S2 bonnet on S1.5 car?

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
FrankMolleman
Netherlands

#1 S2 bonnet on S1.5 car?

Post by FrankMolleman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:30 pm

Hello my name is Frank Molleman, I live in the Netherlands, and I am busy finding my first E-Type. I am learning details each day, but still lack some of the knowledge to fully justify the correctness of the S1.5 2+2 on the images below.
I am in the process of purchasing this car and I have some doubt about the some details. The front bumper seems S2, as for the bonnet I am not certain. It has indicator lights above the bumper, no side lights, but I am not sure about the opening on the front, weather this is a modified S2 bonnet to make it look like a s1.5 bonnet, or that this is original fitment.
The seats with head rests seem to be S2 as well.

Any knowledgable comments are welcomed!

Frank

http://s835.photobucket.com/user/Knarf237/slideshow/
Last edited by FrankMolleman on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Start by downloading and reading this: http://www.jcna.com/library/concours/2006/e-type1.5.pdf It is the JCNA guide to the S1.5. You could also read and compare with the S2 guide: http://www.jcna.com/library/concours/2006/e-type2.pdf
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FrankMolleman
Netherlands

Post by FrankMolleman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:54 pm

I have already covered all these pages from JCNA, but please check the pictures and you will see what I mean.
As mentioned in my first post, I am doubting if the opening in the bonnet is the correct dimension. In the JCNA files nothing is written about the size of the opening, just small or big. I am not experience enough to judge what this is.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:18 pm

The bonnet of the S1.5 had the same mouth as the S1, recessed badge bar with a round Growler badge and open headlights. The headlight eyebrows were shorter than on the S2 and the indicators were the same as the S1. What you have pictured is correct apart from the mouth, badge bar, badge and the missing bumper extensions. Someone went to a lot of trouble to do all that! To put it right you will need a new bonnet centre section, new front bumper extensions, badge bar and badge. If they bodged this repair I suggest you check carefully for any other damage or changes to the front of the car.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FrankMolleman
Netherlands

Post by FrankMolleman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:33 pm

So my assumption this is a S2 bonnet is correct! Probably the original front got damaged at some point in time.
I will put some extra attention to any damaged parts under the bonnet

Generally the car serves my demands, drivable but not concours, 3x SU, manual gear and a rear seat space to bring our son.

Hopefully this car has a new owner next week

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:39 pm

No it is not an S2 bonnet, it is an S2 bonnet centre section and probably an S2 under panel. The wings are S1.5 as are the headlamp eyebrows, bumpers and side lights. To get these to fit an S2 bonnet is a lot of work so I assume they decided on adapting the S2 centre section to fit the S1.5 eyebrows.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FrankMolleman
Netherlands

Post by FrankMolleman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:51 pm

I have read again in the JCNA files and found out that the S2 bonnet was limited by a gas filled operating strut.

On one of the pictures I have received from the car this strut is visible. So it seems more S2 parts have been used.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Yes but the S1.5 bonnet linkage bracket on the tubular frame is still there and I notice they are painted some sort of metallic colour when they should be the same as the body, yellow in this case. Has the car had a re-paint? I would suggest even more caution before agreeing to purchase. Do you have pictures of the engine bay and dashboard for a start?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FrankMolleman
Netherlands

Post by FrankMolleman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:01 pm

I will upload the pictures I have to photobucket. If you click the picture you will have access the the entire library.
The front subframe seems galvanized or some similar finish, it is definitely not pained. According the the current owner the car has been restored some 25 years ago, and had a repaint.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnney
Great Britain

Post by johnney » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:21 pm

As David stated earlier the centre section of the bonnet is S2 the bottom section after looking at the rear side of it, I would say is S1 as it has the holes/captive nuts for the balance bar links. However the front lower mouth is not visible in any of your pictures and if it was S2 then the raised pressings for the side lights are missing. The 1.5 judging guide while useful is incorrect on some points, for example it states that one of the ways a car can be quickly identified as a S1.5 is by the dash having rocker switches. Not so as plenty of the later S1 cars had toggle switches. It doesn't look to have been restored too well, the front right side bonnet hinge is homemade, the carb dashpot dampers are not original etc. We need to see a picture of the front to give a better opinion on the bonnet and the chassis number of course.
Last edited by johnney on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnney

1968 FHC series 1
1E21862

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

Post by 288gto » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Is it me or are the cam covers the late S2 ones with the notch out for the crossover?
Again looking at your photobucket pictures it seems to have the late S2 steering column lock as well.

Simon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FrankMolleman
Netherlands

Post by FrankMolleman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:03 pm

I do not have more pictures of the bonnet than the ones posted. The car seems a bit of bitza, with a replaced front frame, S2 parts, also the car is originally automatic, now converted to manual. The car number is 1E78856BW I do not have an engine number, nor do I know if the original engine is in the car.
Can this still be a good purchase??

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:32 pm

How much are they asking for it? It needs to be really cheap to take a chance on it I would say. Also the stone guard is missing.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FrankMolleman
Netherlands

Post by FrankMolleman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:39 pm

20k$ but i think that is negotiable.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

osgii
Switzerland

Post by osgii » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:50 pm

I bought my car without having seen it. I'll never do it again. It was really close to an original s1.5 on pictures, but when it arrived here in CH, many things was hidden.

If your seller is not able to confirm if the engine is a matching number one, its not a good sign.
1E35547

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:51 pm

It would not be the first car I would go for. Is the price US dollars or Canadian . And where is the car. If it is still in Canada then you will need to add freight, insurance, clearance costs , and European Taxes/import duty on the total, if you are bringing it to Europe , and by then it is becoming quite an expensive car . Also, have you actually seen it? Judging condition from photographs is notoriously unreliable particularly where, as here, the car is photographed when wet.

Of course, if you have seen it,it is a less dangerous proposition, but I agree that it is a bitza car, and that has to be reflected in the price which by N.American standards does not sound all that cheap

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FrankMolleman
Netherlands

Post by FrankMolleman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:05 pm

I would never ever purchase a car unseen, I have a couple more classic cars and I know this is very tricky. I will be in Toronto where the car is next Friday, so I can touch it, knock on the panels and probably even drive it.
The price is in CAD and the shipment incl. duties and insurance are around Eur 2.000,00.
If you compare what you can purchase for that budget in Europe, you look at serious restauration projects!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Maybe you would have difficulty buying something for that price in Europe, but in the USA:
http://tinyurl.com/pev8lmv
http://tinyurl.com/oszejsl

And quite frankly I think that yellow car will eventually come under the classification of 'serious restoration project'. I am not even sure you can safely plate the frames given they are Reynolds steel and brazed - never seen it done before so you may want to do some research on that (plating can make the underlying metal brittle). The car is on XKEdata.com but it was only added a couple of weeks ago so nothing new there.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FrankMolleman
Netherlands

Post by FrankMolleman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:13 pm

I am pretty sure the plating is not a problem, I had a Rickman motorcycle before with a nickel plated frame that was also made of Brazed Reynolds 531 tubes. Temperatures for Chrome, Nickel and Zinc plating never go over 150deg C.

I am really curious what I will discover next week.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Please keep us up to date and remember the Forum is very active so take more pictures if you are in doubt, post them and seek opinion. Good luck!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic