections, the spotting of mistakes, and the highlighting of aspects that may be peculiar to my car, let's stick to engineering principles rather than bar-talk. The oft-invoked nonsense regarding Front-Rear brake balance is probably a good place to start.

Here's as good an example of complete failure to understand Physics and Hydraulics as you'll find on the Forum, unfortunately still quoted as a reference source :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hzpaajjoce0w ... 1.pdf?dl=1

complete with such gems as :

and :

which demonstrate absolutely NO grasp of the subject, hydraulic "differential" based on amounts of fluid being an inexistant concept save in the mind of the author, and completely irrelevant when both master-cylinders are of the same diameter and are attacked midway by the pedal effort.

Whilst it is clear that the Front brake cylinder should be different to the Rear (the piston and the rear spring-seat are different, such that the Front has a 9.5mm - 3/8" longer stroke), these differences make absolutely ZERO difference to the brake "balance".

To all intents and purposes, the 3.8 Front-Rear brake balance is determined by six things, all of them within the grasp of a half-bright O-level student with a grasp of Pascale's Law and a familiarity with Meccano.

1. Pedal bias
2. Master-Cylinder diameters
3. Caliper-Piston diameters
4. The Number of pistons per caliper
5. The Position of the caliper, which essentially means the "effective" Diameter of the disc
6. The Pad Compound

Point One - pedal bias

The first variable is the mechanical allotment of the brake pedal effort between the front and rear master cylinders, via the bias-bar and drop-link arrangement located in front of and below the Kelsey Hayes servo.

The servo itself is totally irrelevant to all our reasoning here since it just responds to the driver's effort on the pedal and adds a lot more.

Since this arrangement is largely invisible due to the cheeks of the pedal-box to master-cylinder housing, I built a replica minus the RH cheek-plate in order to study the behaviour of the different parts concerned.

I've labelled all the bits with names that seem to describe their function, and tried to refer to these consistently throughout the text.

FIG.1

Please note that I don't actually use the Kelsey-Hayes servo, for reasons that are outlined here:

http://www.etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3848

FIG.2

This shot shows the part that's missing on my car ; however, this makes absolutely no difference to the function and operation of the linkages and hydraulics. The first thing to notice is that the pedal effort is transmitted through the pedal crank to the servo link plate, and then into what I've called the push-strap for want of a better term.

This then pushes on the bias-bar via a pivot bolt that is exactly half-way between the two master-cylinder clevis pins, see Fig.2. There is, then, no mechanical bias via our 3.8 "bias-bar" since it attributes pedal effort 50/50 to the master-cylinder pistons, irrespective of how far one or the other has advanced. Each cylinder relies on the other one to "share" the pedal load, including when one or the other has failed, as we shall see, and the bias-bar - via its central pivot - keeps the mechanical advantage identical Front - Rear wherever the pistons may actually end up.

With identical 5/8" bore master-cylinders, then, we automatically get the same line-pressure in both Front and Rear circuits.

Thus Point One "pedal bias" is irrelevant, since there is none.

Irrelevant too is Point Two - master-cylinder diameters, since they are the same.

Point Three concerns the respective front/rear caliper-piston diameters ; the original calipers have 2 - 1/8" diameter Fronts (hence 17/8 to work the fractions later), 1 - 3/4 " Rears (and 7/4 or 14/8 for the arithmetic), so for a given line pressure (the caliper's clamping force being determined by the surface area of its pistons) the fronts produce (17/14) squared more grip on the pads, this shakes out to 1.47 times more.

Point Four there are the same number of slaves Front-Rear (4 each) so we can ignore this parameter.

Point Five is the radius at which that effort is applied to the discs ; a bigger disc requires less grip to produce the same torque (effort x distance). If we take the E-Type discs of 11" Fronts and 10" Rears, and consider that a 2" deep pad applies its effort 1" inboard from the edge, we get operating radii of 4.5" on the Front and 4" at the Rear.

So the product of Points Three (caliper grip) and Five (caliper position) give ( 17/8 )? divided by ( 7/4 )?, multiplied by 4.5 / 4.0, which in my book works out at a result of 1.65 times more braking on the front.

A quick bit of algebra converts this into a Front to Rear split of about 62% Front to 37% Rear.

Point Six is the coefficient of friction determined by the pad compound used. Since we don't have reliable figures and every car uses different stuff, we shall asssume these are the same material at both the Front and the Rear.

(Note that pad size is ignored, as under a given load from the piston a bigger pad spreads that load more lightly, and vice-versa, so does not change the reasoning - only its capacity to not overheat and evacuate the calories.)

No amount of argument about seal-positions on pistons (totally irrelevant) or the length of the push-rods (a complete red herring) etc makes any difference to these fundamental reasonings.

HOWEVER !

The travel of the master-cylinders DOES matter for the simple reason that the brake-pads are always at a certain distance from the discs before the brakes are applied (due to discs running out of true, slop in wheel bearings, the pull-back effect of caliper-seals etc), and these gaps have to be taken up by pedal and master-cylinder movements before the pads hit the discs and braking can begin.

The increased travel of the 3.8 Front-brake cylinder (plus 9.5mm / 3/8") can be accounted for in terms such as these.

The Front discs are bigger (for a given slop, this gives 4.5/4.0 increased push-back), and for a given push-back the effect with bigger pistons is to push back more fluid - ( 17/8 )² divided by ( 7/4 )² more in fact, at the front, than at the back - and the Front discs on the E-Type are far less well supported than the Rears, more exposed to lateral loading etc, so run-outs will be bigger.

It can thus be calculated that it only requires an extra 0.008" movement of the Front pads (in comparison with the Rears) to use up the famous - and elusive ! - 9.5mm (3/8") extra piston-travel of the Front master-cylinder.

(Could someone check my mathematical gymnastics ? master-bore ( 5/8 )² divided by slave-bores 4 x ( 17/8 )², multiplied by master-cylinder stroke 3/8" ?)

CONFESSION

Like most people, apparently, my car has the wrong 1" - travel Front master-cylinder fitted, VBM.4706, rather than the 1 - 3/8" travel version VBM.4038, but before we get our knickers in a twist over this, I thought it might be interesting to understand what effect this might have ?

On my car, at least, at rest, the pedal-box looks like this :

FIG.3

Note that the drop-link pivots around the top bolt, dictating the arc which the bias-bar centre-bolt follows, and the master-cylinder-to-clevis-pin lengths are Rear 54mm and Front 64mm, which - probably no surprise - is the same 10mm difference as their original travels, as we shall see.

This difference in lengths - on my car at least - is confirmed in this shot, below

FIG.4

Just to see what happens were either or both circuits to fail, here (below) is the maximum-pedal-travel position, with both cylinders at the end of their travels. The pedal isn't touching anything inside the pedal box, and the linkages are still perfectly happy.

FIG.5

This one (below) shows the Rear "collapsed", big fluid-loss for example, with the Front continuing to function - even if the rear clevis were to fall out - because the push-strap edge hits the lower end of the bias-bar and locks the whole thing up. So the Fronts continue to work unabashed.

FIG. 6

This (below) shows the Fronts "failed", imagine no-fluid and bottomed out, with the bias-bar now rotating around the Front master-cylinder's clevis-pin, and the Rears continuing to function.

NOTE HOWEVER, that in this case there is NO contact between the heel of the push-strap and the bias-bar as there was in the "Rears failed" example - maybe because the travel of the Front cylinder is shorter than it was designed to be.

This might mean that the pedal would go further to the floor before the Rears started to bite .. but would make no difference to the ultimate braking available on the Rears.

FIG.7

In conventional operation I have simulated two situations, the first (below) with just the Front moving by 10mm, to take up the hypothetical Front-Rear difference in travel due to pad retraction.

FIG.8

The clevis-pins are now on a line parallel with the master-cylinder necks, although the drop-link is not quite in the optimized position that would set the bias-bar centre bang in-between the master-cylinder bores. If we now depress the pedal further, moving Front and Rear cylinders an extra 5mm, which might correspond to a typical hard-braking situation (ie 10mm of extra slack on the fronts, plus an extra 5mm on both) then we get (below) a pretty-much optimized geometry for the whole set-up.

FIG.9

Here, then, side-loads on the ball-ends of the operating push-rods are reduced to a minimum, which is the whole point of the mechanism we're studying, and one might reasonably conclude that this was Jaguar's intention - maximum braking effort occurring at the position in which all the geometry "clicked" into the optimum alignments of the mechanical linkages ?

CONCLUSION ?

At this point I've called "hard-braking", we've only used up 5/25 or 20% of the Rear-brake travel, BUT 15/25 or fully 60% of the wrong (short 1") Front-brake cylinder's travel.

If the correct 1 - 3/8" Front were fitted, in this position my car would have used only about 40% of its stroke, leaving a much bigger margin of safety to cope with excessive pad pull-back, water in the brake circuit etc.

Furthermore, it seems likely that with the correct longer-travel Front master-cylinder fitted, even if the Front clevis-pin were to fall out, the famous contact between the push-strap shoulder and the bias-bar would be re-established and the Rears continue unperturbed.

So this longer 1 - 3/8" master-cylinder makes NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER unless you lose all the fluid in the rear circuit, and even then you might just have to take a second pump on the pedal.

It certainly makes no difference whatsoever to the Front-Rear bias.

CAVEAT

I would suggest that it's not enough to just modify internal components (with a shorter piston, and a modified spring-support) to give 3/8" extra travel without completely understanding the interaction between those parts and the shuttle valve that shuts off the fluid-ingress port at the end of the cylinder, since the action of that valve depends on its position within the piston/spring-support interface.

WHICH LEADS ME TO MAKE THE FOLLOWING APPEAL !

If anyone can supply an example of the "longer-travel" master-cylinder internal components, of guaranteed provenance, or tell me where I can find a supplier that is familiar with these nuances (I've looked to no avail) then I will fit them to the mock-up and carry out the same analysis as with my "wrong" one, publish the results, and then get them drawn up so we can commission the necessary parts to convert "shorts" to "longs".

And nail, once and for all, the myths.
Last edited by rfs1957 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Well done Rory. I've never had a 3.8 E but have worked with bias bars and linked brakes.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rfs1957
France

Post by rfs1957 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the comment, I've tweaked the maths and the reasoning a bit since I first ran a draft past you a month or so ago, but the real clincher was being able to study and measure without the RH cheek obscuring the mechanism. I had an allergic reaction to the bad-science and obfuscation I got from trying to consult elsewhere, and was alarmed by my inability to find anyone in any of the usual suppliers who seemed to understand (and even less want to understand !) the issue of longer travel on the front cylinder.
Watch this space !

Kind regards,

Rory
Rory

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#4 3.8 brake cylinder parts

Post by tinworm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi I have the parts you require - when they get back from Norway to the UK that is - you can borrow them for your test. I had the fully original set up on my 3.8 FHC twenty years ago and had no braking problems at all (is this unusual ?)

regards Barrie

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rfs1957
France

Post by rfs1957 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi Barrie,

That's very generous of you - any idea on time-scale ?

Rory
Rory

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#6 required parts

Post by tinworm » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi Rory very soon - if they dont appear in the next week (springer has them currently - his master cylinders turned out to be Girling) I have another Dunlop master I can strip down for you.

regards Barrie

pm me with a mailing address

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

38E
Canada

Post by 38E » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:00 pm

I don't know about the travel length but these are the internal components of the front cylinder on my '62. I'm pretty sure they are original due to the dates etc. stamped on the aluminum tags. BTW, are you sure that the bias bar has equal length segments. It's a long time since I worked on mine but I had a feeling that one side was slightly longer than the other.
Clive, 1962 Coupe 860320
(sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rfs1957
France

Post by rfs1957 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Clive,

Not sure I know how to get beyond the screen you've posted, and can't see the components on your car page. To within 40 thou (that's 1mm to us French) the bar is symmetrical on my car, tho' if mine turns out to be a freak I'm open to other propositions.

Rory
Rory

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

38E
Canada

Post by 38E » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:28 am

Rory,

Try this on photobucket then. Maybe the other link doesn't work because it's on Jaglovers which is somewhat restricted. (Shows on my computer though.) This is the front cylinder. IIRC, the rear is similar but has fewer internal parts. Maybe the piston assembly is shorter.

Clive, 1962 Coupe 860320
(sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

Post by abowie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:11 am

Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

Post by Simonpfhc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:50 pm

What a fantastic post Rory - well done! As you know, I have also been pondering the previous explanations about the different size pistons in the two brake master cylinders. I have now had a look at my assembly and can now (thanks to your help) make some observations......

So firstly, your measurements of the bias bar are the same as mine - totally symmetrical around the central pivot. Also, the measurement of the front MC (lower) push rod is the same as mine - 64mm. However, the push rod for the rear MC (upper) on mine is much longer. This has confirmed my theory that it was much longer than it should have been - no doubt from a PO that had replaced the MC for a new unit and didn't swap over the push rod. What I have had to do on my assembly is modify the linkage by cutting off about 8mm from the threaded portion of the upper pushrod and drill a hole in the lower pushrod U bracket to effectively move the clevis pin closer to the shank. I'm glad you state that the length of the pushrods is not too critical as the effective lengths are now 54mm for the lower and 64mm for the upper. However, whilst I totally believe everything you state, I still don't understand your statements about the longer piston of the front MC providing more travel. Surely if the piston is longer, there is, in effect, less travel. And I also totally understand your explanation of the need to have longer travel on the front to take up the 'slack' but again, there is, in effect, less travel at the front due to the longer piston?? And just to clarify my understanding of travel, it is the amount of movement that is allowed before being mechanically stopped. I've now reached the limits of my knowledge, but would like to understand more.

But first I need a beer.........

Cheers

Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rfs1957
France

Post by rfs1957 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:50 pm

The Front piston is shorter, not longer, together with a different rear spring-seat and a longer shuttle-valve stem (I believe) so that the overall length of the ensemble is the same. The shorter piston enables it to go further down the bore (3/8" further) before it locks up solid. I'll draw everything once I'm sure so that we can spot wrong mix-and-matches.

Rory
Rory

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

38E
Canada

Post by 38E » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:57 pm

rfs1957 wrote:The Front piston is shorter, not longer,.....

Rory
Ha! I'd just posed the question of which was the shorter piston but somehow the post disappear. It seems logical that the shorter piston would allow the longer travel, ie, for the front.

Andrew Bowie's picture shows two different length pistons. My photo shows just the shorter piston which I'm positive is in my front cylinder.

Although there is a cut-away view of a Dunlop master cylinder in the manual, there is nothing which would help determine which set of innards go where.
Clive, 1962 Coupe 860320
(sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

Post by Simonpfhc » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:30 pm

OK, so all this time I have been thinking I have two rear brake pistons in the two MC's - both being just 1". Indeed, all the other reading material I have seen suggests that the longer piston is for the fronts! It's certainly all a lot clearer now. Rory - all this clarification is fantastic, there is so much confusion that seems to have been published.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

Post by abowie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:58 am

Yes Clive you are correct. The front MC is the lower one. Its piston is shorter, allowing more fluid to be moved when the brakes are applied. This directs more braking force to the front brakes.
Andrew.
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rfs1957
France

Post by rfs1957 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:02 am

My apologies, but this is not correct. Whilst the lower cylinder is indeed for the front brakes, its shorter piston is simply to give it a longer travel and has NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER ON BRAKING FORCE. Moving "more fluid when the brakes are applied" is a nonsense.
Rory

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

Post by abowie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:05 pm

If that's the case how is the brake bias achieved with two cylinders of identical diameter?
Andrew.
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

Post by MarekH » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:46 am

The only way to achieve a brake bias with two masters of the same diameter is to connect one of them further away from the brake pedal pivot than the other. This will fix the ratio of movement of master #1 versus master #2. The one further from the brake pedal pivot moves more liquid per inch of pedal movement. Changing that mechanical lever ratio changes the bias. The shorter brake master can play no part in bias ratio so long as its piston has not reached the end of the bore. When it does eventually reach full travel, no further braking pressure can be applied on that circuit and all further pedal movement effects braking on the master which still has some travel left in it. In that respect, "bias" now changes rapidly towards the circuit which can still shift some fluid when this cap is reached. (If a really clever designer could bias the pedals so that they lock up the wheels together at near to full normal travel, feathering the brakes once the pedal was almost fully down would effectively create a manual form of ABS via cadence braking.)

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rfs1957
France

Post by rfs1957 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 pm

:questionmarks: Sorry, but it is not the movement of the pistons that delivers the bias.

Movement has nothing to do with it and is a misleading concept.

There is no pressure in either front or rear 3.8 brakes at all until both front and rear cylinders have "pumped-up" and got the pads hard against the discs, beyond which point the front-rear braking splits are determined uniquely by the different slave-cylinder diameters, the brake-disc diameters, and the pad compounds, irrespective of pedal "travel" - which is anyway just generated by the elasticity of the mechanical components and the compressibility of the brake fluid.

It is mathematically quite simple to arrive at the same front/rear splits as were quoted by Jaguar in period, with standard components, using just the squares of the bores of both masters and slaves, and caliper location radii, and people would do well to apply that same reasoning when they move calipers around and/or change them because there are some surprising/unsuspected/unsettling results that pop out.

APPEAL FOR DIMENSION CONFIRMATION PLEASE ?

To get back to the true purpose of this analysis, these are the drawings of what are believed to be the critical parts that differentiate the Front and Rear Master Cylinders on the 3.8. The sizes shown are "what we found" and have not been corrected for obvious wear, nor optimised by standardising many of the detail dimensions that would be identical on fronts and rears if one were to remanufacture.

These below are the REAR brake parts (long piston, short valve)

and these below are the FRONT components (short piston, long valve)

I say "believed" because I'd rather subject these to comment and correction before carving them in stone.

I'm sure about the Rear parts, and Barrie/Tinworm - who kindly supplied them - is sure about the Front parts shown, but since there were 2 generations of pistons used we need to see what the differences between those generations might be.

The Front used Piston VBO.7007 together with Rear Spring Support VBO.7010 at first, followed by Piston VBO.8612 and Rear Spring Support VBO.8599.

The Rear used Piston VBO.7105 together with the same Rear Spring Support as the Front, and then changed to Piston VBO.8600 with the same later VBO.8599 Support.

It therefore seems likely that the differences are limited to details regarding the way that the Rear Spring Support and Piston interact (there's a tongue on the former that bends into the latter) and can have no bearing on the physics, but might affect the behaviour of the shut-off valve.

However, it would be nice to understand all the ramifications before getting any parts made, so if anyone can check some pistons and valves they have lying around ?

Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by rfs1957 on Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rory

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

Post by MarekH » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Rory,

I think what I have said is true for a system where two masters are connected directly to the brake pedal, but that's not as per the photo, which looks as though one piston simply takes up the slop of the other. This (the pictured) system has a fixed brake bias, so why even have the big brake bias discussion?

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic