Choke warning light

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
PaulColeman
Great Britain

#1 Choke warning light

Post by PaulColeman » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:43 pm

I went to the Classic Car Show at the weekend and ended up buying a load of bits from SNG who had a stand there. I didn't intend to buy anything I just happened to be passing!! Anyway, the choke warning light was missing off my dashboard so I bought one but it doesn't seem to fit properly. I put the red plastic bit into the chrome surround, put that through the dashboard and then screw the bulb holder onto the back of it and before it tightens up the red plastic bit has run out of thread.

How can this be? It's like this...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-E-Type ... 3f41490731

Paul.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Paul, I just happened to have in my hot little hands a reproduction jewel for the choke lamp. I had ordered this many years ago, for my '65 FHC, but by the time it arrived I'd substituted one from another car. It's probably 20 years old. Anyway, I took some measurements and they are as follows:

Overall length measured under the head: .500 inches
Length of threaded portion: .325 inches
Thread type: 3/8-24 UNF

You can probably add a few threads using a die, but the biggest challenge will be holding onto the doggoned thing.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:34 pm

Paul : these things are always a bit of a problem, because the design was altered during the life of the car to take a push in type of lamp rather than the more sophisticated one you have got, and I suspect ( although I cannot be definite ) that the hole in the dash was altered as well. I should get a upply of washers big enough for the jewel lens shank to go through , and pack the rear of the dashboard with these before screwing the holder on. That way you should be able to tighten up without running out of thread .

PS also, it might be an idea to put a single washer under the head of the jewel on the outside of the dash, which will prevent its being pulled through excessively

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
PaulColeman
Great Britain

Post by PaulColeman » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks for the replies.

It seems a bit odd to me that it would be so bad? The dash panel thickness is about 2mm but the light won't tighten down to much less than about 5mm by the look of it.

I did think about padding it with washers but then convinced myself that I must be doing something wrong as it couldn't possibly be so bad!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

Post by paulsco » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:28 am

Paul,

I bought one from SNG a few weeks ago with exactly the same problem. I packed it out with some washers, but it is something that SNG should have easily got right in the first place; do they not trial fit the parts they sell??

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
PaulColeman
Great Britain

Post by PaulColeman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am

I'm guessing it comes off a different car and it was the closest thing they could find?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

barberlou
United States of America

#7 Re: Choke warning light

Post by barberlou » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:58 pm

I have a 64 e type and I need help with the choke warning light. The jewel in the holder is mounted in the dash panel, but what holds the socket where the bulb goes in the back of the panel. The socket falls out where the bulb is held in... what actually holds the complete unit together (hard to explain). And, where is the earth ground at on the unit. Thank you for any help.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#8 Re: Choke warning light

Post by malcolm » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi Barberlou - what's your name by the way? This is an old thread from 2014. I suggest you post your enquiry as a new topic on the series 1 thread, and you will be more likely to be spotted.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic