Headlight bowls fitment

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#21 Re: Headlight bowls fitment

Post by andrewh » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:16 pm

1/2 inch will be fine. I think the washer bolt is the same screw from memory, but its several years ago so best check. Certainly UNF. My advice is to run a nice oily taper tap through the captive in the bulkhead before fitted a new screw. Awful to damage the thread and have to replace it.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

E-by'eck
Great Britain

#22 Re: Headlight bowls fitment

Post by E-by'eck » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:26 am

thought I'd add to this post after my Series One exploits on headlight fitting and in particular seating rims. Be aware that there is a special Series One seating rim. SNGB make it at £25 when the "el cheapo" version commonly available is only £10. That one is fine for later etype models without the closed headlights.

The difference is "el cheapo" puts the h/lamp adjusters at 9&12 o'clock. The £25 version puts them at 3&6 o'clock which is the intended position FOR SERIES ONE cars. Guess what....I purchased "el cheapo" as I didn't know about the £25 version and was advised by the SNGB competitor it was the only seating rim available and to drill extra holes in the headlamp diaphragm at 9&12 to make it work, which I have done...argh!!!!. El Cheapo does do the job, but the 12 o'clock adjuster is tight on the bonnet top/wing joint.....don't make my mistake!!

Still can't understand why the Series One seating rim version should carry such a premium price..what a rip off. :evil: :evil:
I bought my headlight parts piecemeal and on reflection a kit would have been a better idea....Holden Electrical are a good choice'

Pictures of "el cheapo" seating rim and the headlamp diaphragms plus the info from the Series One wkshop below'
Graham

E type renovation .... 1962 3.8 Ser1 RHD DHC
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic