Shelley Jack

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
richard btype
Great Britain

#1 Shelley Jack

Post by richard btype » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:27 pm

I am looking to purchase a shelley jack for my 62 etype - any offers?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wagstefan
Germany

Post by wagstefan » Sun May 05, 2013 7:34 am

Can be found from time to time on Ebay (mainly from the US) but in the meantime with horrifying price tags (last one changed hands for ~1240,- US$. The previous ended at ~700 US$ (with a damaged handle hole) and I got mine for ~300 US$ three years ago neither me nor the seller knowing that there is a differenciation between two spindle or three spindle jacks - thanks god it was a three spindle one and therefore the right original E-Type jack).

Good luck!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
richard btype
Great Britain

Post by richard btype » Sun May 05, 2013 8:17 am

Thank you for your post - I phoned around and managed to find one at RS & J Smiths so looking forward to that arriving and having the car journey ready.

Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wagstefan
Germany

Post by wagstefan » Sun May 05, 2013 8:49 am

Hi Richard,

That is real good news! I hope you found a 3-stage one and it did not cost a fortune? The price you paid would be interesting. You did not come across a second one as I do have 2 very early cars (OBL FHC and a very early Flatfloor roadster) and only have one correct jack? Thank you!

Regards

Stefan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
richard btype
Great Britain

Post by richard btype » Sun May 05, 2013 9:43 am

Stefan

I paid 650.00 inc carriage. Have only come across the one to date! Happy hunting!

Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun May 05, 2013 2:13 pm

richard btype wrote:Stefan

I paid 650.00 inc carriage.
"Smelling salts - over here! QUICK!"

"Sir..sir, wake up"
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun May 05, 2013 3:42 pm

Pound for pound it is far better value than the original key fobs which now fetch ?500+ :shock:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Sun May 05, 2013 4:53 pm

richard btype wrote:Thank you for your post - I phoned around and managed to find one at RS & J Smiths so looking forward to that arriving and having the car journey ready.

Richard
Richard Smith had one at Stoneleigh a few years ago, it kept turning up for at least 4 of the meetings, he was selling that one for ?175 which included the handle.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
richard btype
Great Britain

Post by richard btype » Sun May 05, 2013 5:45 pm

David

Probably the same one! I was watching the Quentin Wilson introduction to his recently restored etype on you tube and showed his jack which (when filmed - 18 months ago?) he mentioned paying ?500.00 for it. The thing is I tried to purchase the one on ebay - it went for ?850.00 and was sold to the states so after learning that the Smith one would be 650 I decided to visit my shrink for a weeks intensive therapy before deciding - to get the right one before they go up even further! I know I 'll feel better when they sell for over a grand a piece and should I suffer a puncture one day I'll feel better getting some practical use in fact I might need to run over a nail on purpose ...

Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Sun May 05, 2013 8:09 pm

I kept looking at it and looking at it thinking I don't really really need it and in all honesty it would have sat on the shelf with the other one. I carry a 1 ton bottle jack and collapsible handle in the boot of my car. Now of course with prices hitting silly money I wish I had. :( Looks like I'll be getting my two stage Shelley in the screw cutting machine at work and making another section, don't tell anyone when you see it on ebay for a grand :shock: Oh BTW, that's not just words I will do that but not sell it to anyone, it will stay with the car. I don't need money that badly.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wagstefan
Germany

Post by wagstefan » Sun May 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Richard,

Did you get the original handle with the jack? If so, you really got hen's teeth as the handle is even a multiple rarer than the jack itself - congrats! I got one at Ebay but am not sure, if it was the right size (either the hole is a bit worn or the handle is one little size too small - could be for any other type of shelley jacks). And the price - well I also would love to get one cheaper, but this is the current market situation. It is always worth trying to get one for a more reasonable price but if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. I will keep looking for another one without hassle. And Dave, you are right. It will remain on the shelf rather than trying to use it in a flat tyre case. There I will rely on the later style type.

Regards

Stefan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Mon May 06, 2013 1:21 pm

From the instruction manual:

:shock: :lol:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
richard btype
Great Britain

Post by richard btype » Mon May 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Dave K.

---- Make that two number screw cut sections please - I purchased a Shelley LJ225 from the states (thinking I was being clever) and it turned up as a two stage for an Austin Healey - sometimes it is an expensive learning process being clever when lacking in knowledge! The expensive part however was the custom duty/vat - a third of the purchase price. Still it is a nice jack in good condition and will I'm sure serve its time with some AH owner when I find one whose looking.

Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
richard btype
Great Britain

Post by richard btype » Mon May 06, 2013 5:48 pm

stefan

I'll let you know about the handle once it's turned up sometime this week. Providing the jack is in good working/safe order I had intended to keep it in the car and use it should the need arise on the road at least - for the workshop its the trolley jack. I appreciate this is perhaps a bit dumb given these ridiculous values and like yourself had hoped to pick one up at a far more affordable price but decided to make a move. I try to reason that if they can still race 250 GTO's at Goodwood revival then why be too precious?
Not sure I've convinced myself yet!

Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
richard btype
Great Britain

Post by richard btype » Mon May 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Dave Jones

What a terrific piece of artwork - my other favourites being the longstone tyre ads - timeless...

Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Mon May 06, 2013 5:57 pm

This is what happens when you use inappropriate tools:
Last edited by Heuer on Mon May 06, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
richard btype
Great Britain

Post by richard btype » Mon May 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Even better!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Mon May 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Richard,

When I eventually do get round to doing I'll let you know. I bought mine from Canada. The Woman who sold it on eBay said her Father had it with his E-Type and it was original. They sold the E-Type after he died and 'forgot' they still had the jack. When I told them it was the wrong jack she had sold me she didn't reply! Luckily Pete Crespin brought mine back so I didn't have to pay any extras or I would have been really p*ssed off :D I paid ?180 for mine and that was about 7 years ago.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wagstefan
Germany

Post by wagstefan » Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Richard,

My "correct" purchase was pure coincidence. At time of purchase I did not even know, that there are two types existing (2 and 3 stage ones). I first read about this difference in the E-Type Club mag approx 1 year or maybe less after purchase. When reading I was almost sure, I would not have the correct one but was surprised when checking the jack and seeing, that it had 3 stages. A few months later one came up on Ebay with a damaged handle hole, where I inquired if the jack had 3 stages. After the public answer of the seller the price went absolute berserk. So blame me. Well I think ?650,- is a lot of money but in the meantime seems to be a fair price for these jacks. So I will continue looking around preparing myself to pay this price. But before I will head for an early bonnet to convert my outside bonnet latch FHC. Unfortunately I cannot have all at once. I just bought an original fuel pump for the first 500 cars in the US. This also amounts to a similar price than such a jack and well, the pump is even rarer. Others invest in gold and just let it lay around. These jacks at least can theoretically wind up a car even if not really secure. Hopefully we never will be forced to use this early type on uneven underground ;+)

Stefan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
richard btype
Great Britain

Post by richard btype » Tue May 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Stefan

The jack has just arrived and is in a nicely restored condition but without the correct handle! It is just a straight section of stainless steel and the diameter is too small - I'm sure the original would have been in mild steel but what would be useful to know is what length the handle would have been and the correct diameter? I can see why the safety aspect has been covered - and perhaps the square block on top served a double purpose in that when the jack went through the floor you would know the rust problem could be ignored no longer!

Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic